vlc can't open cda as file

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
vlc-tester

vlc can't open cda as file

Postby vlc-tester » 17 Jan 2006 18:17

VLC can not open cda (cd audio) as a file. Is this a bug or it supported to open as Disc. ? (audio disc)

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 17 Jan 2006 19:06

I'm not sure I understand your question?

VLC does play audio CDs.

From within VLC, right click on the payer and choose, Open, Open Disk, then tick the box marked Audio CD. Change the drive letter if it is not correct and press OK.

From the command line (within the VLC directory) type, vlc cdda://D: and enter, where D: is the letter of the drive you have placed the CD.

Bragador

Postby Bragador » 09 Feb 2006 22:52

Oh wow it does work afterall !

I've been searching for a way to play cds myself for more than 2 months.

I must say it is not a user friendly way to open music cds. If someone has the time, it would be nice to open detect what kind of cd is being played, or somthing like that to avoid the user to select all these obscure options.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 10 Feb 2006 00:41

Oh wow it does work afterall !

I've been searching for a way to play cds myself for more than 2 months.

I must say it is not a user friendly way to open music cds. If someone has the time, it would be nice to open detect what kind of cd is being played, or somthing like that to avoid the user to select all these obscure options.
In fact it is a problem between Windows and VLC. VLC does not recognize the trailing "\" when calling the Audio CD from the windows interface and there is a trouble report on it, so hopefully it will get fixed in future releases.

:lol:

Bragador

Postby Bragador » 10 Feb 2006 01:59

Damn you windows !

Another reason for me to switch for linux this summer 8)

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 10 Feb 2006 02:56

Damn you windows !

Another reason for me to switch for linux this summer 8)
Well, once upon a time there was a replaceable parameter that would make the right call for VLC. But like all good fairy tails it seems to have disappeared. So it ends up being a VLC problem.

vlc_tester

Postby vlc_tester » 11 Feb 2006 19:35

VLC does play audio CDs.

From within VLC, right click on the payer and choose, Open, Open Disk, then tick the box marked Audio CD. Change the drive letter if it is not correct and press OK.

From the command line (within the VLC directory) type, vlc cdda://D: and enter, where D: is the letter of the drive you have placed the CD.
It works only if open it as D, E drive.
What I mean was that's if you open as a file, browse for D drive and select an audio track (cda). VLC won't play.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 11 Feb 2006 21:22

VLC does play audio CDs.

It works only if open it as D, E drive.
What I mean was that's if you open as a file, browse for D drive and select an audio track (cda). VLC won't play.
Yup! I'm not aware of a player that works like that. All that is listed on the disk is contained in a TOC file and each of the files are 44 bites long they exist as pointers to the araw files on the disk. Believe it or not there are a number of reasons for doing it this way that are a bit to long to go into here.

I'm am using one of the newer Nightly Builds of VLC and when you call an Audio CD into the player it shows all of the songs on the disk in the playlist thus allowing you to select any song you like.

dalem
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dalem » 09 Jul 2006 22:26

Whenever you are having trouble with a certain file-type or extension not opening with the desired application, you should always check these settings in Windows first.

If you are using Windows 2000 or XP you need to associate the file-type with the application.

In any Explorer window go to Tools-Folder Options-File Types.

Scroll down the list and look for AudioCD click it and then the Advanced button. In the Edit File Type dialog box you can set VLC Player as the default player for Audio CD's (you may have to browse for the VLC.exe).

If for some reason you don't have the Audio CD item listed in the file types list, scroll down and look for CDA. It most likely isn't there so click on New and type CDA into the file extension window and click OK.
This will put the CDA file extension on the list.
Make sure the new CDA entry is highlighted and below, across from Opens With select Change.

In the next box that comes up click on Select the program from a list then click OK

In the Opens With dialog box select the VLC player from the list.
If it isn't on the list, click Browse and locate VLC.exe and
make sure you check the box labeled Always use the selected program to open this kind of file.

Your disk should open in VLC player automatically.

I would also suggest that if you still have Windows Media Player installed, that you open it, click on: Tools-Options- File Types and un-check Music CD Playback.

Postby Guest » 10 Jul 2006 00:04

What would you suggest as the replaceable parameter in a multi-drive setup?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”