H.264 mp4 conversions and Windows Media Player (Solution)

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Sonevar
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

H.264 mp4 conversions and Windows Media Player (Solution)

Postby Sonevar » 13 Apr 2014 19:08

I had a problem with the files I converted to mp4 when trying to play them in Windows Media Player. Now I know people will be yelling "Why are you using WMP when you have VLC!!!?". The answer is, I am often asked to make copies of church sermon videos and presentations for congregation members who are often Less than tech savvy and trying to tell them WHY vlc is better, that vlc is legal, that vlc won't harm their computer, telling them how to download and install vlc and/or arguing with them that 2 minutes is NOT "too much bother" takes HOURS and is usually Futile. That said I try to make my videos run on WMP to save the headache.

Now on to the reason for my post:
WMP has a problem running files converted to mp4 by VLC. It runs the video fine, but no audio. Further it displays some kind of processing bar in the corner that says "The Network is too busy to play the file at its original quality". Since this is a file on the local hard drive, a network error message seems silly. Fast foward through hours of internet research on resetting WMP to resolve the Error. Since other mp4 files on my drive (not converted) played on WMP I figured the problem was with the conversion. Fast forward again through hours of H.264 compatibility and third party codecs for WMP. I wanted to find a way to make mp4s converted from vlc run in WMP. Fast forward yet again through hours of searching for, installing, using, uninstalling, and finding a better Freeware codec analyzer (G-spot final choice). I finally discovered that the issue is not with the H.264 video codec that the default conversion profile vlc uses for mp4s but rather with the MPEG-1 audio codec that it uses.

SOLUTION: Create custom conversion Profile
Encapsulation - choose MP4/MOV
Video codec - Select H.264 from Drop down menu
Audio codec - Check "Audio" box, check "Keep Original Audio Track" box (the audio track box is CRITICAL), Select Mpeg 4 AAC from dropdown menu (I also choose 44100 Hz sample rate, don't know if that makes a difference)

You will notice a slight decrease in audio volume on the converted file but other than that it should run fine in WMP 12 (tested 3 converted files)

Edit: So far this method only seems to work with .flv, other file types still display the error

New Solution - change Audio to MP3 do NOT keep Original

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”