Playback speed increments and shortcuts

Feature requests for VLC.
vlcusereerds
New Cone
New Cone

Playback speed increments and shortcuts

Postby vlcusereerds » 12 Aug 2011 07:16

Hi,

This feature request has been discussed before (it has actually been discussed for 2.5 years it seems) but I just realised that it was possibly in the wrong section of the forum (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55897&p=308230#p308230), so I am reposting here:

Feature request: The ability to configure the playback speed increment associated to a shortcut.

Description: At the moment, there is a slider that allows us to increment the playback speed from 1.0x to 1.1x, 1.18x, 1.25x, 1.33x, etc. However, it seems the keyboard shortcuts (+ and -) only allow to go from 1.0 to 1.5 to 2.0 (actually, I wasn't even able to get those shortcuts to work on my remote control...). The request is to either change the + and - assignation to increase by .1 (or at least something smaller than .5x) each time the + or - (or another remote control button?) is pressed. Alternatively, even better, allow us to CONFIGURE the increment amount. For example, if I configure ".1" then I could, from my REMOTE CONTROL, go from playback at 1x speed, to 1.1x, to 1.2x, etc.

Justification: For some people watching a movie, going from 1x to 1.5x and 2x to speed things up is acceptable since they are only "fast forwarding" to a specific place. However, for me (and many others I am certain) who watch way too much TV, but likes to do it quickly, I continually watch shows at 1.1, 1.2, 1.33, up to 1.5x. Also, I continuously switch between those speeds depending on what is happening (dialogs vs action, boring part, vs part where many people speak very fast so I need to slow down, etc), and also depending on who is speaking. At the moment, the playback speed slider allows me to do this "manually", but is VERY inconvenient because:

1- I am using a MCE Remote to control my HTPC, and I need to take out my dinovo wireless keyboard+mouse whenever (very often) I want to change playback speed;
2- Even with my wireless mouse, I need to first double click on the screen to EXIT full screen mode for the playback speed slider to appear, then I can change the speed, then double click again on the screen to go back to full screen mode. I do this MANY MANY times per show... as you can imagine, this drives my g-f NUTS!
3- It is difficult to get the exact speed I want when using a wireless mouse like the dinovo-mini from Logitech, it requires me to carefully and slowly slide to ge the exact speed I require.
4- Very often, I'll click by mistake ABOVE the playback SPEED slider, which means that I actually bring the playback slider almost to the end of the movie (the playback speed is all the way at the RIGHT of the screen), so basically I sometimes ruin the punch of a movie because momentarily I "seeked" the playback slider to the end
5- Being able to do it via a remote would be a lot faster than requiring a mouse

So, there you have it. This feature would be very very appreciated, and I'm sure others feel the same way.

Thanks
Last edited by vlcusereerds on 12 Aug 2011 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Playback speed increments and shortcuts

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 12 Aug 2011 11:28

Look better...
There are shortcuts for 1.0 1.5 2.0 and some for +/- 0.05x
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

vlcusereerds
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vlcusereerds » 13 Aug 2011 05:46

Well, I had searched. But my Google searches for "vlc shortcuts" did not yield a list that included what I was looking for. However, the answer was indeed a little simpler, as I noticed that under the preference menu, there is a "hotkeys" tab where I can set pretty much anything.

For others stumbling upon this page looking for what I was looking for, here is the answer:
By default, the "+" and "-" keys will increase/decrease to 1x, 1.5x, 2x, 3x. The "[" and "]" keys will increase/decrease by .1X (exactly what I was hoping for, but not "0.05x" as stated by Jean-Baptiste above.

Now, for some reason, when I reassigned the fine speed increase and decrease to the "left" and "right" keys of my remote, it didn't work until I ALSO assigned in the "Global" shorkeys. This may have been because I also had Windows Media Center opened in the background (?) but I did find it surprising that, with VLC in focus, it didn't work if the assignation was not done under "Global". The same held true for the reassignement of the +10sec and -10sec keys to "back" and "skip" on my remote: Needed to do it under "global".

In any case, I am happy that I was able to find a solution to my problem.

Thanks

diligence109
New Cone
New Cone

Postby diligence109 » 17 Feb 2013 21:34

You were the first hit on google and '[' and ']' were exactly the hotkeys I was looking for! On behalf of the internet, thanks!

yetanotherlogin
New Cone
New Cone

Postby yetanotherlogin » 07 Mar 2023 15:16

Doesn't seem work on a FR keyboard layout. Could be specific to US layout.

+/- on the keypad works in 50% increments, so isn't an alternative to Play > Speed > Faster/Slower.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”