Playlist - randomize order

Feature requests for VLC.
pim
New Cone
New Cone

Playlist - randomize order

Postby pim » 21 Apr 2010 20:48

First of all - just installed prerelease of 1.1 and I am really impressed. Usage of playlist and media library is much more convenient than in older versions.

And now to the point. I would like to hear your opinions of this idea:
I like to play my music in random order but I prefer some songs over another so I would appreciate to have more control of playlist order than just in "random order" mode.
So my idea is to have button "randomize" which would keep mixing items position in playlist as long as it is pressed. (Second step would be manually set position of some items according to mood or personal preferences:-) ). Then you would see which item is to be played next or which one was played before the current one.

What do you think? Would anyone else find this usefull?

(It is even possible that something similar can be found in other players but I use VLC universally and have no need to keep trying another pieces of software:-) )

danoussh
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Playlist - randomize order

Postby danoussh » 22 Apr 2010 12:27

On my first version Zune player, the playlist can be randomized and you can see what you are going to get next.

And yeah would be an excellent idea to be able to manually change the order.

For example, some artist have songs which must be played in an order. Linkin Park's songs have a bit of the last song in the previous song.
So with your idea we can randomiz and easily put a specifique song right after another for a better transition.

pim
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pim » 25 Apr 2010 20:30

Nobody else seems to be interested. Nevermind. One can live without this feature.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 26 Apr 2010 10:30

Nobody else seems to be interested. Nevermind. One can live without this feature.
Or you can code it. !:D
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

pim
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pim » 28 Apr 2010 00:41

Yes. Great idea. Give me year or two until I learn C a little and till next decade you'll have the patch:-)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 28 Apr 2010 11:35

Yes. Great idea. Give me year or two until I learn C a little and till next decade you'll have the patch:-)
Great! :D
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

tomZ
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tomZ » 25 Jun 2010 21:48

G'day
I'm new to videolan (and it's forums) so I'm primarily here to learn, however.....
If you wanted to have more favs played during the "random order", populate your playlist/library with more copies of them.
I don't know if multiple links to the song would work, or an additional "favs" folder with multiple copies could be included when you want to 'bulk up' your favs selection during the random selection.
This _may_ also result in a fav being played back-to-back-to-back-to-ba......., so I hope you REALLY like the song :)
Cheers,
tomZ

laforge
New Cone
New Cone

Postby laforge » 31 Mar 2012 23:34

Hello i'm an Arch Linux user and i've been using XMMS & mplayer combination for a long time.
But i just discovered VLC and the only thing i seem to miss is the ability to randomize the order of a (m3u) playlist.

Would really appreciate this option in the 'sort' dropdown menu.
Many thanks in advance!

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 10 Apr 2012 16:04

>>> VLC Extension: Playlist randomizer
I have made an extension that could help you before some developer will decide to implement for example some randomizing button next to "Change playlistview" button in playlist.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”