How to keep a record of all media played?

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
MountainX
New Cone
New Cone

How to keep a record of all media played?

Postby MountainX » 13 Jan 2014 05:49

I want to keep a listing (a log) of all the videos I watch and the playtime of the video where I stop watching (or an indication that I watched it all if I watch to the end or within a few seconds/minutes of the end). I want to do the same for audio files too.

Let's say I have a playlist like this:
  • Lect01_DifferentialEquations.m4v
    Lect02_DifferentialEquations.m4v
    Lect03_DifferentialEquations.m4v
    Lect04_DifferentialEquations.m4v
    Lect22_DifferentialEquations.m4v
    Lect23_DifferentialEquations.m4v
    Lect24_DifferentialEquations.m4v
I would like to know which ones I watched completely and the datetime I completed it. If I watch part of some, I would like to know the datetime as well as the point within the video (or audio) where I stopped. In simplified form, the listing would look something like this:
  • Lect01_DifferentialEquations.m4v 2014.01.11 completed
    Lect02_DifferentialEquations.m4v 2014.01.11 completed
    Lect03_DifferentialEquations.m4v 2014.01.11 completed
    Lect04_DifferentialEquations.m4v 2014.01.11 03:38
    Lect22_DifferentialEquations.m4v
    Lect23_DifferentialEquations.m4v
    Lect24_DifferentialEquations.m4v
The listing (log) should be comprehensive. That is, it should cover all the media I play in VLC, in all directories or even on different servers.

It would be really awesome if VLC could use this to resume playing this playlist where I left off. However, I want the listing to be human readable. And I can always manually advanced to where I stopped.

This feature would be great for any professional earning continuing education or for students or for anyone into audiobooks.

Does this feature exist in VLC? If not, is there a plugin for this? If no to both, would this be a valid/desireable feature request?

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”