After using 2.05 on snow leopard: bugs and suggestions

macOS specific usage questions
negativeions
New Cone
New Cone

After using 2.05 on snow leopard: bugs and suggestions

Postby negativeions » 17 Dec 2012 07:21

-When I hold down the hotkey button for fullscreen for a few seconds, vlc goes nuts and rapidly goes from window to FS. A short time later it'll freeze and I have to force quit.
-When I put the mouse over the title bar, the close button stay highlighted afterward regardless.
-I don't really get how this whole "show video within main window/window decoration" settings are really supposed to work but if I have "show video within main window" checked and "window decoration" UNCHECKED, the video will play in a seperate window and have no decoration. I just want 1 single video window with no "decorations" just the floating controls over the video like quicktime player, I guess.

Thanks, vlc is finally getting closer to being my default player on OSX.

A couple of things that would be good to change:
-When using the two finger up/down gesture to change volume, make each increment change customizable. In MplayerX and I think Mplayer OSX Extended, you can change the volume by 1% increments if you go really slow or change it really fast depending on how fast you gesture.
-Make VLC continue playing a video from the last position it was at when it exited. (this is a big one that is preventing me from making VLC my default)
-checkbox to quit VLC when last window is closed.

Thanks.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: After using 2.05 on snow leopard: bugs and suggestions

Postby fkuehne » 18 Dec 2012 14:05

Hello,

thanks for your detailed feedback!

- fullscreen button: known issue, hard to solve. However, this should be better in 2.1.
- mouse vs. titlebar: bright/gray or black ui?
- no-window-deco: well, yes, a decoration-less window is only supported in addition to the main window, not to replace it. It's behavior will improve in 2.1, but due to lack of available spare time (real life called repeatedly..), it isn't quite there yet, since I have the same goal to match QTP, too.

- volume-swipe: I think we have an option for this hidden deep in the advanced settings. I'll follow-up on this later today.
- continue-playback-where-left-off: this is the number one requested feature for VLC. not too hard to do, just time consuming. Scheduled for 2.1-next I think.
- quit-after-window-close: seriously, you want that? euh, well, this is really windows-like. let me think about it..
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 18 Dec 2012 17:32

Okay, my memory tricked me. There is no option for the volume-swipe. Could you do a ticket on this on https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/timeline so I don't forget? If you don't want to register, feel free to login with your Yahoo or Google account by clicking on "OpenID" in the top-right corner of the page.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

negativeions
New Cone
New Cone

Postby negativeions » 22 Dec 2012 04:35

- mouse vs. titlebar: bright/gray or black ui?
In both UIs.
- no-window-deco: well, yes, a decoration-less window is only supported in addition to the main window, not to replace it. It's behavior will improve in 2.1, but due to lack of available spare time (real life called repeatedly..), it isn't quite there yet, since I have the same goal to match QTP, too.
You're the best, man.
There is no option for the volume-swipe. Could you do a ticket on this on https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/timeline so I don't forget?
Definitely.
- continue-playback-where-left-off: this is the number one requested feature for VLC. not too hard to do, just time consuming. Scheduled for 2.1-next I think.
Rock on.
- quit-after-window-close: seriously, you want that? euh, well, this is really windows-like. let me think about it..
Ya, I know :) but some people like it. I like it. Just saves me from command-Q-ing. Keep in mind it's when the LAST window is closed. Nothing mandatory just a checkbox would be nice.

Thanks.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”