solving the Audio distortion problem in VLC 0.8.2 on Windows

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

solving the Audio distortion problem in VLC 0.8.2 on Windows

Postby dionoea » 26 Jun 2005 19:32

Go to

preferences

----> Advanced [x]
-----> Audio
------>Audio Output Module (Choose Win32 waveOut extension output)
Save

Restart.
Last edited by dionoea on 29 Nov 2005 16:06, edited 1 time in total.
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

shiz

os x?

Postby shiz » 01 Jul 2005 13:43

how is this problem solved in os x?

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 01 Jul 2005 14:40

since it isn't the same problem .... (you should try reseting your prefs since audio output was changed on OS X between 0.8.1 and 0.8.2)
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea

Postby Guest » 02 Jul 2005 02:16

what if you cant hear anything at all when you make this change? because with it on default i hear the sound all static and shitty like but on the module options i dont hear anything....

TennCasey
New Cone
New Cone

Postby TennCasey » 04 Jul 2005 07:31

Now we just need to know how to make it stop making that god-awful noise in Firefox.

x2zero

Postby x2zero » 04 Jul 2005 10:45

this did not sort it out for me, and I actually uninstalled the program before thinking that maybe there was a solution on a forum...

the distortion is completely awful and remains unchanged, I've ticked and unticked that float 32 option in the audio prefs..

and I have the very latest version.

anything else you suggest I might try?

Postby Guest » 07 Jul 2005 23:37

the audio distortion problem doesn't seem to carry over to media thats played in the firefox broswer. Is there anyway to revert back to windows media palyer when it comes to streaming media on a broswer? or is there any way to have the settings I applied carry over to streaming media on firefox?

Postby Guest » 07 Jul 2005 23:38

opps I mean fixing the audio distortion problem doesn't seem to carry over to firefox. When your streaming media using vlc on the firefox browser.

TennCasey
New Cone
New Cone

Postby TennCasey » 08 Jul 2005 07:58

Well, I'm having the problem in Firefox.

Postby Guest » 10 Jul 2005 15:19

Same problem. Distorted sound, Ive tried reseting prefs and choosing win32 waveout then i have no sound at all.

VLC 0.8.2 / WinXP all updates wxWindows Interface

Postby Guest » 11 Jul 2005 04:05

same here, problem is not fixed when doing above

Guesty

I concur

Postby Guesty » 13 Jul 2005 00:13

Upon selecting the Win32-option, I get no sound at all. Does this have anything to do with me/us running 64-bit CPU's? :P

Postby Guest » 13 Jul 2005 00:24

Dionoea,

any advances on this topic?

I believe a number of us are waiting for a patch or some other solution (I have tried everything to get rid of that horrible noise....I can't do it...)

merci in advance! =)

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 13 Jul 2005 10:26

i don't have a clue about what the problem might be (i just quoted another user's solution which seemed to fix the problem for a lot of people)

sorry
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea

md5

Postby md5 » 14 Jul 2005 19:33

Thanks, that fixed the audio distortion on my system and VideoLAN works fine now :)

emceerocks

a big THANK YOU....

Postby emceerocks » 16 Jul 2005 05:46

this fixed my problem that I was having! Thank you also for givin me a practical simple solution to this problem because I am not so techie minded and don't get how to read a too well. And another big THANK YOU again!

be well to you and yours :D :D :D :D

AlanS

Postby AlanS » 16 Jul 2005 17:14

I tried all the possible settings for output. None helped, still screeching for any audio, wav, mp3 or wmv. Then I tried "Win32 waveOut" and it crashed Windows.

For the record, Win 98, sound is onboard, C-Media AC97, that works with everythng else.

So I gave up and uninstalled.

AnotherGuest

Sorted

Postby AnotherGuest » 17 Jul 2005 08:14

This fix sorted us out, too.

This problem occurred on both our Athlon64 machines, but none of the others (all running XP).

Dandruff
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Dandruff » 17 Jul 2005 12:51

should depend on the used soundcard(driver), not the cpu!

Postby Guest » 20 Jul 2005 00:10

worked like a charm!!

Deathdoor666

Postby Deathdoor666 » 20 Jul 2005 08:16

Worked GREAT for me, no more distortion, clear sound now.

Thanks a lot!!

Postby Guest » 21 Jul 2005 18:51

well, I still have "the" problem

it still "screeches" no matter what I try to change/adjust

I even deleted ALL codec packs in the off-chance there was any interference with other audio filters/codecs in any way, shape or form on my computer...and to no avail...I recently installed ACE Mega Codec Pack (which works great with anything else I use) but did not do anything with VLC (to help, that is) and btw I know that VLC doesn't need ACE, just trying to clutch at any straws that would cause/fix the problem

btw I was able to use the previous version (I believe 0.7.1) with no problems...I even uninstalled the new version and re-installed the old one, but it even has the screeching now (which it didn't before)!!!

I guess I can't use VLC for now, unless someone can figure out what the hell my problem is...

tia for anyone that can fix this prob and/or guide me to the solution!

zaubara

Postby zaubara » 24 Jul 2005 01:31

Worked great for me, thanks a lot!

concerned807

Postby concerned807 » 24 Jul 2005 12:52

since it isn't the same problem .... (you should try reseting your prefs since audio output was changed on OS X between 0.8.1 and 0.8.2)
Just upgraded from 0.81 to 0.82 on Windows XP Pro SP 2 here.
Does the above mean the audio distortion problem did not happen to version 0.81, with Audio outpost module set to Default?

With version 0.81, I vaguely remember when XP system was busy, VLC's video would stop intermittently but the audio did not stop.

Medros

Umm

Postby Medros » 25 Jul 2005 07:53

Ok, I am using 0.8.2 and I don't have audio in Preferences/Advanced only CPU Features and Other. I hit Reset All, and the screeching still happens. This has been going on for a long time. Sad, cause VLC used to be my #1 video application.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”