Where does VLC store or cache temp stream files?

macOS specific usage questions
valiant66
New Cone
New Cone

Where does VLC store or cache temp stream files?

Postby valiant66 » 16 Jul 2012 08:24

Hi. I was streaming a video file, and near the end I decided I wanted to keep the video. Where does VLC store its temp cache files while streaming? I figured I could just grab the cache, move it and rename it, but I can't find it.

And will that work? It used to work with DiVX but I don't know if VLC works the same way.

Chema
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 2.0.2
Operating System: Mac Os

Re: Where does VLC store or cache temp stream files?

Postby Chema » 17 Jul 2012 07:37

Hi,
1 .-today’s streaming systems don´t use a cache for all the emission
2.- In preferences select a directory to save the program.
3.- Use record to maintain it, you can stop when you decide, or delete/maintain the file at end.
This is more simple and efficient than look for caches ... the space used will be the the same, but under your control.

Regards

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 17 Jul 2012 14:52

Indeed, VLC just caches 300 to 1000 ms in RAM for playback or transcoding. The device's local storage is never touched, since this would be way too slow.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Chema
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 2.0.2
Operating System: Mac Os

Postby Chema » 18 Jul 2012 02:28

Thanks for the clarification, I hope I have aa confused anyone! fast and my English writing is a bit .... improved .... lol;-)
In any case, apologies for giving a completely wrong explanation on what is important in such high-level forum!! Well think that convey!! A sincere hug! ...

Greetings and beers!

valiant66
New Cone
New Cone

Postby valiant66 » 18 Jul 2012 04:31

So just to clarify, there's no way to grab the video after I've watched most of it?

I have to change my settings and watch the video again with recording turned on?

This raises a different question, then. It looks like when I set my preferences I have to transcode on the fly. Is there any way just to capture the stream directly without transcoding it? I don't always know what format the original is in and it seems like I would lose quality if I'm transcoding from e.g. .avi to .mp4?

Thanks.

houfro
New Cone
New Cone

Postby houfro » 04 Jan 2014 19:12

VLC Stream stores converted files for streaming on other devices here: C:/Users/[username]/AppData/Roaming/Hobbyist Software/VLC Streamer/Root

Not sure if that is what you're referring to, but I needed to find this as it was taking up space on my disc.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”