UPnP MediaServer Extension for VLC

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
skonno
New Cone
New Cone

UPnP MediaServer Extension for VLC

Postby skonno » 13 May 2004 16:20

Hi,

I have released a GTK patch for VLC to support for UPnP AV MediaServer. Using the patch, you can play the movie contents easily.

The following dialog image lists recorded movies on Sony's Cocoon, CSV-EX9, in my home. The all titles are Japanese.

Currently, I could play the movie contents from the following UPnP AV media servers on Fedora Core 1.

1.Sony Cocoon (CSV-EX9/11)
2.Intel AV Media Server
3.Cyber Media Gate (My Implemented MediaServer)

Please the following URL if you have any interested :D

CyberLink for C++
http://www.cybergarage.org/net/upnp/cc/

CyberMediaGate for Java
http://www.cybergarage.org/net/cmgate/java/
Last edited by skonno on 04 Feb 2010 15:23, edited 1 time in total.

skonno
New Cone
New Cone

Postby skonno » 26 May 2004 18:52

I have released a wxWidgets patch for VideoLAN Client to support UPnP Media Server too.

I uploaded the source patch and the binary for Windows to SourceForge.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... p_id=89768

To compile the patch, you could get the latest CyberLink C++ that I will release soon as v1.4.1. The following Japanese dialog shows some media servers in my home on WindowsXP.

Please check it :-)
Last edited by skonno on 04 Feb 2010 15:24, edited 2 times in total.

Sigmund
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Sigmund » 26 May 2004 19:17

Is this just a gui patch, or is there something underlying as well?

Sigmund
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Sigmund » 26 May 2004 19:53

Some more thoughts:
Vlc has two other modules with similar functionality (namly slp and sap). Both these work by by adding stuff to the playlist when they discover it. While a bit limiting in usability it does have the benefit of being platform independent. VLC right now has quite a few interfaces in use ( wxwidgets, skins, skins2, macosx, beos, familiar linux gtk, and a winCE under development). Adopting your strategy will result in all these having to be updated. Eventual bugs would have to be fixed in all these places etc.

skonno
New Cone
New Cone

Postby skonno » 27 May 2004 02:44

Hi Sigmund,

I have released the UPnP extention using the GUI modules. Should I extend using a stand-alone module ?

The main functions are included to CyberLink C++, but I will check the module interfaces and other GUI implementation :-)

CyberLink C++
http://www.cybergarage.org/net/upnp/cc/index.html

will this be merged to main release?

Postby Guest » 08 Dec 2004 00:04

Will the ability to use upnp-av enabled servers be merged with the main release? (just dlded the 0.8.1 , and cant seem to find the functionality)

Sigmund
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Sigmund » 08 Dec 2004 00:15

the core of vlc have been extended to support this kind of functionality, but as of yet this particular feature still needs to be ported. I did have a look myself, but I have no compatible equipment, and neither does anyone else on my network, so it's kind of hard for me to know if it works or not.

Also, the library he is using is very large (26mb) so it will likely not be in a default install, unless this can be improved.

maxtrash

Postby maxtrash » 23 Jan 2005 11:06

sorry for my noob question but I downloaded the win32 executables, put one .dll in the plugin directory (overwriting the existing one) and put another in the VLC directory.
How do I get the extra tabsheet 'UPnP' like in the first screenshot?
Thanks

haggis

On Linux

Postby haggis » 03 Feb 2005 15:34

I've been trying to compile vlc on my fedora 2 system and adding th eupnp functionality to it.

Help, as I've not been very successful.

I've pulled over 0.7.1 and .0.8, placed in you're patches, but I can never get upnp showing up ??

Thanks

Otto

Postby Otto » 14 Feb 2005 14:52

skonno!

Do You have a uppdate on the UPnP patch for ver 0.8X ?

Greetings
Otto

skonno
New Cone
New Cone

UPnP AV patch for VLC 0.8.2 from Jim Huang

Postby skonno » 22 Jun 2005 15:45

Hi,

I knew that Jim Huang released a new patch of UPnP Media Server for VLC 0.8.2 using CyberLink for C++ v1.7.

To use Expat as the XML parser, you have to add his distributed patch to CyberLink v1.7, but the patch will be included with the next release of the CyberLink.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 16 Jul 2005 14:39

It seems the above mentioned patch fix compilation on Linux (which happens to be my OS of choice). That said, I'm afraid it will break compilation on other platforms.

It's a shame, but the fact is that iconv has incompatible prototypes from OSes to OSes. I have not tested but I believe the patch will choke on, e.g, *BSD.

A better patch would be to use the AM_ICONV macro in configure.ac and then use the ICONV_CONST #define appropriately.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

wrath
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

problems with ubuntu

Postby wrath » 16 Feb 2007 19:24

I have installed Ubuntu on my system and i have a lot of errors with vlc i tried different methods but can't find a sollution what to do ?
Daily Magazine

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 16 Feb 2007 19:37

You don't expect anybody to help you with such vague a problem statement, do you? We are not oracles!
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

wrath
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

vlc prob

Postby wrath » 19 Feb 2007 18:50

Well somebody said something about emulating with a program named WINE or something like that, now i regret uninstalling Windows but i heared that Linux is pretty nice, and i need it to program better. I really want to learn about TCP/IP client/server and udp programming and it really helps me a lot rather than using a putty server so i'm in a dilema i cant install windows now and i really like VLC so i'll ask him more and i'll post
Daily Magazine

wrath
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby wrath » 20 Feb 2007 22:49

Really nobody that can help me with this problem? i mean i can supply all the details just need to know what's the trick . I think i'll just install windows again or beter buy another system to put windows on . Better ideea indeed . Student Art

wrath
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby wrath » 21 Feb 2007 09:02

I think i can do it on my own.

wrath
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby wrath » 22 Feb 2007 14:05

In the end i'll do so. I think you can do a lot more only if u spend enough time on your problem. Ok it's good to have friends but it helps to know you can pull it off alone.

wrath
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby wrath » 23 Feb 2007 23:05

I did as i told. I never felt better in my life. I wonder how many things i can pull off all by myself.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 24 Feb 2007 00:13

As long as Intel, AMP and Microsoft keep putting out inferior product, I wouldn't be surprised that at some point they can't give them away.

wrath
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby wrath » 26 Feb 2007 19:46

How to support small firms in developing low price - good quality stuff, as long as these big guys ( intel, amd , nvidia) keep bringing them down ?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 26 Feb 2007 21:50

I keep wondering how a manufacturer can produce a machine for $300 - $400 and still pay Microsoft a royalty on the operating system???? The only thing I can think of is huge quantity and NO quality. This is something the little guy can't do.

Perhaps you say to the sales rep over lunch, that you intend purchasing 100k processors and want to mix the order for the same price break. Do you think the sales rep will say no and or not also pay for the lunch? Don't get reticules or cute with the numbers and styles of processors, but try to be realistic for the type and style of machines you plan to build and sell. Treat it kinda like buying a used car. The sales rep isn't going to give you an instant answer until the numbers have been run and will probably come back with a counter offer. After all the deal does not want to be lost to a competitor.

Then repeat the process with each of your other vendors. At least you will get lots of free lunches. :roll:

Now you have enough materials to build 100K machines in varying styles and quality. Most manufactures will allow you payments and receipt of the products over a 90 day period. Can you keep this going and prove that you can sell the 100K machines to repeat the process and maintain cash flow, pay workers, overhead and etc.?

Perhaps the answer lies in, what kind of deal did you make with Wal-Mart, Costco and Sears (K-Mart) and what did you calculate your profits to be after expenses? We can only hope you weren't stupid enough to try to sell both Wal-Mart, Costco and Sears the same machine so that consumers could figure out what they are doing.

wrath
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby wrath » 27 Feb 2007 21:26

I think the secret is in mass production... Take ATARI for example . They used to buy chips for 2 $ program them and then sell video games for 99 $ 99 c now that's a deal right ? This is the way money is made... Do you actually think your Conroe processor is worth the 400-500 $ ? i mean production cost ...

wrath
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby wrath » 02 Mar 2007 21:29

I noticed than buying computer parts online saves you a lot of time and you can get them at better prices. I believe certain improvements can be made this way. Having a lot of dealers means getting Pc's at lower prices. And with the latest in computer technology prices should go down i guess.

wrath
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby wrath » 05 Mar 2007 23:24

Finally some VoIP news ! I heard that they want to implement VoIP in the new linux distros. I think this is pretty nice after all this is the future in communication isn't it ?For more info check yourself VoIP news. Now Microsoft will have to drop prices a little to make windows more attractive.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”