Every Video file displays the same subtitles

macOS specific usage questions
ianginn
New Cone
New Cone

Every Video file displays the same subtitles

Postby ianginn » 28 Aug 2013 14:49

I'm a long time VLC for Mac user and know my around video and video players pretty well... but I can't solve this:

On a friend's Mac whatever .avi file is playing VLC always displays the subtitles of the same 'other' movie. The .srt of that movie is never in the folder of any of the other .avi files that are playing.

I'm really stumped. Here's some background:

I recently installed VLC on a friend's Mac, and showed her how to download a torrent, use Vuze etc, what a .srt file is, and to put the .srt file in the same folder as the .avi file, the file .avi and .srt filenames have to be identical etc. I used The Big Lebowski as an example, and all worked fine. So she downloaded a bunch of great films, and then called me to say the subtitles weren't working properly. It turns out that TBL subs are the only ones appearing... :!? I eventually deleted TBL .srt file after which VLC gives an error message that it can't find that file - I have a couple of screengrabs of that error message and the detailed version as well and will mail to anyone who may be able to help.

Very curious to hear what may be going on..

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2
Operating System: Mac OS

Re: Every Video file displays the same subtitles

Postby kdean » 28 Aug 2013 16:30

Maybe…

Preferences --> Show All --> Video --> Subtitles/OSD

Is there a file listed next to "Use subtitle file"? If so, try blanking that out.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”