Audio in converted video is messed up

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Keboose
New Cone
New Cone

Audio in converted video is messed up

Postby Keboose » 18 May 2013 05:19

I've had this problem for years now, but it's never been a big deal until now. I want to convert some videos so that they can be played on my xbox, but the audio in the converted version of all my videos is strange.

Here is a sample of a video.
Here is the same sample put through VLC to make it xbox 'compatible.'

I say compatible because someone made a nice .bat file that I can just drag a video into to automatically start converting it. It has a single line that reads:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc" -vvv %1 --sout-ffmpeg-qscale 1 :sout=#transcode{vcodec=WMV2,scale=1,acodec=wma,ab=96,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=asf,dst=%1.wmv}}
Again, these are settings specific for me to play on the Xbox 360, but this problem isn't specific to these settings, it happens no matter the settings I use.

So, to put it simply, wat do?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Audio in converted video is messed up

Postby Lotesdelere » 18 May 2013 12:52

Please upload a short sample of the original converted file to EmbedUpload.com, so it will upload the file for you to several other hosts and then post the link to the file here.

Cut it with DGsplit and read here about how to do it:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=57724&p=193335#p193335
50 MB max will be enough.

What is your OS ?

Keboose
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Keboose » 18 May 2013 15:57

I posted them on youtube in my original post... Can you not see them? are they restricted or something? They're both only 20 seconds long, and both are less than 50mb.

I'm running on Windows 7 64-bit.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 18 May 2013 16:43

I want a sample of the original converted file, the ASF one with Windows Media audio in it, according to your command line arguments vcodec=WMV2 acodec=wma mux=asf, and not another transcoded Youtube video which is using MPEG-4 audio and video streams.

Meanwhile, you can also try a nightly build.

Keboose
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Keboose » 18 May 2013 19:33

Right, sorry, I forgot that youtube converts it to mp4 or whatever. Here is the converted sample.
As for the nightly builds, I don't think my situation would change, seeing as how I've had this problem for years, spanning several major updates.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 19 May 2013 07:56

OK, now what format is the source file ? Does it happen with any source file or just one specific format ?
I need to be able to reproduce the issue.

Keboose
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Keboose » 19 May 2013 23:10

I'll one-up you and get you the actual source file. It's an mp4 file, that would probably play on my xbox, but I'm using it as an example.

As far as I know, this issue is independent of the source file. It's happened with every file I've tried.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 20 May 2013 09:58

Yes, confirmed, I can reproduce the issue. Not only the sound itself is crap with a lot of cracks and pops but channels appear to be out of phase.
On a side note, to convert to WMV using the conversion wizard and ASF preset simply crashes VLC whilst the command line is, at least, creating a playable output file.

You should create a new ticket on the VLC Trac with your messages log and the links to your files and to this thread. Don't forget to mention it's a regression since it was working fine in older VLC versions.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”