VLC Enhancement

Feature requests for VLC.
Chakkaradeep

VLC Enhancement

Postby Chakkaradeep » 05 Jul 2004 17:41

Respected sir/Madam,

i have already posted in VLC Media Player Forum regarding where the network sokcet connections are made and the data are transfered..i did find the netowrk initialisations in "network.h" and for RTP connections in "rtp.c"..but where are the transmissions and opening of socket connections done...

can anybdy give me a proper documentation of the Network Scenario that is being accomplished by VLC??

expecting ur reply,

C.C.Chakkaradeep

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 05 Jul 2004 18:04

Have you read the VLC API Documentation, and VLC Developer Documentation?
http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/

Chakkaradeep

Enhancement of VLC

Postby Chakkaradeep » 06 Jul 2004 14:09

Respected Sir,

thanks for your link..but i do have those documents in hand, even in those am not able to find where VLC initialises the socket connections and where it starts transmitting the packets in the network??....to be clear, when we say "START" in "Stream Wizard Dialog Box", how the VLC starts up with the connection and packetise the media and send??.....am trying my level best to learn this but am not able to get a clear documentation on this...

i would be very happy if u provide me with this material or an approach to learn this..

expecting ur reply,

with regards,
C.C.Chakkaradeep

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 06 Jul 2004 21:39

This is a very complicated proces that requires several stages and modules.

It is too difficult to explain 100%

Basically the chain is like this:
Raw video -> encoded video (modules/codec )
encoded -> video packetizing/framing (modules/packetizer or modules/mux )
muxing streams in container (modules/mux)
choosing stream methods/options etc (modules/stream_out)
sending container to an output (modules/access_output)
if network, output load a network module (modules/misc/network)

As you can see VLC is a higly modularized and objectified system. Alle this is controlled by the corecode in /src. There isn't one clear path in the code that you can follow, simply because VLC does not do just one thing. To completely understand the entire process requires an extreme amount of effort. Depending on your knowledge and experience with a/v programs and coding, this can take you years.

(i learned VLC, c coding and a/v systems from scratch and after 2.5 year i finally understand it most of the time)
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Chakkaradeep

VLC Enhancement

Postby Chakkaradeep » 08 Jul 2004 18:44

Respected Sir,

thanks for ur reply...i will sure do learn the modules. Here i have to change the Interface so i would be doing the Skeleton work of the Interface first, and then incorporating the Functionalities as incorporated by VLC in my Interface....only difficulty i find here is the parameters passed and the correct function to be called....

how is the "Interface" module and the code in "/src" are connected together..since am new to Linux i dont know this part..i know that there is something to be done with libraries..am i right??"

expecting ur reply,

with regards,
C.C.Chakkaradeep

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”