VLN and Splashtop

macOS specific usage questions
holderlin2
New Cone
New Cone

VLN and Splashtop

Postby holderlin2 » 28 Sep 2013 18:19

I get the following message when I try to open almost any video file format in VLC: "OpenGL acceleration is not supported on your Mac. Your Mac Lacks Quartz Extreme acceleration . .. ." The Mac I'm using is a Mac Mini from Mid 2011 with 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MD and OSX10.8.4. I'm using VLC media player version 2.1.0 Rincewind (intel 64bit). I'm connecting to MacMini via SplashTop on my iPad. It works fine using iPad and SplashTop on my other Mac Mini. The file is located on separate drive attached via USB. I've tried "Default" and "Mac OSX OpenGL video output" as output module. I've also rebooted computer a couple times to see if that would help. Nothing I've tried so far works.

I was using previous version of VLC and deleted the preference files and folders, restarted and had the same problem. I then uninstalled VLC, including all preferences that had videolan in name. I installed VLC 2.1.0. Now I get the same message as before but some of the files play. It's not format dependent. Some Video-TS folders will play after getting the message others won't.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again,
Bob

giancagentile
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLN and Splashtop

Postby giancagentile » 07 Nov 2013 18:33

I'm facing the same problems. Can't find an answer anywere.

Jonathan Lipsmeyer
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Jonathan Lipsmeyer » 15 Dec 2013 18:36

Same prob here since Mavericks.

I've tried everything: reinstalling VLC; getting newest versions hoping for bug fixes; resetting the resolution on my i3 iMac (which worked temporarily).

Will someone please help if they know a solution. This is *mad* annoying--having to swat away a popup each time I open a non-mp4 video (mp4 videos seem ok).

HELP!

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 15 Dec 2013 21:51

This is rather a graphics card driver problem. If you are using Splashtop, it might be a problem with their software and you should ask them for a fix.

There are also reports that this start occuring on Mavericks, probably also because of a bad driver.

Jonathan Lipsmeyer
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Jonathan Lipsmeyer » 31 Jan 2014 21:06

Actually something else is afoot--if I change OS X user accounts, the Open GL splash error goes away. Hmm. Don't want to have to migrate to a new user acct, wish I could figure out how to solve this in my current acct.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 13 Feb 2014 11:41

Delete your VLC preferences then.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Jonathan Lipsmeyer
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Jonathan Lipsmeyer » 23 Feb 2014 16:23

SOLVED! Mille mercis, Jean-Baptiste! Deleting the preferences worked! Feeling pretty dumb now; I suppose I didn't realize that uninstalling/reinstalling diff versions of VLC didn't modify the preferences file.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”