skins2 interface error: No suitable dialogs

*nix specific usage questions
verbose

skins2 interface error: No suitable dialogs

Postby verbose » 06 Dec 2005 04:59

I want to say upfront that I have searched the forums before posting. There were 3-4 threads containing the exact same error message, but they didn't solve anything.

Here are the configure options:

Code: Select all

./configure \ --prefix=/usr --enable-wxwindows --enable-wxwidgets --disable-joystick --enable-debug --disable-kde [b]--with-wx-config-path=/usr/local/bin/wx-config[/b] --enable-mozilla --with-mozilla-sdk-path=~/.mozilla/gecko-sdk/ --disable-qt --enable-ncurses --enable-release
The line that is boldened is the result of a suggestion given in another thread and is the path to wxwidget's config file and is linked to '/usr/local/lib/wx/config/gtk2-ansi-release-2.6 wx-config'.

Here's the debug information:
[00000258] main dialogs provider error: no dialogs provider module matched "any"
[00000255] skins2 interface error: No suitable dialogs provider found (hint: compile the wxWidgets plugin, and make sure it is loaded properly)

Is it possible that I have to do something other than './configure && make' when installing WXwidgets or should that suffice? No '--enable-gui', or '--with-gtk2', etc?

Thanks

zorglub
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby zorglub » 06 Dec 2005 21:39

Could you paste the part of config.log about wx ?
Zorglub
Clément Stenac

verbose

Postby verbose » 07 Dec 2005 03:50

configure:38791: WARNING: --{en|dis}able-wxwindows is deprecated. Use --{en|dis}able-wxwidgets instead. configure:38824: checking for wx-config configure:38842: found /usr/local/bin/wx-config configure:38855: result: /usr/local/bin/wx-configp [...........] configure:39018: checking wx/wxprec.h usability configure:39030: g++ -c -Wsign-compare -Wsign-compare -Wall -pipe -fpermissive -DSYS_LINUX -fpermissive -I/usr/local/lib/wx/include/gtk2-ansi-release-2.6 -I/usr/local/include/wx-2.6 -DGTK_NO_CHECK_CASTS -D__WXGTK__ -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE=1 -D_UNICODE -DUNICODE conftest.cc >&5 configure:39036: $? = 0 configure:39039: test -z || test ! -s conftest.err configure:39042: $? = 0 configure:39045: test -s conftest.o configure:39048: $? = 0 configure:39058: result: yes configure:39062: checking wx/wxprec.h presence configure:39072: g++ -E -DSYS_LINUX -fpermissive -I/usr/local/lib/wx/include/gtk2-ansi-release-2.6 -I/usr/local/include/wx-2.6 -DGTK_NO_CHECK_CASTS -D__WXGTK__ -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE=1 -D_UNICODE -DUNICODE conftest.cc configure:39078: $? = 0 configure:39098: result: yes configure:39133: checking for wx/wxprec.h configure:39140: result: yes

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 07 Dec 2005 08:52

In general, this problem is due to unresolved symbols in the wxWidgets plugin of VLC. To see if this is the case, you can run 'vlc -v --reset-config --reset-plugins-cache -l | grep wx', which will probably tell you about unresolved symbols.

As for the fix, adding the line '/us/local/lib' in /etc/ld.so.conf is generally enough (do not forget to run 'ldconfig' as root, after adding this line).

Once it was due to unresolved symbols about libcdio too. In this case, fix the installation of libcdio on your system, or recompile VLC with --disable-cdio).

verbose

Postby verbose » 07 Dec 2005 21:05

$ vlc -v --reset-config --reset-plugins-cache -l | grep wx

[00000001] main vlc warning: cannot load module `/usr/lib/vlc/demux/libmkv_plugin.so' (/usr/lib/vlc/demux/libmkv_plugin.so: undefined symbol: _ZNSs4_Rep20_S_empty_rep_storageE)
[00000001] main vlc warning: cannot load module `/usr/lib/vlc/gui/libwxwidgets_plugin.so' (/usr/lib/vlc/gui/libwxwidgets_plugin.so: undefined symbol: _ZN5wxApp10InitializeERiPPw)

I already have '/usr/local/lib' in ld.conf.so and I've run ldconfig.

I am going to try compiling without libcdio... see if that works.
Thanks

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 08 Dec 2005 01:23

In your case, the problem seems to be in wxWidgets itself (the function wxApp::Initialize() is part of wxWidgets). So i would say that something is wrong with your installation of wxWidgets.
It could also be a problem in the wxWidgets module of VLC, but if you are compiling VLC 0.8.4 or the current SVN it shouldn't be the case.

xanas3712
New Cone
New Cone

Postby xanas3712 » 10 Dec 2005 00:34

I have the exact same problem as him, the exact same error.
vlc -vv -l --reset-plugins-cache
VLC media player 0.8.4 Janus
[00000001] main vlc debug: opening config file /root/.vlc/vlcrc
[00000001] main vlc debug: checking builtin modules
[00000001] main vlc debug: checking plugin modules
[00000001] main vlc debug: removing plugins cache file /root/.vlc/cache/plugins-04081e.dat
[00000001] main vlc debug: recursively browsing `modules'
[00000001] main vlc debug: recursively browsing `/usr/lib/vlc'
[00000001] main vlc warning: cannot load module `/usr/lib/vlc/gui/libwxwidgets_plugin.so' (/usr/lib/vlc/gui/libwxwidgets_plugin.so: undefined symbol: _ZN5wxApp10InitializeERiPPw)
[00000001] main vlc debug: recursively browsing `plugins'
[00000001] main vlc debug: module bank initialized, found 169 modules
I've done a lot of google searching about it but couldn't find much out. I've already recompiled wxGTK 2.6, but that didn't fix the problem. I've also recompiled vlc (the latest version in gentoo portage, which is 0.8.4)

EDIT:
I tried several things including upgrading to wxGTK 2.6.2 but that still didn't help. Finally I just tried to compile without the skins2 use flag, for just the plain wx interface and it seems to work, but crashes when I try to browse for files..

verbose

Postby verbose » 10 Dec 2005 06:08

Still returning the same error (libcdio disabled). I figured it would, but it's worth a shot.

ipkiss: Thanks. I'll have to look into reinstalling wxWidgets at some point.

[quote=xanas3712,Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:34 pm]Finally I just tried to compile without the skins2 use flag, for just the plain wx interface and it seems to work, but crashes when I try to browse for files..[/quote]
I tried this as well, and it worked. Disabling skins2 is the equivalent of only using 'dummy' mode.

I don't even really want the skin and I prefered the the gui in v0.8.2, fetched using apt-get from debian.video.free.fr, but this site no longer offers it, nor does packages.debian.org seeing as I'm using etch and it's technically not supported for "testing."

Two other things, while I'm thinking about them:
1. I was hoping v0.8.4 would fix the avi segfault, but it hasn't. I thought I saw somewhere that the latest release fixed this (not sure).
2. The latest version of vlc is much slower than the previous version (at least for me it is). It is entirely possible that my last installed version of vlc was specially optimized for Debian. Anyway, I've noticed 0.8.4 being dramatically slower.

Also... after recompiling, I get a steady stream of the following warnings:
[00000545] main video output warning: late picture skipped (1133195)
[00000545] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (901527), dropping buffer

This was not occuring before I disabled libcdio, but that couldn't have caused this... I'm not running anything that's sucking up a lot of cpu cycles (nothing out of the ordinary, at least).

Thanks

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 10 Dec 2005 11:34

FYI, enabling or disabling the skins2 module has nothing to do with the fact that wxWidgets is working or not. The skins do not depend _directly_ on wxWidgets, they simply ask to the VLC core a module for the dialogs, which happens to be the wxWidgets one.

charvolant

libwxwidgets load problem

Postby charvolant » 10 Dec 2005 21:37

I've been getting the same symptoms -- and been going around in the same circles trying to fix it.

I'm using the freshrpms RPM for 0.8.4

The significant error message I get from

vlc -v --reset-config --reset-plugins-cache -l | grep wx

is

[00000001] main vlc warning: cannot load module `/usr/lib/vlc/gui/libwxwidgets_plugin.so' (libiso9660.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)

This is a bit odd, since libiso9660.so.4 is referenced in the /usr/lib/vlc/gui/libwxwidgets_plugin.so file.

xanas3712
New Cone
New Cone

Postby xanas3712 » 10 Dec 2005 21:52

FYI, enabling or disabling the skins2 module has nothing to do with the fact that wxWidgets is working or not. The skins do not depend _directly_ on wxWidgets, they simply ask to the VLC core a module for the dialogs, which happens to be the wxWidgets one.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I am saying that just disabling skins2 during the compile process made the normal wx interface work...

I'm not sure why, but my errors were exactly the same as his previous to that. The exact same undefined symbol message was there, and was gone when using vlc -vv -l --reset-plugins-cache after that, and wxvlc worked.

The interface was also brought up before, but the preferences menu couldn't be selected and I couldn't really do much with the skins2 interface (it said that it couldn't get wxWidgets or whatever).

But with the wx interface directly it works, and I get no error on loading modules.

I guess it could be a bug?

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 10 Dec 2005 23:19

I think it's worth trying again with skins2 enabled now...

verbose

Postby verbose » 11 Dec 2005 02:07

I'm still getting the following warnings when using vlcd (vlc --intf dummy), which is preventing me from playing videoss:

[00000545] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (901527), dropping buffer
[00000499] avi private warning: unknown chunk (not unloaded)

I think I'm just going to disable skins2 since I have no need for a skin anyway.

Thanks

verbose

Postby verbose » 11 Dec 2005 06:50

Correct me if I'm wrong, but after I install vlc with skins2 disabled, shouldn't vlc be the equivalent of dummy mode? As it is right now, it still launches with the osx skin for some reason with the same "No suitable dialogs" error.

./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-wxwindows --disable-wxwidgets --enable-aa --disable-skins2 --disable-joystick --disable-kde --disable-qt --enable-ncurses --enable-release --enable-dvdread

ipkiss
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby ipkiss » 11 Dec 2005 15:17

You seem to be mixing up several things.
./configure
--prefix=/usr
--disable-wxwindows
--disable-wxwidgets
--enable-aa
--disable-skins2
--disable-joystick
--disable-kde
--disable-qt
--enable-ncurses
--enable-release
--enable-dvdread
First of all, remove the "--disable-wxwindows" flag, it is deprecated and is replaced by the --disable-wxwidgets" one.

If you build with --disable-skins2_and --disable-wxwidgets, then yes, you won't have the skins interface nor the wxwidgets interface. You will have the dummy interface by default, but you can still use the rc one (vlc --intf rc), the http one (vlc --intf http), the ncurses one (vlc --intf ncurses), etc..., depending on which ones you enabled in configure.

If you build with --enable-skins2 and --disable-wxwidgets, then the skins interface will be the default one, but won't be very useful because no dialog box will be available. This will give you the "No suitable dialogs provider found" message.

If you build with --disable-skins2 and --enable-wxwidgets, then the wxWidgets interface will be the default one, and you will get no skins.

If you build with --enable-skins2 and --enable-wxwidgets, then the wxWidgets interface will be the default one. Skins will also be available (vlc --intf skins2, or "Switch interface" in the Settings menu) and will work completely, without any restriction due to the dialogs provider.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I am saying that just disabling skins2 during the compile process made the normal wx interface work...
As explained above, this is not possible if you only changed --enable-skins2 into --disable-skins2 (unless you have found a very weird bug, but i really doubt it). But this is possible if you changed --disable-wxwidgets into --enable-wxwidgets at the same time.
[00000499] avi private warning: unknown chunk (not unloaded)
This has nothing to do with the combination of interfaces you use (skins2/wxWidgets).
I think I'm just going to disable skins2 since I have no need for a skin anyway.
Do as you like. What i wanted to point out is that enabling or disabling the skins2 interface doesn't change anything to the fact that the wxWidgets interface is working or not, or to the fact that you get the above warnings in the logs.

verbose

Postby verbose » 13 Dec 2005 06:08

After installing without --disable-wxwindows, the dialogs error continues to show up.

verbose

Postby verbose » 14 Dec 2005 05:39

Nevermind what I said above. That only happens when I don't specify a file. However, it still seems odd that it loads the skins2 gui anyway since I disabled it in compilation.

I'm still getting a lot of this sort of stuff though...
[00000286] main video output warning: late picture skipped (4094055)
[00000285] main audio output warning: PTS is out of range (646837), dropping buffer
[00000285] main audio output warning: output PTS is out of range (128216), clearing out
[00000285] main audio output warning: input PTS is out of range (149752), trashing
[00000285] main audio output warning: computed PTS is out of range (102063), clearing out
[00000285] main audio output warning: timing screwed, stopping resampling
...and I'm really not sure why considering it was always fine before (even after the upgrade to 0.8.4).

verbose

Postby verbose » 15 Dec 2005 05:35

I can't find anything regarding the errors I've posted above. Any ideas what the deal is with this? Again, nothing should be slowing video playback.

Thanks

verbose

Postby verbose » 15 Dec 2005 15:52

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

verbose

Postby verbose » 17 Dec 2005 09:35

Nothing, nada, zilch, zero, null, zip, zippo, zot, nix?

simonb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Linux

Postby simonb » 18 Dec 2005 19:27

I just had the same problem. I found this in another post, try adding
--with-wx-config=wx-config-unicode
to the config.

That seemed to fix it for me.

verbose

Postby verbose » 19 Dec 2005 02:32

I was beginning to think I'd never get a response.
Hmm, I'd like to know why that fixes it... Anyway, I'll give it a try and hopefully it will resolve the problem.

Thanks

verbose

Postby verbose » 19 Dec 2005 04:07

That helped a little bit for one file (low res) but not for another one (high res, quality).
What happened in between 0.8.2 and 0.8.4... because everything was perfectly fine when I was using 0.8.2.

WalterK
New Cone
New Cone

Postby WalterK » 19 Dec 2005 05:16

you got a good comple verbose?
I try and try and it tells me I'm still missing wxwidgets although judging from the other threads I downloaded the source of wxwidgets compiled and did everything , no errors in ./configure but after the compile I launch vlc same complaint about

[00000264] main dialogs provider error: no dialogs provider module matched "any"
[00000263] skins2 interface error: No suitable dialogs provider found (hint: compile the wxWidgets plugin, and make sure it is loaded properly)

The from from :vlc -v --reset-config --reset-plugins-cache -l | grep wx

is

[00000001] main vlc warning: cannot load module `/usr/local/lib/vlc/gui/libwxwidgets_plugin.so' (/usr/local/lib/vlc/gui/libwxwidgets_plugin.so: symbol _ZN5wxApp10InitializeERiPPw, version WXU_2.6 not defined in file libwx_gtk2u_core-2.6.so.0 with link time reference)

driving me up a wall.

Whats your secret?

verbose

Postby verbose » 19 Dec 2005 07:58

I ended up just giving up on skins2. :)

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”