VLC crash when exiting fullscreen

macOS specific usage questions
hchueh
New Cone
New Cone

Crashes not limited to VLC

Postby hchueh » 12 Feb 2007 01:07

Just FYI, I am finding that Apple's own DVD Player also crashes very often when playing VIDEO_TS files in fullscreen mode. So this may be fundamentally an Apple issue, or the very least a MacBook Intel Core Duo driver issue.
Henry

freedumb2000
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Crashes not limited to VLC

Postby freedumb2000 » 12 Feb 2007 01:19

Actually, this happens with any kind of video file (not only DVDs) and only when going to or from fullscreen. I actually catch myself using mplayer because of that problem now if you can belive that!
Just FYI, I am finding that Apple's own DVD Player also crashes very often when playing VIDEO_TS files in fullscreen mode. So this may be fundamentally an Apple issue, or the very least a MacBook Intel Core Duo driver issue.

sherwoods
New Cone
New Cone

re: Eventually resolving VLC crash when exiting fullscreen

Postby sherwoods » 21 Feb 2007 19:46

Felix,

I have not been around here of late, and I have reverted to 8.5 which does not exhibit this problem. ( I'd rather have the security risk than the crashing ;-) )

Just to clarify on my earlier post. resetting the preferences did help for a while but not over time, I still have this issue with 8.6 and I am on an G4 powerbook running 10.4.8( not an Intel).

I am sure you will get to this as you are able to, and as I think most others are saying ...

Thank You so much for all you have done to provide this superior piece of software.

Be well,

S

[quote="Fkuehne"]Please note that posting the same crash log over and over again doesn't make fixing this problem easier or having it done faster. I pretty much know now that Apple's code is crashing, when it does so and how to reproduce it (as I did about a month ago). Since I'm pretty busy with real-life work, business travels, etc. right now, my timeframe to work on VLC is really tight and so it is for most other Mac OS X developers.
Please don't take this as an offence. We know that this problem exists. It is on our major bug list. It will be fixed in VLC's next release. I will post a note here, once a fixed nightly build exists.[/quote]

Excalibur007
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Excalibur007 » 22 Feb 2007 08:52

I've been using VLC a lot lately for viewing movies on my TV while doing work on my main monitor. It would crash more often than not, when doing anything at all with the onscreen controller. It would crash (does crash) often when double clicking a file in the playlist, skipping to the next file or fast forwarding via the buttons or the scrubber. It sometimes crashes while playing a file when I'm not messing with anything at all.

I've noticed that what helps me to avoid crashes is having another application window open so that when I move the mouse pointer away from the controller on the TV/2nd Monitor back to my main monitor, I click on that application's window. If I click on the desktop or a finder window after doing anything in VLC, it will crash almost every time. But, if I keep something like TextEdit open on the main monitor, I can move the pointer off the 2nd monitor over to click on the TextEdit window and so far... VLC hasn't crashed when doing this.
This works the same when you only use one monitor and have VLC in a window. Of course, it won't help your crashes going from full-screen to windowed mode.

It may seem like a bit of a hassle, but I just make sure that if I'm going to touch VLC in any way, I have another app open (and not minimized) that I can click on afterward. I hope this helps a few people until the next release. I'd be interested to know if this actually does help anyone.

freedumb2000
New Cone
New Cone

Postby freedumb2000 » 22 Feb 2007 23:37

Excalibur007,
the workaround for your problem is disabling the onscreen controller. This will probably be fixed with the next release.

Excalibur007
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Excalibur007 » 27 Feb 2007 02:40

Excalibur007,
the workaround for your problem is disabling the onscreen controller. This will probably be fixed with the next release.
Thanks, but the purpose of my post wasn't to list a problem, since the problem and solution until the next release has already been discussed. The point of my post was to share what has worked for me without disabling the onscreen controller.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”