Issues with current Release on Windows

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Issues with current Release on Windows

Postby VLC_help » 14 Oct 2008 14:09

* extremely slow startup (get the feeling it's because of .NET issues) [all 0.9 versions]
VLC doesn't use .NET

minhtri_595: how high goes VLC.exe CPU usage when you play that clip?

navysealltblue : QT and default interface are the same in 0.9.x and in 1.0.0 and all GUI interfaces use QT preferences module

And those having DVD issues, does it help if you start DVD without menus option (aka dvdsimple)?

Der Jurist
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Der Jurist » 14 Oct 2008 19:42

minhtri_595: that is HD clip?
Der Jurist: Problem is in your device drivers or in your hardware. ... .
Thanks, now it works. I have installed new drivers and stopped Kaspersky. Than I installed VLC, startet KAV and told to KAV "no dangerous program" .....

VLC_help, you have done a quite good job. I´am a DAU (in German = dümmster anzunehmende User = SGU stupidest guessed user)

blinding
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: XP Pro SP3

Postby blinding » 15 Oct 2008 05:06

deleted
Last edited by blinding on 15 Oct 2008 05:10, edited 1 time in total.

blinding
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: XP Pro SP3

Postby blinding » 15 Oct 2008 05:09

Harl, does it work any better if you start DVD playback from commandline?

blinding, could you provide screenshot?
Here is the image (my windows desktop is black).

http://img361.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vlchidegk9.jpg

This seems to happen after I play in full screen with the "always on top" and "Hide in task bar" options.

periboob
New Cone
New Cone

Postby periboob » 16 Oct 2008 03:25

I really have no question, but I thought my tale might interest the team. It was likely a stupid mistake of my own, but it is worth relating. I am pretty much a beginner with audio tools, but I can usually get by with Windows. Even Windows Vista which irritates me intensely, I can usually make it go where I want, sometimes after a struggle.

About 6 months ago I started using VLC 0.8.6i due to frustration with WMP, and have had nothing but good since then,... but then I updated 0.9.4 a couple of days ago. There was several new features, that sounded nice to have.

On initial startup-after-install, things worked well, just viewing a .flv, playing an mp3, nothing fancy, was happy to find that I could drag the time slider during .flv playing, because 086i had regularly crashed with manual time adjustment. But then I noticed that I couldn't drag media files to the open VLC frame to play them, then initially, (I think) I could double-click media to play it, but that seemed to go away, and the only way to play media was to use the VLC file-menu controls.

There were enough issues that I decided to roll back to 0.8.6i. But I was unable to. Uninstall of 9.4 was incomplete, left the executable and numerous DLLs--not manually removable. (cannot remember if I used the Windows uninstall, or the included VLC uninstall first, but I tried them both over time) tried to reinstall 0.8.6i, unsuccessfully possibly because of the leftovers from 0.9.4. Reinstalled 0.9.4, thinking if it had gotten corrupted, this would make it more receptive to being uninstalled, no help. Finally, Windows system restore got me back to 0.8.6i. (whew!)

If the expert judgment is that this was a fluke, I am content to wait for version 1, but if there is serious team interest, I am willing to try it again, see if I can duplicate my problems, and document it a little more thoroughly.

InsureMan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby InsureMan » 16 Oct 2008 06:02

There are issues with the VLC Media Player when using 5.1 sound. Ran a test DVD audio disk and this is what I found, what is happen is the Right Front, Centre & Right Rear speakers are all playing out of the Right Front Speaker and Left Front & Left Rear all are playing out of the Left Front.

minhtri_595
New Cone
New Cone

Postby minhtri_595 » 16 Oct 2008 07:18

minhtri_595: how high goes VLC.exe CPU usage when you play that clip?
between 20-25 %, movie is lag
sometimes, it falls down to below 10% or 5% and movie is broken

publicENEMY
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby publicENEMY » 16 Oct 2008 08:33

small bug.

when i export configuration from VLM Configurator, the file extension is .vlm) instead of .vlm. notice the ")".

thank you for great release. still waiting for wpf compliant wrapper.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 16 Oct 2008 12:08

There are issues with the VLC Media Player when using 5.1 sound. Ran a test DVD audio disk and this is what I found, what is happen is the Right Front, Centre & Right Rear speakers are all playing out of the Right Front Speaker and Left Front & Left Rear all are playing out of the Left Front.
.9.4 or .9.2 ?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 16 Oct 2008 17:02

minhtri_595: you have Quad core CPU?

blinding: it seems VLC doesn't force PAINT after fullscreen, and thanks, I can duplicate it.
http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/2220

periboob: make sure you have killed all running vlc.exe instances before doing any install/uninstall operations.

publicENEMY: yes, you are correct. (this was fixed few hours ago)

ll350
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ll350 » 16 Oct 2008 21:58

Hi,
Was hesitant about reporting this as a bug in trac, so maybe I could get some input as to if it's a VLC bug or not. I was running 0.9.2 on Windows Vista SP1, with the factory loadout from HP on an HP tx2517cl Entertainment Notebook PC [the Consumer Tablet they make]

Anyway, the previous release worked fine, but got the notice to upgrade, and downloaded it. Instead of downloading the new version to my ProgramData directory as it appeared the downloader wanted to do, I put it on my desktop.

So I run the installer, It asks for my admin password, then It starts, says that I have an older version that I should uninstal first, so I click ok to the automated uninstaller, but leave preferences and cache unchecked.

It does it's thing, and the installer re-launches, and goes thru all the steps except for writing the files, when it gets there it gives me an error message, saying that it can't write to the specified directory, it think the directory it stated was "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC" I go look in the specified directory and it appears that all the old vlc stuff is still there, including the vlc.exe application. So I rename the directory "VideoLan" to "VideoLan_old" and then try to instal, and it works fine.

So my question is, was the error in installing the result of something I did or a bug?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 16 Oct 2008 22:25

Probably you had still one vlc.exe running during install.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

silekonn
New Cone
New Cone

Postby silekonn » 17 Oct 2008 05:29

it seems my full screen controls have been moved off-screen. i have found the option to turn them off and on and it doesnt help. is there a registry setting for their location? a button for reset?

minhtri_595
New Cone
New Cone

Postby minhtri_595 » 17 Oct 2008 07:26

minhtri_595: you have Quad core CPU?
:lol: :lol: i hope i can buy one
I just have dual core (althon X2)

Mr Love
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Mr Love » 17 Oct 2008 12:46

I'm back to 0.8.6h as well, as the current version (0.9.4)

1) Won't display the menus for VIDEO_TS folders played from harddrive - well it usually won't play the video either (the same played from disc works fine)
2) Chooses the install directory by default when you want to open folder (directory), very annoying...

I'm on Win XP, SP2.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 17 Oct 2008 12:54

I'm back to 0.8.6h as well, as the current version (0.9.4)

1) Won't display the menus for VIDEO_TS folders played from harddrive - well it usually won't play the video either (the same played from disc works fine)
2) Chooses the install directory by default when you want to open folder (directory), very annoying...

I'm on Win XP, SP2.
1) Wrong, use open disc, not open directory
2) Will be fixed soon.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Siedrosat
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Siedrosat » 17 Oct 2008 13:23

Hi sorry for my bad english.

I have this problem whith vlc 0.9.4:
I downaload a avi video from the web and play it, now if i download a new avi this block the old file and jump on the new file.
With old vlc version 0.86i i download more file and they are enquee and play without jump on the new file.

Vlc Setting
Allow Only one instance
Enqueue file in playlist when in one instace mode

Aqualung

Postby Aqualung » 17 Oct 2008 19:44

Let me add my quibble to this list of grievances: in full screen mode on dual monitor displays, the control pad shows split between the two monitors. (For details see https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=50616)

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 17 Oct 2008 19:52

minhtri_595: could you share short sample file (I am assuming this is ffmpeg/libavcodec issue).

Aqualung: that should be fixed on next release (at least there were commits related to this).

Siedrosat: they are still added to same playlist?

Teazle
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Teazle » 17 Oct 2008 21:24

Hi there, made a few tries trying to find a match for my problem, but as I came up empty, i thought it'd try here:

Whenever I open a .ogm -file, that has a .ssa -subfile for it in the same dir, VLC will start and wait several seconds before starting to play. I'm assuming this has to do with processing of the .ssa file, but this behavious is new to me, as of 0.9.x (i did NOT test this with 0.9.2, because i was not aware of it until now, on 0.9.4).

If this has already been noticed by someone and i've missed it, I am sincerely sorry for repeating that claim in another thread...

edit:

with SSA-subs using External policies being broken, is this what is meant? if so. again, sorry. and ignore...

dorfd1
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby dorfd1 » 17 Oct 2008 22:56

there is still no full support for tv tuners that do not have an onboard audio output.

jasonpickles
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jasonpickles » 18 Oct 2008 00:47

I'm experiencing the same issues with files not enqueing in the playlist. All the files do show up in the playlist but as soon as I click on another file to add it to the playlist, VLC will immediately jump to said file. It is a feature that hasn't worked with the new 0.9 series, however worked with 0.86.

aviadr1
New Cone
New Cone

Postby aviadr1 » 18 Oct 2008 03:04

Congrats on release!

When I try to transcode video into H264 (using either streaming or convert wizard) the application just crashes...
:(

minhtri_595
New Cone
New Cone

Postby minhtri_595 » 18 Oct 2008 15:27

minhtri_595: could you share short sample file (I am assuming this is ffmpeg/libavcodec issue).
http://www.mediafire.com/?d1yqmuhk0t2
here is example 10 seconds
file size is 2MB
i hope you don't hate anime

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 18 Oct 2008 20:18

When I try to transcode video into H264 (using either streaming or convert wizard) the application just crashes...
:(
What transcoding options you use?

minhtri_595: thanks. Yes, VLC decodes it badly (works OK with latest CoreAVC+MPC). Loopfilter doesn't help. Lets hope ffmpeg/libavcodec decoding gets better on future.
http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/2223

dorfd1: that won't happen until atmo (or someone else) will fix the DirectShow support.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”