Multiple audio/video tracks and subtitles on skinned VLC 2.0

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
SavageNoble
New Cone
New Cone

Multiple audio/video tracks and subtitles on skinned VLC 2.0

Postby SavageNoble » 21 Feb 2012 04:43

Hi,

I just updated to VLC 2.0 and have noticed that, when using a skin, I no longer have the "Video", "Audio", or "Subtitles" context menus when right clicking. Since most skins remove VLC's menu bar this makes watching a video with multiple audio, video, or subtitle files impossible, unless I switch back to the default VLC skin. Is there any possible way for me to fix this? Or maybe this a problem with skins themselves, or bug with VLC 2.0?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Multiple audio/video tracks and subtitles on skinned VLC

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 21 Feb 2012 12:25

Works for me, when I click on the video. OS?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

erwan10
Developer
Developer

Postby erwan10 » 21 Feb 2012 17:36

Actually, good catch. There is indeed a bug for both window and linux, in vlc2.x and probably also in previous versions.

The reason is that the "main input manager" is initialized with input set to NULL.

On qt4, this singleton is created when the qt4 "main interface" is created. So chances are that no input is launched yet. Still the design makes it possible for an input to be started before the interface is fully initialized (the case when a file is provided at the command line is such a case if I recall correctly). I would say the bug exists with qt4 but it is hardly ever noticed.

On skins2, this singleton is created on first use, i.e the first time the user right clicks to access the popupmenu. And indeed, the first playback doesn't display these video/audio/subttiles menus, since the input was launched prior to the singleton creation. As soon as a second input is started, the bug disappears, since the singleton then lives till the end of the vlc instance.

SavageNoble
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SavageNoble » 22 Feb 2012 04:10

Actually, good catch. There is indeed a bug for both window and linux, in vlc2.x and probably also in previous versions.

The reason is that the "main input manager" is initialized with input set to NULL.

On qt4, this singleton is created when the qt4 "main interface" is created. So chances are that no input is launched yet. Still the design makes it possible for an input to be started before the interface is fully initialized (the case when a file is provided at the command line is such a case if I recall correctly). I would say the bug exists with qt4 but it is hardly ever noticed.

On skins2, this singleton is created on first use, i.e the first time the user right clicks to access the popupmenu. And indeed, the first playback doesn't display these video/audio/subttiles menus, since the input was launched prior to the singleton creation. As soon as a second input is started, the bug disappears, since the singleton then lives till the end of the vlc instance.
Basically you're saying to avoid this bug I have to open VLC, then open the video file using VLC instead of just double clicking on the file itself to open VLC? I've just tested this, and opening files by this method does fix my problem. Will this bug be fixed in future released of VLC? I can verify that it was not present (for me at least) in VLC 1.1.11 on Windows 7.

Thank you very much for the help. :)

erwan10
Developer
Developer

Postby erwan10 » 22 Feb 2012 09:44

A fix was committed yesterday. And nightly builds (http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win32/) are available for more testing if you feel so.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”