Playlists and m3u files

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
RichardCA
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Playlists and m3u files

Postby RichardCA » 08 Jul 2012 08:22

Hi, I have two questions:

1. Does the current Android player support playlists, at all? I've tried various tricks to organize my playlists as m3u files but I can't make the player open them. Am I just missing something that's obvious to everyone else? :)

2. Is there a way to tell the player to just take all the files in a directory and play them as if they were all in one playlist?

What I really want is just the ability to organize by folder structure, as if each folder were it's own separate playlist.

Thanks.

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.0-git

Re: Playlists and m3u files

Postby edwardw » 08 Jul 2012 13:09

Hi, I have two questions:

1. Does the current Android player support playlists, at all? I've tried various tricks to organize my playlists as m3u files but I can't make the player open them. Am I just missing something that's obvious to everyone else? :)
Not as of right now, but support is planned for the future.
Is there a way to tell the player to just take all the files in a directory and play them as if they were all in one playlist?
Yes, Menu→Directories gets you into directory mode where you can browse your media files by directory instead of media library.

RichardCA
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby RichardCA » 08 Jul 2012 19:12

Yes, Menu→Directories gets you into directory mode where you can browse your media files by directory instead of media library.
Here is the behavior I'm looking for:

1. Browse to a directory.
2. Play the first file in the directory.
3. The icon for "play next file" will play the next file in the directory (based on an alphabetic sort of the file names).

When I say "Automatic playlists based on folder structure" this is the behavior I'm talking about.

Right now if I browse by directory and select a file (as you suggest), it just plays the one file and that's it.

Meridian does what I want (but does other things that annoy me). If VLC did this I'd be very happy. Alternately, I'd write a quick shell or Perl script to create an .m3u file that just mirrors the list of files in the directory.

Right now I can't do either of these things. Hence my post. :)

Thanks for the reply.

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.0-git

Postby edwardw » 10 Jul 2012 04:13

Fixed in latest master.

RichardCA
Blank Cone
Blank Cone