Subtitle Tags

Feature requests for VLC.
joseph5
Cone that earned his stripes

Subtitle Tags

Postby joseph5 » 09 Jan 2004 18:49

Hi,

Subtitle tags like bold, italic, underline and color tags would be great, because .srt subtitles show like this:
<i> Example </i>

Thanks in advance.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 09 Jan 2004 20:53

this should be removed from subtitles. We won't support bold, colors and position info for a long time...
I thought i had tought the parser to ignore such tags.

(in my eyes it's even useless, subtitles need to be standard formatted so they are easily readable like they do on TV for instance. but that's just a personal opinion.)
Don't use PMs for support questions.

pallegro

subtitle decoder

Postby pallegro » 17 Jan 2004 05:47

hmm, I gotta' admit your point is well backed by how nice vlc 0.7 is, across the board and platforms. But - and I may be ignorant here - I don't see why TVs and settop boxes, etc. can't have a default decoder that could just ignore/parse out tags, while someone using VLC on their computer chooses a decoder that could handle, say, the text/font standards of html (or really just italics, bold, etc.).
It may just be me, but one is already missing out on some much flavour when reading subtitles instead of understanding the language, that it really would be nice for some added subtext to carry through ...

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 17 Jan 2004 08:22

The reason why we ignore them is technical btw. ATM our subtitle system only allows for rendering a complete sentence. It's very hard (read a shitload of work) to support things like italics in midsentence.
Probably noone will do it, because noone really needs it.

Sigmund
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Sigmund » 17 Jan 2004 11:28

Also if you files are really .srt, then there shouldn't be tags in them. That's not how that format works (as far as I know, at least) though I know other formats have tags in them, and these are ignored by vlc (I think again)

joseph5

Postby joseph5 » 18 Jan 2004 18:11

Also if you files are really .srt, then there shouldn't be tags in them. That's not how that format works (as far as I know, at least)
I've tried the .srt subtitles with tags in other players and they work (the player shows the italics).
other formats have tags in them, and these are ignored by vlc
Which ones?

Thanks in advance.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 19 Jan 2004 13:42

ssa (Substation alpha scripts) for instance.
as far as i know Subrip (srt) does not allow for tagging text. it probably just works, because it's windows and windows doesn't follow standards anyway.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”