External SRT subtitles over UPnP in iOS

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
Svet
New Cone
New Cone

External SRT subtitles over UPnP in iOS

Postby Svet » 12 Jan 2014 03:49

Hello VLC dev team,

First of all let me congratulate you on the excellent job developing the iOS VLC app! I recently upgraded to an iPad Air and with VLC I can play 1080p MKV files smooth as butter! Truly impressive work! Plus the app gets better with every new version! Thank you!

Now to the point: When streaming video files over UPnP from my Synology NAS the VLC app does not recognise at all external SRT subtitle files. Embedded subtitles in MKV files are recognised and displayed perfectly.
I've searched forum and other sites for a mention of this but couldn't find any reports or explanations. Is this a current limitation or is it up to the DLNA server (in this case my Synology)? Other DLNA clients such as my Samsung TV seem to work fine with external SRT subtitles.

Thanks for your time and help!

Svet

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: External SRT subtitles over UPnP in iOS

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 13 Jan 2014 00:42

Yep. SRT over Upnp is not standardized, so that's why you don't see it working. Someone needs to look at the upnp framework to fix that.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Svet
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Svet » 13 Jan 2014 01:02

Thanks for the lightning fast reply, Jean-Baptiste! :)

So basically, as i kind of knew already, upnp is a mess and it is a miracle it works at all. :) I've had my share of bad, bad experience setting up and trying to get dlna servers and clients to work. As a user mostly but nevertheless... Case in point: Most Samsung TVs would work with external SRT subtitles over dlna but do not recognise embedded subtitles at all. Go figure!

I know VLC for iOS is quite feature rich already, but have you guys considered adding SMB shares as a local network option? This would solve the issue of separate subtitle files and in theory should be a lot more compatible compared to upnp.

Thanks again!

Svet

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 13 Jan 2014 18:13

Supporting SMB is hard because there is no suitable open-source library available right now which is also App Store licensing compatible. libsmb, derived from samba.org, which is usually used by most competing apps is not an option, as it licensed under the GPLv3, which is clearly not app store compatible.

Regarding your initial question, we are only fetching the file you clicked on, right now. However, what we could do is pre-fetching the external subtitle prior to starting the movie playback (or in parallel), so we could feed it as an external subtitle to VLC. This is a bit hackish, but should work quite fine. I'll play with this, once I have a bit more time (which will be some time later this year, I fear).
If anyone would like to look at the code in question, I'd be more than willing to lend a guiding hand, since VLC for iOS is quite a beast to develop.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Svet
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Svet » 13 Jan 2014 21:37

Felix,

Thank you for the clear and encouraging reply! Knowing that a solution could be implemented even if it takes time is very good and encouraging news indeed.

I cannot tell how important this use case is - perhaps it is only an edge case. However, I do know that in my home country (small state in Eastern Europe) external subtitles are basically the norm for one reason or another. Working with external subtitles seems more versatile and (at least at this time) seems to be the popular way.

I'm not a developer myself (i used to be years ago) so unfortunately i cannot land a helping hand. But i've got patience. :)

Thanks again to you and the whole team for all your extraordinary work! I for one really appreciate your efforts!

Svet

Aurel11
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Aurel11 » 27 Mar 2014 17:33

Hello,

I'm really interested in this feature : external SRT subtitles in iOS.

It would be a great improvement in vlc for ipad, to be able to read a video with external subtiltles on a distant hard drive.

Thanks.

stefek202
New Cone
New Cone

Postby stefek202 » 14 Apr 2014 15:31

+1 to request. it's must have:)

luigiscerre
New Cone
New Cone

Postby luigiscerre » 01 May 2014 14:09

+1 I'd really wish for the same too

Aypeus
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Aypeus » 03 May 2014 20:47

The app Infuse in App Store have the ability to both chose imbedded subtitles and it can download chosen languages and it works like a charm of upnp, but it can't handle high quality sound in MKVs and so that is why I myself chose VLC over anything else any day but I still wanted to mention that the feature VLC really should have is already out there and working like a charm..

Best regards, Daniel

ScarAce1989
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ScarAce1989 » 08 Sep 2014 12:55

Still no update?

This is a most have feature and it is strange this isn't working already.

manroca
New Cone
New Cone

Postby manroca » 13 Sep 2014 15:35

I am also interested on this external subtitles feature, are you working on that?

Steamywee
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Steamywee » 25 May 2015 18:47

Hi Guys, Here we are nearly in June 2015 and I have just discovered this thread concerning the "non-appearance" of subs stored in SRT Files.
I must admit that I know absolutely nothing technically about the magic that is Digital Video, I am just in awe of those who can make it happen....more so because they are generous enough to release their work "into the wild" so that we may all benefit from it for free!
Thank you all.

Not sure if what I'm wanting is the same as the folks above me in the thread stack, I'm at that age where my eyes AND my ears need glasses, so subtitles are a large part of my enjoyment of Video.
I'm using a HooToo TripMate Nano to wirelessly stream MP4 Video files with an associated SRT subtitle file from my pocket to my iPad whilst on long journeys.
Sadly, at the moment, VLC and the "stock IOS player" do not seem to see the SRT file.
(Just another "Thank you" to the Open Source Community, ... the files I refer to are "Gleaned" using Get_iPlayer, yet another magnificent tool freely given!)
I have tried to select the SRT file before the MP4, but I'm told "There is no application which can read this file" I suspect this is not what Felix Paul Kuehne had in mind when he says "However, what we could do is pre-fetching the external subtitle prior to starting the movie playback (or in parallel), so we could feed it as an external subtitle to VLC. This is a bit hackish, but should work quite fine." but it gives me hope that it may soon be possible. :)
My Thread:- https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=126376

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”