Windows gets inresponsive after VLC has played a DVD

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
custodis
New Cone
New Cone

Windows gets inresponsive after VLC has played a DVD

Postby custodis » 01 Jun 2006 14:41

Hi,

I'm using VLC 0.8.5 (wxWidgets interface). I've the following problem.

When I have played a DVD with VLC and close VLC, other programs (like Firefox or Thunderbird) don't start any more. Other programs (like Word, Excel) do start but get inresponsive right a way.

The only way to proceed is to turn of the computer!!!

I'm working on a laptop (don't know if that matters...).

Previous versions didn't have this problem.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 01 Jun 2006 22:01

Check your Task Manager and be sure VLC and the memory are being released. If not VLC may at some point been installed as a service and it will be necessary to uninstall the service in Preferences.

VLC normally does not require being run as a service and this may be checked by opening Windows Control Panel and selecting Administrative Tools, Services and looking for VLC Media Player.

If the service is not present, there is no known conflicts with other programs and VLC releases all processes from memory at the end of the file in use or at closing the player.

custodis
New Cone
New Cone

Postby custodis » 02 Jun 2006 10:34

Hi DJ,

Thanks for your replay.

As I understand it I should look for all running processes after I have closed VLC (with ctrl-alt-del). (I will translate from Dutch windows version)
- In the first tab (devices) VCL isn't present.
- In the second tab (processes) VCL isn't present, but it may be present with an other procesname. The memory use after closing VCL is 239/1249 MB and the CPU uses between 0 and 2%. Even if a proces of VCL is present it shouldn't be a problem I think (but I'm not an expert.)

Your second sugestion (to look if VLC is running as a service) I do not fully comprehend. (Again I translate from the Dutch Window version). What I did was the following:
- This computer
- Show system info -> a pannel appears with system properties
- I choose the tap "Hardware"
- I choose "device settings"
- I check the device settings for sound, video and games
- VCL isn't present here (nore anywhere else; I checked)

Is this what you mean?

I was wondering could the problem be related to the fact that in the installating of VLC I checked the box to make it possible for VLC running within Firefox?

I checked with HijackThis If VCL starts a proces without my knowing it, but I couldn't find anything. Also look with startuplist; nothing.

... :?:...

What should I do next?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 02 Jun 2006 21:02

In your Task Manager the name of the process is "vlc.exe"

The service can be found by opening your Control Panel and selecting Administrative Tools, Services and looking for "VLC Media Player".

custodis
New Cone
New Cone

Postby custodis » 03 Jun 2006 08:06

So that's what I did...

custodis
New Cone
New Cone

Postby custodis » 04 Jun 2006 20:56

Is there a way to report this bug?

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 04 Jun 2006 21:03

Post an email on vlc@videolan.org (if you're not on the list, please say so in your message so you get the answers to your email)
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”