Right Hotkey not working (VLC 1.1.0)

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
hobi
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Right Hotkey not working (VLC 1.1.0)

Postby hobi » 21 Jan 2011 12:11

Are you sure you removed navigate left from left arrow and then set it to new action?
So, is that bug possible to fix?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 22 Jan 2011 17:42

What bug you mean? That the arrows are defaulted to menu navigation? Or that when you override existing hotkey, it doesn't remove the old one?

hobi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hobi » 20 Feb 2011 13:57

What bug you mean? That the arrows are defaulted to menu navigation? Or that when you override existing hotkey, it doesn't remove the old one?
That when you override existing hotkey, it doesnt remove the old one. That problem was only on right arrow key "very short forward jump", but now it seems to be fixed 1.1.7.

uvelece
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby uvelece » 26 Feb 2011 02:13

In my experience, nothing has changed as far as 1.1.7 version. "Very short backward jump", which I assign to left key, works OK; however "very short forward jump", which I set to right key, keeps on doing nothing when pressed.

soraxd
New Cone
New Cone

Postby soraxd » 26 Feb 2011 22:33

yes i am also having this problem, im experiencing this problem on the latest version of VLC in both Windows OS and on my Linux OS. i have removed the "navigate right, and navigate left, and set the left and right arrow key to 'short jump left' and 'short jump right', no matter what order i reset these preferences in, nothing works. after reading thru everyones posts here, i realized that "very short jump" in either direction work fine with left and right arrows, so im using them for the time being, but i would love to be able to use left and right arrows for short jumps. i love vlc, and have been using it for many years, i will continue to use it even without arrows, but would be much happier to see them working, thanks!

hobi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hobi » 02 Mar 2011 00:38

In my experience, nothing has changed as far as 1.1.7 version. "Very short backward jump", which I assign to left key, works OK; however "very short forward jump", which I set to right key, keeps on doing nothing when pressed.
I was wrong, it wont work

hatchetman208
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Right Hotkey not working (VLC 1.1.0+)

Postby hatchetman208 » 24 Mar 2011 06:27

Found this thread when I googled my issue. I just upgraded to Win7 64bit and I installed VLC. I unset all default arrow keys then I set left/right arrow keys for backwords and forwords and then set Up/Down for volume up and down. When I went to test them the Up, down, right arrow keys did nothing but shift+right arrow key and any variation thereof works but they don't work alone, however left arrow key works. All keys work outside of VLC.

manbearsloth
New Cone
New Cone

Postby manbearsloth » 04 May 2011 21:53

I was able to get the Right key working. After fiddling around for a while in the vlcrc file I got it working. This is the text copied straight out of my file. The carriage returns were included when I pasted, not sure if they matter. I'm pretty sure I deleted an extra # or inserted one, can't remember now. I also assigned Right as the global key, which appears in this code(be sure to hit the apply button at the bottom after pressing right). You can jump to this section in your code if you ctrl+f and search for "jump+short=right" assuming you already assigned it to right. I put the assignment before and after to make sure you have no extra #'s before or after the important key assignment.
#global-key-jump-short=Unset# Short forward jump (key)key-jump+short=Right# Short forward jump (key)global-key-jump+short=Right# Medium backwards jump (key)

Hope this helps.
P.s. It didn't start working until after I restarted my computer. Closing and reopening it didn't work.

uvelece
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby uvelece » 16 May 2011 02:34

I was able to get the Right key working. After fiddling around for a while in the vlcrc file I got it working. This is the text copied straight out of my file. The carriage returns were included when I pasted, not sure if they matter. I'm pretty sure I deleted an extra # or inserted one, can't remember now. I also assigned Right as the global key, which appears in this code(be sure to hit the apply button at the bottom after pressing right). You can jump to this section in your code if you ctrl+f and search for "jump+short=right" assuming you already assigned it to right. I put the assignment before and after to make sure you have no extra #'s before or after the important key assignment.
#global-key-jump-short=Unset# Short forward jump (key)key-jump+short=Right# Short forward jump (key)global-key-jump+short=Right# Medium backwards jump (key)

Hope this helps.
P.s. It didn't start working until after I restarted my computer. Closing and reopening it didn't work.
Thank you for sharing your info, but what you have done is to set right key as a global key. In that case it works fine. It may be used as a workaround while this issue is fixed but, after 10 versions, it would be great if this bug could be solved.

Maximus78
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Maximus78 » 22 Oct 2013 22:07

I had a similar problem with all arrow keys on a Windows 8 (x64 french version).

When settings keys in the options window, VLC was saving arrow shortcuts with the following values : Gauche, Droite, Haut, Bas. I had to manually change the file C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\vlc\vlcrc and replace all occurrences of Gauche, Droite, Haut, Bas with english values Left, Right, Up, Down.

Beware, VLC expects the following exact values "Left", "Right", "Up", "Down" (case sensitive).

Then I restarted VLC and it worked :)

Hope this helps.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 05 Nov 2013 23:06

YEs, this is fixed in 2.1.1
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Maximus78
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Maximus78 » 06 Nov 2013 17:59

YEs, this is fixed in 2.1.1
Cool, I'll try as soon as 2.1.1 is available for download :)

Maximus78
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Maximus78 » 15 Nov 2013 19:56

It works fine now (in 2.1.1). Thanks for the quick fix :)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 11 Dec 2013 01:42

You're welcome.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”