msvc, 3rd party libraries, gui...

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.

msvc, 3rd party libraries, gui...

Postby Guest » 20 Feb 2004 18:10

Hello,

I have a few questions...

I have compiled the source code using visual C++ and once i run it I get the message if you can't see gui type "vlc -I wxwin" in a command box, well i have tried this and it doesn't help...
does this mean I am missing a library??

either way, I can live without the gui and just use command line args that are listed in the manual.
But in order to use command line args do I need to add additional 3rd party libraries to just get some sort of transfer started??? or ever just to get it to play something...

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
thanks,
Matt.

Gibalou
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Gibalou » 22 Feb 2004 01:49

You'll likely need to compile additional plugins to do what you want (not all the plugins are included in the dsw file).
However some of them will likely not compile with MSVC.

Have a look at the INSTALL.win32 file in the source tree, it explains how to build a full-featured vlc with cygwin under windows.

Artem

same problem

Postby Artem » 27 Feb 2004 17:12

I've the same problem as Guest after compiling in MSVC 7. And filesize of vlc.exe is about 450 Kb. So, I think that default VS project for vlc doesn't include lots of libraries.
Question: how to make it work ???

Gibalou
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Gibalou » 27 Feb 2004 18:40

You'll have to download and compile the 3rd party libraries that VLC uses (eg. libmpeg2, liba52, wxWindows, etc..). Have a look here for an exhaustive list: http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/

Once you've done that, you will also have to modify the msvc project files of the plugins you want to compile so MSVC can find those 3rd party libraries.

All in all, this isn't worth it because it takes an enormous amount of time and if you had read the INSTALL.win32 file carefully, you would have noticed that it is a lot easier (straightforward) to use cygwin/gcc as the build environment.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”