to compile vlc 0.8.2 using cygwin in windows XP

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
saigon_man
New Cone
New Cone

to compile vlc 0.8.2 using cygwin in windows XP

Postby saigon_man » 26 Oct 2005 16:15

OK,
I have been spending few days to try to make vlc 0.8.2 to compile using cygwin in windows XP. I finally got it compiled. So, I thought it would be helpful if I can share my experience of compiling vlc because I had not been able to find a good documentation to show me step by step of how to compile vlc. Here they are
1. Need to get the source 0.8.2 (as of today Octorber, 26, 2005)
2. Download the librarie packages at http://download.videolan.org/pub/testing/win32/
The one that I used is contrib-20050606-win32-bin-gcc3.3.1-only.tar.bz2. but you can try later versions (I think upto version of 20050624 for this current release of vlc, but I might be wrong) Once you download that packed, then put it in the vlc folder. Once you finish installing cygwin (as stated below) you can go into that vlc folder from cygwin and type
tar xjvf contrib-20050606-win32-bin-gcc3.3.1-only.tar.bz2 -C /
This will create a win32 folder in the usr folder inside the cygwin folder
3. Install the latest cygwin. You can either follow the instructions of installing cygwin in vlc page at http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/Cygw ... ntRevB.pdf. Just remember that the some package version listed in that pdf might be too old compare to the version listed in your cygwin download windows. But that's OK. Just download what they said in that PDF and ignore the version. Or you can go ahead and install everything. This might take up a large amount of your disk space but it saves you time of going checking each package.
4. if you run the ./configure and see something like "autoconf already registerd with AC_....." then there is probably some carriage returns in the configure.ac in vlc folder. To fix this, from cygwin window, type
a. cp configure.ac configure.ac.bak
b. tr -d '\r' <configure.ac.bak >configure.ac
This will get rid of all carriage returns.
5. From cygwin window, type gcc --version. If you see you have version 3.4.x or above, then you need to disable the mkv package. So the complete script for the configure will be
./bootstrap && \
CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/win32/include -I/usr/win32/include/ebml" \
LDFLAGS=-L/usr/win32/lib \
CC="gcc -mno-cygwin" CXX="g++ -mno-cygwin" \
./configure \
--disable-sdl --disable-gtk --disable-mkv \
--enable-nls \
--enable-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-mp3lame --with-ffmpeg-faac \
--with-ffmpeg-zlib --enable-faad --enable-flac --enable-theora \
--with-wx-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \
--with-freetype-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \
--with-fribidi-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \
--enable-livedotcom --with-livedotcom-tree=/usr/win32/live.com \
--enable-caca --with-caca-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \
--with-xml2-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \
--with-dvdnav-config-path=/usr/win32/bin \
--disable-cddax --disable-vcdx --enable-goom \
--enable-toolame --enable-dvdread \
--enable-debug \
--enable-optimizations \
--enable-release
6. Once you done configuring, just type make and it will create an exe file for your newly compile VLC. You're done here and so am I :lol:

Hope this helps :lol: :roll:
Cheers

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”