Time problem in VLC 2.0.1 for TS files & Quality can..

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
davidmf
New Cone
New Cone

Time problem in VLC 2.0.1 for TS files & Quality can..

Postby davidmf » 06 May 2012 22:29

Hi

My problem in VLC 2.0.1 is about ts type file (Recorded by DVB Viewer). The time isnot Correct. for example 2:54:00 in VLC 2.0.1 is equivalent to 2:44:00 in Windows Media Player 12 & Power Director 9. Of course, WMP & Powerdirector is same & true. So I have problem for cutting some parts of file in editor applications like Power Director. If files will be bigger, difference is more obvious.

Short Ts File is here:
https://rapidshare.com/files/3928442437/Sample.ts
Maybe in this short file, problem is not quite obvious (you can check 00:00:37 in VLC & WMP)

In VLC 1.X there is no time for this type of files (VLC 1.X Always shows 00:00:00).

Playback doesn't have problem, Although quality can be better for TS. you can pause and check subtitle. there are jags (aliasing) in the letters. Some player doesn't have this problem. Also These jags are more in scenes that have fast moves (like difference between 1080I & 1080P).

Thank you for help

Edit: Time in VLC 2.0.1 & Power Director are same but different in TS Splitter.
Last edited by davidmf on 07 May 2012 08:45, edited 1 time in total.

nkoriyama
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: git
Operating System: Windows / Mac OS X

Re: Time isn't correct in VLC 2.0.1 for TS files & Quality c

Postby nkoriyama » 07 May 2012 00:58

VLC calculates the time using PCR fields in the MPEG-TS. If PCR fields are not correctly ordered, the time may be wrong.
When cutting some parts of the MPEG-TS video, if PCR fields are not adjusted, the time becomes wrong.
If MPEG-TS video is not edited and same as transmitted, the time should be correct.

And the duration of sample.ts is not 00:37. VLC and MediaInfo-CLI also show the duration as 00:39.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
My hack for ISDB-T http://sdrv.ms/126weue

davidmf
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Time isn't correct in VLC 2.0.1 for TS files & Quality c

Postby davidmf » 07 May 2012 02:52

VLC calculates the time using PCR fields in the MPEG-TS. If PCR fields are not correctly ordered, the time may be wrong.
When cutting some parts of the MPEG-TS video, if PCR fields are not adjusted, the time becomes wrong.
If MPEG-TS video is not edited and same as transmitted, the time should be correct.

And the duration of sample.ts is not 00:37. VLC and MediaInfo-CLI also show the duration as 00:39.
Thank you for your help.

You're right. Duration of Sample is 00:39. I mean that you can check time exactly in 00:00:37 in VLC & WMP and pause it. you'll see 2 different pictures not same. This problem in huge videos are more obvious.

I see a film in VLC & note some parts (for example 01:01:37 to 01:02:37). but for cutting that, when i check 01:01:37 in TS Splitter 1.2 & WMP, it will not be what i want. (for example I should have noted 01:00:00). Of Course I Checked 01:01:37 in Power Director 9 & is correct & like VLC. but it fully uses CPU & isnot suitable for editing with low-end CPU. TS Splitter is better.

So what should i do? . should i change settings in shark007 codecs or other programs? Can i Export some part of files by VLC?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Time problem in VLC 2.0.1 for TS files & Quality can..

Postby VLC_help » 07 May 2012 20:06

Remux after cutting, that way you will get correct timecodes.

davidmf
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Time problem in VLC 2.0.1 for TS files & Quality can..

Postby davidmf » 08 May 2012 11:55

Thank you. I adjusted some settings in win7 Codecs. So, it's better to editing. Time's Difference in VLC & TS Splitter isnot so much, it is about few minutes. First, I select some parts of film in VLC. Then I Should do some modification in TS Splitter in minutes & seconds. Then split it. So huge TS film converts to little TS films. Now it's easy to use Powerdirector for exact editing & Join them.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”