Playing Back and Scrubbing H264 MPEG4 Files in VLC 2.x

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
agardner
New Cone
New Cone

Playing Back and Scrubbing H264 MPEG4 Files in VLC 2.x

Postby agardner » 07 Aug 2012 00:31

Hi All,

With VLC 1.x we had no problem playing back H264 MPEG4 files captured from security cameras (using the LIVE555 streaming libraries to get the RTSP streams) over an SMB share. We could scrub through at up to 32x playback with smoothly with keyframes from the files rendering back in real time. No compression artifacts, stuck frames, etc.--it just worked.

In VLC 2.x (regardless of platform), the files open, but only display the first frame. The playback bar advances, but the video does not. If we scrub through the video (with the playback bar or just bouncing between 1-32x playback speed), again just the first frame is there.

We took the files off the SMB share onto local SSD, same problem, so not IO performance/latency related.

It seems H264 playback on VLC 2.x is not nearly what it was in 1.x

For now we are still using 1.x branches on different OSes to play back these captured streams. Would be really good if we knew there was some fix coming up stream. Newest 2.x builds do not solve this to our knowledge.

Should we submit bug to VLC's TRAC?

- Aaron

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Playing Back and Scrubbing H264 MPEG4 Files in VLC 2.x

Postby Lotesdelere » 07 Aug 2012 10:51

Try another video output module and/or disable/enable GPU acceleration.
You can also try to enable or disable some video options such as Overlay and/or Hardware YUV -> RGB conversions.

cozzmoau
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cozzmoau » 09 Aug 2012 12:01

Just encountering this issue myself playing back security camera footage. I've tried the suggestions above with no change/fix.

My videos are variable frame rate (increases when motion is detected) and works fine for those parts of the video, but the rest is just a still frame where the frame rate is 1fps.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 10 Aug 2012 11:26

force the threads to 1.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”