FLAC skipping in Rincewind

macOS specific usage questions
akindo
New Cone
New Cone

FLAC skipping in Rincewind

Postby akindo » 16 Nov 2013 17:09

Hi,

Thanks for the new Rincewind release! Seems there's many improvements. I am however experiencing audio skipping when playing FLAC files from the local disk. The skipping is not permanent, but happens every minute or so for 5 - 10 seconds. Am experiencing this problem both using the built-in line out on a MacBook running 10.7.5 and using an M-Audio Firewire 1814 soundcard on a Mac mini running 10.9. Not experiencing such issues with any other applications on either machine.

Anyone else having similar issues? :geek:

Thanks.

thidr0
New Cone
New Cone

Re: FLAC skipping in Rincewind

Postby thidr0 » 16 Nov 2013 21:14

This happens to me too! I tried playing from my HD and local disk. It skips all over the place. This is a pretty big issue because this is a large reason I use VLC.

I can't currently submit a bug ticket either.

akindo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby akindo » 17 Nov 2013 12:52

Agree. But as a temp fix, just go back to the last version: http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/2.0.9/

akindo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby akindo » 26 Nov 2013 21:58

Created a bug report (#9994).

aregee
New Cone
New Cone

Postby aregee » 27 Nov 2013 08:04

My first impression was that there was an initial buffer underrun at the beginning of every song. It is not, since I noticed that the bug on some song kept coming back and also lasting for a long time. Buffer underrun bugs is usually random in nature. This bug is not random, the cut-offs happen at the exact same places in the songs all the time.

Then I started noticing something interesting: The sound seems to cut off when it reaches below a certain threshold level, like the audio is put through a gate or a dynamic processor or something. But that is not correct either since the tempo of the song changes at each cutoff, meaning that some information is lost somehow causing the song to be compressed in time.

Knowing the FLAC format pretty well I will guess that the error lays in the processing of subframes, maybe skipping one of SUBFRAME_CONSTANT, SUBFRAME_FIXED, SUBFRAME_LPC or SUBFRAME_VERBATIM either entirely or depending of some weird condition causes this effect. Whichever it is, it has to be a subframe type that is less common over all in a song, but more common if the volume goes down. (Might be a bug within SUBFRAME_LPC too.)

EDIT: forget this post, seems this bug is fixed in the latest beta. Seemed to be a bug that caused a sync loss, which also would explain the loss of audio.
EDIT2: and when I say beta, I mean nightly build.

GroundHogPDX
New Cone
New Cone

Postby GroundHogPDX » 05 Dec 2013 21:51

This is just an FYI than anything else - I wasn't sure if adding one more ticket would be useful, or if posting here might serve the same purpose.

I recently noticed the afore-mentioned skipping issue with 16-bit FLAC filesets which I just created for my home library from CDs.
Typically, I only run 24-bit filesets which I create from original sound sources, but I was backing up a few CDs, and that's when I noticed the issue.
(I'm running Mac OS X 10.7.5)
I had not been experiencing any (apparent) issues with 24-bit FLAC filesets, or video (VOB) files.

My first attempt to trouble shoot was to simply remove all elements of VLC 2.1.1 from the Mac, and do a fresh re-install.
That did not change the issue.

After locating this forum / thread, I removed VLC 2.1.1, and re-installed 2.1.0 (Rincewind), and it seems that everything plays fine now.

stokestack
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby stokestack » 09 Dec 2013 08:21

Same here. FLAC playback is unusable in 2.1.1.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 09 Dec 2013 18:32

Use 2.1.2
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”