Taking a Snapshot

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
bodok
New Cone
New Cone

Taking a Snapshot

Postby bodok » 24 Nov 2007 02:54

Hello, I am trying to use VLC v0.8.6c. The problem I am having is that whenever I try to capture a screenshot of the movie i am watching, it keeps the image size to whatever the movie's default size is regardless of the size i make the movie while playing. I need a way to capture the image with the size of the movie as it is playing or a custom size. Do you have any thoughts? Please advise.

bodok

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Re: Taking a Snapshot

Postby Arite » 24 Nov 2007 03:10

Well if you take a screenshot (Prt Scr) when the video output module is set to OpenGL then it captures the video too (whereas, for example on Windows, Direct3D would not capture the video frame).

To change the output module to OpenGL, go to:
Settings >> Preferences >> Video >> Output modules

Then tick the "Advanced options" tick box, and a "Video output module" drop-down box should appear. select "OpenGL video output" and select "Save". Restart VLC.

Then you can just press Prt Scr (or "Alt + Prt Scr" for just the selected window) and the video will be captured as well. Then you can paste the image into an image editing program, crop it etc. then save it.

Although perhaps not ideal, it offers a method of capturing a video frame at the size it is displayed at on a screen.

Cheers, Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

bodok
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bodok » 25 Nov 2007 18:32

TY for that but I know i can do it that way i was happy to use the snapshot option that VLC has VLC just makes the snapshot to small to set as my wallpaper but it likes like i will have to use the Print screen lol have a good day and if NE1 can tell me how to make the output size bigger with in VLC that will be cool thanks

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Arite » 25 Nov 2007 18:54

If you want to take a screenshot that is the same size as you wallpaper, just view the video in fullscreen and press Prt Scr (with OpenGL video output).

Arite.

DanielSmith
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DanielSmith » 17 Jan 2008 07:54

i think there are two solutions:
first, enlarge the vlc captured image to any size with some image editor software.
second, use some professional screen capture softwarelike snagit and aca capture pro, and capture your customated screen.
In a word, both the two methods' results are about the same

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 17 Jan 2008 11:06

In the next version of VLC you can specify a size for the snapshot and it'll take it accordingly. Nightly Builds perhaps?

aloha1s
New Cone
New Cone

Postby aloha1s » 20 Feb 2008 22:51

Hi I just installed VideoLan in my computer but for some reason I can't seem to take snapshots, I even followed a tutorial and everything.

This Tutorial --- http://community.livejournal.com/cap_it/2950440.html

And I don't get the little snapshot in the left corner. I am not sure maybe it's sometihng that I have installed in my computer but any help would be awesome.
:mrgreen:
Thanks in advance.

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Arite » 20 Feb 2008 23:09

You can also take a snapshot by going to "Video >> Snapshot". However, as in the tutorial, the default hotkey setting is Ctrl-Alt-S. The default format is PNG and the default location on Windows is My Pictures (called "vlcsnap...").

The resetting you preferences and cache if shapshots are not being saved.

Arite.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 20 Feb 2008 23:12

If you take a snapshot without specifying a directory to store them in then VLC will store them in C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\My Pictures (default directory can be changed). If they're not there then try reseting the Preferences and Cache within the VLC Preferences menu.

Sorry Artie, I didn't know that you responded already. I type a lot slower on the Wii. :roll:

aloha1s
New Cone
New Cone

Postby aloha1s » 20 Feb 2008 23:23

Thanks to both of you. I install it again and now it's Spanish I mean I speak Spanish but for some reason I work better with programs in English. How can I change it to English? cause when I was installing I went for English in the Language selection.

I'm so sorry to bother you really it's just that I like the program and I want to use it and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 20 Feb 2008 23:29

No bother. If we didn't want to be bothered we wouldn't answer your questions. :P

You should be able to change the language by going to Preferences...uh...just a minute.... :)

Edit
Grrrr. Sorry about the holdup, linking is a lttle difficult. OK so this should work (scroll down to my post):
viewtopic.php?p=126384

aloha1s
New Cone
New Cone

Postby aloha1s » 21 Feb 2008 00:11

Ok I did htat - and I keep on bothering you. I have no shame - but I would rather ask than stayign dumb.

So hwen I go to video - Snapshot - nothing happens except that my mouse - the white arrow gets al ittle square it's transparent though and it kinda flickers.

But nothing happens. Like I should get a little snapshot in the corner of the screen right? I don't get that.

Sorry again :wink:

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Arite » 21 Feb 2008 00:19

Sorry Artie, I didn't know that you responded already. I type a lot slower on the Wii. :roll:
No worries - nice to know you are making the most out of you Wii :D.
Ok I did htat - and I keep on bothering you. I have no shame - but I would rather ask than stayign dumb.

So hwen I go to video - Snapshot - nothing happens except that my mouse - the white arrow gets al ittle square it's transparent though and it kinda flickers.

But nothing happens. Like I should get a little snapshot in the corner of the screen right? I don't get that.

Sorry again :wink:
I would recommend completely deleting your preferences and cache files by going to:
C:\Documents and Settings\(Your username)\Application Data

And delete the "vlc" folder. Then open VLC and try taking a snapshot. If are not seeing the small thumbnail in the top corner open up My Pictures and look to see if a "vlcsnap..." PNG file have been created. Also - if you are not already using it, update to 0.8.6d.

Arite.

aloha1s
New Cone
New Cone

Postby aloha1s » 21 Feb 2008 00:41

I have 0.8.06d that's the one I installed :D
Would it mind that my files are in D: but when I go to Application Data there's not VLC carpet there :shock:

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Arite » 21 Feb 2008 00:50

Would it mind that my files are in D: but when I go to Application Data there's not VLC carpet there :shock:
What files are in D:\? It doesn't matter where your VLC installation or media files are. If you are able to access "Application Data" (for your user account)" then there should be a folder called "vlc" in there - it is generated each time you run VLC.

Arite.

aloha1s
New Cone
New Cone

Postby aloha1s » 21 Feb 2008 01:00

There's no carpet.

I only have the Vlan and then VLC carpet in the Program files one but that' s it.

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Arite » 21 Feb 2008 01:22

Well to just reset you preferences and cache files (should give the same result) go to:
Start >> All Programs >> VideoLAN >> Quick Settings >> Reset VLC media player preferences and cache files

Then open VLC and try taking a snapshot.

Arite.

aloha1s
New Cone
New Cone

Postby aloha1s » 21 Feb 2008 02:11

Thanks I did that! I think it's my computer or something cause it's not working! :D thanks anyways! That worked it's just the taking snapshots that doesn't :D

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”