Localized language for DVD menus

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Localized language for DVD menus

Postby Lotesdelere » 13 Jul 2008 10:00

Even though I'm using VLC for many years, there is something that I can't get working.
Some DVD's offer localized language menus and I can't get VLC to display the menus from such DVD's in my OS default language.

For instance this is what I get with VLC:
Screenshot is from Linux but it's the same behaviour on Windows XP.

Whilst Media Player Classic ('old' one or HC) is doing it right:

So is there a way to force VLC to show the menus with the localized language used by the OS ?

And also in the preferences of VLC there are options for Audio Language and Subtitles Language but what are we supposed to type in there ? (e.g. French ? FR ? FRA ? FRE ?)

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Localized language for DVD menus

Postby Lotesdelere » 16 Jul 2008 09:53

Anyone ?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 01 Sep 2008 17:39

At least could anyone tell me what I am supposed to type in in the Audio Language and Subtitles Language options ? (e.g. French ? FR ? FRA ? FRE ?)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 01 Sep 2008 18:06

I am not even sure you can do it in VLC.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 01 Sep 2008 21:56

OK I can live with it :)

But please tell me what I am supposed to type in in the Audio Language and Subtitles Language options (e.g. French ? FR ? FRA ? FRE ?) so the selection will be automatic.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 02 Sep 2008 15:51

2 or 3 letter country codes as specified by the ISO are what we expect. See http://www.iso.org/iso/country_codes/is ... ents.htm#f..
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 03 Sep 2008 00:48

Thanks for the answer :)

So I've filled in the Audio Language option and Subtitles Language option fields with "FR" (without quotes, of course).

I've done some tests and it seems to work fine for the subtitles language selection. However it has no effect on the audio language track selection, the first audio track is always selected by default.
That was on Windows XP, I'll try on Linux later. Just to let you know.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 03 Sep 2008 15:11

Nice to know. Tell me if you still have issues with the audio language (and file a trac ticket if you do! :p).
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 03 Sep 2008 23:56

Well, I don't know what to think about. It's working fine with some DVD's, even though the french audio track is not the physically the first one, but not with most of the other ones.
All of the DVD's I've used for the tests are full commercial original DVD's with at least two different audio languages and two different subtitles languages.

The subtitles language selection seems to work in all cases but I got the audio language selection to work with about 25% of the tested DVD's.

However the non localized opening interface is quite annoying. I know that MPC-HC is also based on FFmpeg / libavcodec / libmpeg2 and there is an additional option in the preferences about the menu default language selection and it seems to always get the correct wanted audio track language.
Maybe the audio track language is 'linked' with the menu language ?

Some DVD's have a special opening screen or sequence (and I'm not talking about the usual warnings) which is localized and I wish VLC to be able to show it with the correct language (e.g. the fake warning screen at the beginning of Fight Club).

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 04 Sep 2008 14:23

Since this looks like a bug, you should file a bug report at http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/
If you're lucky it will get fixed rapidly :)
(make sure that you mention all the settings you changed and the different values you tried)
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 04 Sep 2008 17:12

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 10 Sep 2008 18:20

Looks like I've been lucky, that was fast and the localized menus are now working fine in recent nightly builds. Thanks a lot! :)

However for this feature to work it implies that we have filled in the Subtitles Language option with the wanted language.
Which means some side effects:
- The user must know about this trick. It's not obvious that the menu language is linked to the subtitles language selection.
- The subtitles are now enabled by default. Not a big deal as you can turn them off easily but it's a little annoyance.

So I have a suggestion: as VLC is able to detect the OS language (at least it does on Windows XP and Linux Debian) and to automatically apply this language to the interface, why not using this information to select the language of the DVD menu ?
Just an idea.

Oh BTW, the audio language automatic selection still doesn't work as expected. But at least now it will be easier for people to select the wanted language from a menu that they can understand.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”