sounds but no visual

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
kev

sounds but no visual

Postby kev » 03 Aug 2005 23:36

when ever i use vlc to play a video i can always hear whats going on but i cant see anything. does anyone have a clue whats going on?

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: sounds but no visual

Postby fkuehne » 04 Aug 2005 02:00

Provide your version of VLC, update your DirectX drivers, reset your preferences and report back please.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Postby Guest » 04 Aug 2005 07:52

I have Vlc player 0.8.2 on windows xp and I can hear the movies (.avi or mpeg files) but no picture is showing up. Some of these files if i try on like media player makes the player crash. I downloaded directx9.0c and reset preferences and it still wont work. It used to work but then just stopped playing video...is it anything to do with windows xp SP2?

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 04 Aug 2005 14:28

It should run fine with that service pack installed. Please go to your preferences -> video -> output modules and select another output module such as GDI. Restart VLC and try again. Note that you need to enable the advanced-flag to see this option.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

Postby Guest » 04 Aug 2005 17:46

hey I changed the video out module to GDI and I finally saw the video however these is bluish tint...I tried all the other modules as well and the only one that worked was the Open GL but that showed up upside down...any solutions? Thanks again.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 04 Aug 2005 20:20

Hmm, then something with the reset of the preferences went wrong. Please have a look at the FAQ to see the specific location of the files and delete them by hand and try again (sorry, I don't know the location by heart).

Does that obscure blue effect also exist on other movies?
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

Postby Guest » 04 Aug 2005 20:31

yes the blue effect is with all movies...like anything tanish or orange is blue...so which files am I exactl looking for to delete?

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 04 Aug 2005 20:53

Windows 95/98/ME: C:\Windows\Application Data\vlc\vlcrc

Windows XP/2000: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\vlc\vlcrc

as you can read here: http://www.videolan.org/doc (inside the FAQ)
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

Postby Guest » 05 Aug 2005 05:01

yea ive done it but its still the same

Postby Guest » 05 Aug 2005 05:08

I couldnt find which file to delete but i messed around with the hue and stuff under more GDI settings and got it a lil better...but its still not natural...its still staying dominantly one color tint..like blue or red or green

zcot
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby zcot » 05 Aug 2005 11:53

try changing a few settings..

I would put it on DirectX output module and change those settings from the default.

under [Preferences] -> [Video] you have the "overlay video output" checkbox and that will correlate a bit with a couple of the DirectX module personal settings as well, just hover on those settings to see. Try the other settings that do not relate to overlay first, and changing this overlay option as a last result(because of performance issues).

under [Preferences] -> [Video] -> [Output modules] -> [DirectX]:
I use "use hardware YUV -> RGB conversion"
and "use video buffers in system memory" since I have a bit of an older computer where the vid card is highly limited for onboard memory.

..Although it does work without putting the buffers in system memory I find it's often smoother with some videos by forcing that setting. And also, though it will also work without using the hardware conversion it's not nearly as good of performance and also at times the color is not quite right(although it's drastically botched like you seem to mention).

kev

Postby kev » 05 Aug 2005 21:17

this is for the guy the guest that posted thu aug 4, 2005 3:46 pm

if open gl shows the video upside down then try going to video->filters and check the box that says "video transformation filter"

then go UNDER filters and click on transformation and set the transformation to rotate by 180 degrees

i assume that it will show right side up

Joe Schmoe

Postby Joe Schmoe » 07 Aug 2005 03:34

It should run fine with that service pack installed. Please go to your preferences -> video -> output modules and select another output module such as GDI. Restart VLC and try again. Note that you need to enable the advanced-flag to see this option.
I go to Preferences -> Video, and I click the textbox next to Advanced Options. I don't see anything that says Output Modules. Any help?

kev

Postby kev » 07 Aug 2005 03:37

you dont click on video, u click on the little plus sign to the left of it and then youll find output modules

LygarZero

Postby LygarZero » 08 Aug 2005 04:27

I had this problem when I tried watching videos on 1152X864 resolution. Then I switched it back to 1024X768 and it fixed the problems. Maybe that's what happened to you.

Postby Guest » 08 Aug 2005 05:44

I had this problem when I tried watching videos on 1152X864 resolution. Then I switched it back to 1024X768 and it fixed the problems. Maybe that's what happened to you.
holy crap man that was the problem! thanks a lot buddy...any idea why that happens? is it cuz my video card sucks? lol

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 08 Aug 2005 14:22

Upgrading your videocard to one with more video card memory should also do the trick.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

GreatOne

sounds but no visual

Postby GreatOne » 08 Aug 2005 19:52

Good advice - did what he suggested and visuals are just fine.

Postby Guest » 10 Aug 2005 23:52

i had this problem too, but then i made the color quality on my monitor to medium (16bit) from high(24 bit), and i t was fine

Postby Guest » 13 Aug 2005 05:27

What fixed it for me:

My setup:
WinXP SP1 with all patches EXCEPT SP2.
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro (multiple driver versions tried)
1152x864 resolution

Same problem. Black screen, no audio. What fixed it? Two things...

1. I'm running Object Dock. Doesn't matter what version of OD or VLC I run, this always happens. If I exit OD and stop and restart the movie, it plays with visual.

2. Tired of method #1, I changed output mode to GDI. This is a solution as well. Visuals are back, and OD is still running.

Postby Guest » 13 Aug 2005 05:29

What fixed it for me:

My setup:
WinXP SP1 with all patches EXCEPT SP2.
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro (multiple driver versions tried)
1152x864 resolution

Same problem. Black screen, no audio. What fixed it? Two things...

1. I'm running Object Dock. Doesn't matter what version of OD or VLC I run, this always happens. If I exit OD and stop and restart the movie, it plays with visual.

2. Tired of method #1, I changed output mode to GDI. This is a solution as well. Visuals are back, and OD is still running.
Oh crap, same guy here. I want to say that I WAS getting audio though. Sorry about that. Just a typo.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”