mkv sound vs. dvd or hddvd bluray sound

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
kabal223
New Cone
New Cone

mkv sound vs. dvd or hddvd bluray sound

Postby kabal223 » 05 Jan 2008 18:43

First of all sorry for my bad english.

Ok, I just discover something yesterday watching The Bourne Ultimatum... some mkvs have low dinamic range compared to a original dvd or the original hddvd/bluray source.

Watching the bourne ultimatum yesterday I had the feeling that the sound in the action secuences not was loud enough for my taste, so I just thought that the sound of the movie was that way... not very impressive. But after reading some reviews in the internet about how amazing was the DD track of the HDDVD ultimatum I started to think that something was wrong about that release.

So, I downloaded the DVD5 version of the bourne ultimatum to test and compare the sound with the .mkv.

The scene that I choose to run the test was when bourne is in the the silver car in the parking lot and fell of the roof and hit the ground, Im using the RadioShack sound level meter to measure the decibels.

DVD5 test (thp release) Dolby Digital 5.1:
The difference in db (decibels) between the car crash with the next dialog scene when the guy says "he jump of the roof" is something arround 10~12db, a big dinamic range to feel that the crash was big.

.mkv test (bourne ultimatum 1080p ctrlhd release) DTS 5.1:
The difference in db in the same scene is something arround 3~4db, almost nothing.... its a big let down for a action movie like this one because you have to feel that a car crash is louder than a person speaking.

So, there is something wrong with some mkv releases that when the reencode of the sound some kill the dinamic range of the original sound with the result of a flat soundtrack.

Other examples are: Shooter 720p septic and matrix 1080p hV... I will run some more test to show that some of the new mkv releases have a inferior sound quality than the original dvd/hddvd/bd release.

Thanks and again sorry for my bad english.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”