[2.0.3] VLC creates folder on desktop upon startup

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Serpentarius
New Cone
New Cone

[2.0.3] VLC creates folder on desktop upon startup

Postby Serpentarius » 28 Jul 2012 07:43

So, I just installed VLC 2.0.3 on a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit). It runs perfectly fine, but has a very strange habit of creating a My Documents folder on my desktop whenever it starts up. If I delete the folder, it just creates it again the next time it starts up. Restarting or deleting the VLC folder in my AppData/Roaming doesn't help. I saw on Google that someone had a similar problem, but it never seemed to get resolved. Any help for this bizarre bug would be very appreciated. If it is at all relevant, the My Documents on my desktop points to the same My Documents in my user folder.

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.0-git

Re: [2.0.3] VLC creates folder on desktop upon startup

Postby edwardw » 04 Aug 2012 16:14

It sounds like you are using a non-standard user profile directory path.

DjDiabolik
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby DjDiabolik » 04 Aug 2012 18:57

No no... look at the link on desktop it's correctly created.... look if "working folder" it's correctly set in link on desktop.

icey2
New Cone
New Cone

Postby icey2 » 01 Dec 2012 14:38

Hi!

I have a similar problem, I deleted almost all my Default, and somehow useless to me, folders such as: Pictures/Video/My Documents. The problem is that every time I open an audio/video file with VLC, the My Documents folder is created. I tried both 32/64 versions and portable versions (zip) and the same result. I like VLC player but this is kind of annoying, being able to get rid of the folders through Windows just to appear again when I use VLC :). Also I noticed that the folder is not used, it's just empty, making me even sadder :).

Thank you,
Icey2

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”