VLC tries to build font cache every time it runs

macOS specific usage questions
htroberts
New Cone
New Cone

VLC tries to build font cache every time it runs

Postby htroberts » 13 Apr 2012 05:19

I have VLC 2.01 on OS X 10.7.3. Every time I run VLC, I get a dialog saying it's building a font cache for a minute or two before the video will play.

~/Library/Cache/fontconfig exists but is empty, even after VLC starts playing, and I have permission to write files there.

od:~$ ls -ld ~/Library/Caches/fontconfig/
drwxr-xr-x 2 heath staff 68 Apr 12 23:12 /Network/Servers/[path obscured]/Library/Caches/fontconfig/
od:~$ ls -a ~/Library/Caches/fontconfig
. ..

How can I stop this?

whiterainbow
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC tries to build font cache every time it runs

Postby whiterainbow » 13 Apr 2012 10:57

I get this as well whenever I open VLC cleanly (on OS X 10.5), however when VLC crashes and reopens, it doesn't happen.

aitte
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby aitte » 13 Apr 2012 19:34

VLC indeed stores its fontcache in the Caches folder, so if you have an application emptying that folder, you will lose the font cache. Likewise, if you lack permissions there could be errors. Try repairing disk permissions (go into Disk Utility, select the Macintosh HD partition, and Repair Permissions). Other than that I have no idea. No problems here on 10.7.3 lion with VLC 2.0.1.

Edit: I was reading through threads for an unrelated topic, and came across this possible answer:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=98293

htroberts
New Cone
New Cone

Postby htroberts » 14 Apr 2012 23:38

Thanks. I can't _prove_ that nothing is emptying the directory, but I don't think there's anything that is. To me the problem appears to be that VLC isn't actually building a cache of fonts.

I do have permissions for this directory--I included the output of 'ls' in the original post to show that.

nkoriyama
VLC version: git
Operating System: Windows / Mac OS X

Postby nkoriyama » 15 Apr 2012 00:15

Can you create a file to the directory?

Code: Select all

$ touch ~/Libarary/Caches/fontconfig/test.txt $ ls -l ~/Library/Caches/fontconfig/test.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 johndoe staff 0 4 15 07:46 /Users/johndoe/Library/Caches/fontconfig/test.txt
What is your $HOME?

$ echo $HOME /Users/johndoe
VLC's process user is same as the owner of the directory?

$ ls -ld ~/Library/Caches/fontconfig/ drwxr-xr-x 5 johndoe staff 170 3 22 04:27 /Users/johndoe/Library/Caches/fontconfig/ $ ps aux | grep -i vlc | grep -v grep johndoe 557 0.0 1.7 2789924 72604 ?? S 6:26AM 0:43.56 /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC -psn_0_6862475
If you launch VLC from terminal with setting HOME environmental variable, how does it work?
(Please replace "[path obscured]" properly!)

$ HOME="/Network/Servers/[path obscured]" /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
My hack for ISDB-T http://sdrv.ms/126weue

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”