Automatic deinterlacing for DVD

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
badbob
New Cone
New Cone

Automatic deinterlacing for DVD

Postby badbob » 05 Apr 2009 15:30

When I play a DVD it's all jaggy, I know you have to choose a deinterlacing method. Is there any way of setting VLC to enable de-interlacing for DVD & DVD material, and set to the correct type of de-interacling method? For example I know movie and film has different deinterlacing techniques.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: Automatic deinterlacing for DVD

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 05 Apr 2009 22:21

The problem is, DVDs don't include interlacing infos. Short of adding an Artificial Intelligence, how do you determine which (if any) method to use?
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 05 Apr 2009 23:57

How do other apps like PowerDVD, Arcsoft TMT and even MPC-HC manage to do it right then ?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 06 Apr 2009 19:48

I guess they blindly apply a deinterlacing filter, and disregards the fact that it can damage the image quality depending on the DVD. Or maybe they have some clever post-processing algorithms that we don't.

Don't get me wrong. It would be perfectly feasible to enable deinterlacing by default for DVDs, but I'm afraid some clever dudes would complain :-(
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

kurkosdr
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby kurkosdr » 10 Jul 2009 16:30

The problem is, DVDs don't include interlacing infos. Short of adding an Artificial Intelligence, how do you determine which (if any) method to use?
Vtirual Dub can most definately retriive interlacing infos from DVDs (VOBs) so DVDs might actually include that kind of info. Just feed VirtualDub with a VOB file, and it will immediately tell you if it is interlaced or progressive. According to the site, it does it by simply looking at the "encoding method" (yes there are some exceptions to the rule, as a very small portion of dvds out there have their encoding method set to interlaced whilst they are progressive, but they are a very rare case of badly authored material)

Most of the time, if VirtualDub reads "interlaced", time for VLC to do de-interlace. If not, disable. Simple.

Or maybe they have some clever post-processing algorithms that we don't.(
You can copy VirtualDubMod's code, it's there. You could just get the code that detects interlacing and use it.

No offense, but it's pretty embarrasing VLC reached 1.0.0 and this issue is still unresolved. DVDs are going for the closet and being replaced with bluray, and there is still no code in VLC to detect what they are (interlaced or not).

I tried to see the "back to the future" movies (PAL). The movie was progressive, but menus and extras were interlaced, so I had to change manually, whilst media player and powerDVD were flawless and with same quality on the progressice main movie.

Of course, I manually did blend in VLC, but most casual users don't what are those "mice teeth" appering in their screens, and what to do.

And by the way, what's the best de-interlace I should choose (X or Blend?)

chrizoo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby chrizoo » 26 Oct 2009 13:38

Would be interested to know, too. Thanks.
(especially so since I read (on Wikipedia) that "motion-compensated" is the best method, but it is not selectable in VLC)

kurkosdr

Postby kurkosdr » 26 Oct 2009 18:35

Would be interested to know, too. Thanks.
(especially so since I read (on Wikipedia) that "motion-compensated" is the best method, but it is not selectable in VLC)
They are possibly going to add Yadiff filter on VLC sometime in the future, which is the best de-interlace filter, ever. Till then, I just use blend, as it's the only option that results in a smooth picture, even if a little blury in fast-action scenes

chrizoo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby chrizoo » 06 Mar 2010 13:58

Thank you. Is there any description for Yadiff? Or at least a quick intro ?

I found this:
Port of YADIF (Yet Another DeInterlacing Filter) from MPlayer by Michael Niedermayer (http://www.mplayerhq.hu). It check pixels of previous, current and next frames to re-create the missed field by some local adaptive method (edge-directed interpolation) and uses spatial check to prevent most artifacts.
but is there a more detailed explanation of what it does?

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”