VLC no longer plays .part files

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Lea724
New Cone
New Cone

VLC no longer plays .part files

Postby Lea724 » 17 Jul 2012 13:12

I downloaded the latest VLC player yesterday (VLC media player 2.0.2 Twoflower) and found that a feature I really enjoyed in the prior version went missing. When downloading a file, I was able to double click on the .part file and VLC would open it up and let me start viewing what had been downloaded. Since upgrading the player, double clicking the .part file will open VLC, but then nothing happens.

Is there a way to get the newest version to play .part files or do I need to downgrade the version I'm using?

Thanks.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: VLC no longer plays .part files

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 17 Jul 2012 18:59

what version did you have?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Lea724
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Lea724 » 17 Jul 2012 19:53

Unfortunately, I don't know for sure. I suspect it was the version that came immediately before the 2.0.2 version, but ultimately, I don't know.

ms-7
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ms-7 » 19 Jul 2012 15:45

I am pretty sure your and mine problem is same.
i explained our problem in detail here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=102728
my video file (.MKV) is in many parts (.MKV.001, .MKV.002, .MKV.003, ...)
videofile.mkv.001
videofile.mkv.002
videofile.mkv.003

Vlc 1.1.11 plays .MKV.001 file and automatically joins .001 with .002, .003,... if situated in same folder with same name.
but from Vlc 2.0 this function is not Working vlc only picks the first part .001 and when the part ends the video stopped thus not picking .002 and rest of parts.

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 24 Jul 2012 03:24

I downloaded the latest VLC player yesterday (VLC media player 2.0.2 Twoflower) and found that a feature I really enjoyed in the prior version went missing. When downloading a file, I was able to double click on the .part file and VLC would open it up and let me start viewing what had been downloaded. Since upgrading the player, double clicking the .part file will open VLC, but then nothing happens.
Are these *.part files from when e.g. Firefox is downloading a file? I'm using 2.0.3 and seems to work fine (download 2.0.3 from the main website if you want to update).

First try deleting VLC's preferences and cache:
http://wiki.videolan.org/WindowsFAQ#How ... ettings.3F

Then try opening a *.part file. If it still doesn't work what are VLC's messages (go to "Tools >> Messages", set "Verbosity" to "2" then open a *.part file)? What type of file are you downloading?

EDIT: If you are talking about e.g. RAR part files then that's quite a different issue. AFAIK only uncompressed RAR part files will work.

Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

ms-7
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ms-7 » 24 Jul 2012 14:57

in my situation this is not the Firefox Downloading .part file
what i am talking about is .001 , .002 , .003 etc
this is done by splitting big size movie in small size parts which is done by software called HJsplit.

For Example..
this is my video file called mymovie.mkv size is 700mb
then i split the movie into parts using HJsplit of 100mb which makes 7 parts named
mymovie.mkv.001
mymovie.mkv.002
mymovie.mkv.003
mymovie.mkv.004
mymovie.mkv.005
mymovie.mkv.006
mymovie.mkv.007
--------------------------------
VLC 1.1.11 automatically plays the movie (picking all parts) but VLC 2.0 - 2.0.3 not picks the whole movie but only first part (mymovie.mkv.001)

please help me with the problem.

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Arite » 24 Jul 2012 22:16

Appears to be a regression. When the end of the *.001 file is reached:

Code: Select all

mkv warning: EOF mkv warning: cannot get block EOF? main debug: EOF reached main debug: waiting decoder fifos to empty main debug: waiting decoder fifos to empty main debug: waiting decoder fifos to empty main debug: waiting decoder fifos to empty main debug: waiting decoder fifos to empty main debug: waiting decoder fifos to empty main debug: waiting decoder fifos to empty main debug: waiting decoder fifos to empty main debug: waiting decoder fifos to empty main debug: waiting decoder fifos to empty main debug: waiting decoder fifos to empty audioscrobbler debug: Not an audio-only input, not submitting main debug: removing module "avcodec" main debug: finished input avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10)) stopped main debug: killing decoder fourcc `h264', 0 PES in FIFO main debug: saving a free vout main debug: reusing provided vout main debug: removing module "a52" main debug: killing decoder fourcc `a52 ', 0 PES in FIFO main debug: removing module "a52tofloat32" main debug: removing module "scaletempo" main debug: removing module "samplerate" main debug: removing module "aout_directx" aout_directx debug: closing audio device aout_directx debug: DirectSoundThread exiting main debug: removing module "audio_format" main debug: removing module "float32_mixer" main debug: releasing audio output main debug: removing module "mkv" main debug: Program doesn't contain anymore ES mkv debug: Stopping the UI Hook main debug: removing module "stream_filter_record" main debug: removing module "filesystem" main debug: dead input main debug: changing item without a request (current 0/1) main debug: nothing to play main debug: destroying useless vout main debug: removing module "direct3d" direct3d debug: Direct3D scene released successfully qt4 debug: IM: Deleting the input main debug: TIMER input launching for 'Community.S03E08.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION.mkv.001' : 33.451 ms - Total 33.451 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 33.451 ms) direct3d debug: DirectXEventThread terminating direct3d debug: DirectXCloseWindow direct3d debug: WinProc WM_DESTROY qt4 debug: releasing video... qt4 debug: Video is not needed anymore main debug: removing module "freetype" main debug: removing module "yuvp" main debug: removing module "swscale"
By default it is supposed to automatically add *.002, *.003 etc. to the input list when a *.001 file is opened:
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=co ... e229bc116b

Uncompressed RAR *.part files still work fine with 2.0.3.

Arite.

ms-7
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby ms-7 » 25 Jul 2012 02:59

Now you understand the problem!
please i want the solution for non-rar .part (.002,.003...) files if it can be on this version or else please fix the problem in next version.
Thanks!!

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Arite » 26 Jul 2012 00:43

I've created a trac ticket:
https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/7226

Arite.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 05 Dec 2012 23:53

Fixed for 2.1.0
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”