Subtitles disappear when I fastforward/jump

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
HonksMC
New Cone
New Cone

Subtitles disappear when I fastforward/jump

Postby HonksMC » 03 Jul 2013 01:25

Hey all—

I've had this problem before. When I'm watching a foreign language movie or show, and I scroll forward for jump forward the subtitles disappear entirely. Hitting 's' and clicking through "video > subtitles > track" doesn't do a thing. In fact, the notification that should appear—the text in the top right corner that says "subtitle track — xxxx" doesn't come up at all, either. This doesn't seem to be a problem if I hold down the fast forward button, but that's extremely time-consuming and frustrating when I'm halfway through a three hour movie and had to close out to attend to real-life.

I just want to be able to jump forward and understand what the movie is saying. I'm crying right now. So hard.

Anyway, I'm using the latest version ("Version 2.0.7 Twoflower (Intel 64bit)") on OSX 10.7.5... This has been a problem once before, and then just stopped for whatever reason. I just download this latest update, and now it's happening again. Does anyone have any ideas? Can someone just validate me and say that this happens to them too? There's no information out there on this problem.

Thanks !

———————————

Update for those who care:

1.) Holding down fast forward turns out to do the same thing.

2.) I've found a remedy in allowing the movie to display a little bit of subtitles, and then jumping to where I need to go. After that, everything was dandy. It's a fix, but not a solution, so now I'm just curious as to why it happened in the first place.

geah
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Subtitles disappear when I fastforward/jump

Postby geah » 27 Dec 2017 00:25

Apparently this is still an issue after all this time. I'm encountering it on version 2.2.8 on OS X 10.12.6.

DaGoofyFawker
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 3.0.3.
Operating System: Windows 7

Postby DaGoofyFawker » 22 Jun 2018 16:54

It's still doing it in Ver. 3.0.3. as well. I haven't been able to pin down when exactly it happens, whether its going forward or backwards in the track, or what not. I have to stop and restart the video and then jump to where I was and the subtitles will be back working just fine. This has happened in EVERY version I have used, which I think is back to a bit before Ver. 2.0. Any input/suggestions/fixes would be greatly appreciated. Running Windows 7 64 Bit, with VLC Player Ver. 3.0.3. If any more info is needed, let me know. Thanks!!

EncryptedEggs
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby EncryptedEggs » 09 Sep 2018 06:19

Using Ver. 3.0.4 here. When I skip ahead to a location I find that the subtitles begin to appear eventually, but are noticeably delayed, as in they show after they should. This is a problem for me because it means that if I go backwards 30 seconds to listen to something again my subtitles will now display a few seconds after the character speaks. Any ideas appreciated.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”