What happened to axvlc.cab?!

All you've ever wanted to know about the ActiveX, Mozilla plugins, the web interface and various PHP extensions
magic
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: What happened to axvlc.cab?!

Postby magic » 27 Mar 2012 03:28

From what Jean-Baptiste said, it sounded more like a matter of having time than money, didn't it?

The idea of the restricted donations doesn't sound bad in principle ... if it's a matter of money.

thomassimonsen
New Cone
New Cone

Postby thomassimonsen » 27 Mar 2012 04:16

A restricted donation could be a solution. I'm also ready for that.

mysoogal
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mysoogal » 29 Apr 2012 15:14

just reading this makes me extremely angry
1 Year $499
2 Year $895
Save over $100
3 Year $1295
Save over $200
:evil: even Mozilla is acting like this, why Are Plug-ins not signed by Mozilla Foundation ????? they are making millions of Google search but every freaking plug-in is " author not verified " :evil:

i found this one, http://www.instantssl.com/ the cheapest, £45 Per year, we should start a donation, to sign this stupid cab for the next 100 years. :evil:

I found FREE from Poland for open source

http://www.certum.eu/certum/cert,offer_code_signing.xml

http://www.certum.eu/certum/cert,offer_ ... rce_cs.xml

come on guys sign it already :mrgreen:

here is a guys experience with this CERT provide

http://pete.akeo.ie/2011/11/free-code-s ... -open.html

magic
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby magic » 02 Sep 2012 06:01

It's been quite a while and I was wondering if there are any updates on providing the axvlc.cab at all.

Thanks.

frankpc
New Cone
New Cone

current status of the axvlc.cab

Postby frankpc » 04 Jan 2013 20:39

The VLC plugin works great. Unfortunately it has to be installed along with the full VLC player package. If the player is embedded in your website, a person using a PC without the VLC player installed is unlikely to install the full package just to view webpage content.

Since there is so much older information about the VLC plugin on the web, several days of research were required to realize the aforementioned is the current status.

While people have suggested they would write a cab for the plugin, that hasn't happened. I looked into that possibility to some extent, however it appears to be a very complicated process. I don't believe it would have to be an officially verified app to be useable.

There appears to be no beneficial answer to this issue. I don't know of another frameless/sizable & seemingly transparent embedded application that will allow viewing of an rtsp video stream, which is something VLC does very well.

Thanks

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 05 Jan 2013 08:07

It will come back after the current crash is fixed.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

RSATom
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: Windows/Linux/OsX

Re: current status of the axvlc.cab

Postby RSATom » 06 Jan 2013 04:04

There appears to be no beneficial answer to this issue. I don't know of another frameless/sizable & seemingly transparent embedded application that will allow viewing of an rtsp video stream, which is something VLC does very well.
You can try http://code.google.com/p/fbvlc/
It's based on libvlc and have simple installer on windows.

frankpc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby frankpc » 07 Jan 2013 03:13

It will come back after the current crash is fixed.
Looking forward to that! So evidently, the cab file has been written for VLC version 2.0.x and will be available. Great news!

You can try http://code.google.com/p/fbvlc/
It's based on libvlc and have simple installer on windows.
I am looking for a way to display live video streams from network cameras sending rtsp. VLC does that well. However, I haven't been able to get fbvlc to connect to the rtsp URL.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Frank

RSATom
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby RSATom » 07 Jan 2013 04:18

I am looking for a way to display live video streams from network cameras sending rtsp. VLC does that well. However, I haven't been able to get fbvlc to connect to the rtsp URL.
Hm... It should work. Can you give me some link?

frankpc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby frankpc » 07 Jan 2013 16:03

RSAT, Thank you for the help!

I would like to PM you the link if that is OK with you.

But three questions regarding the use of fbvlc:

What I have tried to do is to paste the rtsp link into the MRL window provided in the sample htm file provided on the site. Is that the proper test to make?

Also, if the viewing PC does not have the plugin for fbvlc, will the viewer be prompted for an upload?

Finally, is there any chance the resulting video can be displayed on Apple devices including the iPad and the Mac?

Again, thank you for your time and attention to this issue,

Frank

RSATom
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby RSATom » 08 Jan 2013 06:38

RSAT, Thank you for the help!

I would like to PM you the link if that is OK with you.
It's OK.
But three questions regarding the use of fbvlc:

What I have tried to do is to paste the rtsp link into the MRL window provided in the sample htm file provided on the site. Is that the proper test to make?
Yes, but you should remove "file:///" from edit box.
Also, if the viewing PC does not have the plugin for fbvlc, will the viewer be prompted for an upload?
Unfortunally no, user should download installer and install it. I've try to do .cab for it, but didn't find reliable way (at least without signing).
Finally, is there any chance the resulting video can be displayed on Apple devices including the iPad and the Mac?
Browsers on iOs does not support plugins at all, so it's impossible. But for mac there are experimental fbvlc, unfortunally without installer yet, but I plan to add installer if it will be interesting to someone.

frankpc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby frankpc » 08 Jan 2013 19:22

Thank you for that detailed reply RSAT!

You were correct. It does play. The rtsp stream is from a friend's camera and it required a user id and password. Last night he eliminated that requrement. The stream plays fine.

I appreciate your answers to my questions. I learned from them.

You mentioned you attempted to write a cab. The signing you speak of is the process whereby fees are required? And if you do not pay the fee, the user has no way to implement the installer? I was assuming that an install without the paid verification is similar to a program installer where you are prompted to install the application even though it "has not been verified". Perhaps this is something different.

Very unfortunate about the iPad not accepting plugins. I assume that applies to the iPhone as well, and other mobile devices most likely. In this day and age, having access to video feeds while traveling is a invaluable feature. I tried to use QuickTime to encode the rtsp feed. While I could view the result on a PC, I was surprised to find it did not work on the iPad.

Thanks again! I really appreciate your comments.

Frank

RSATom
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby RSATom » 09 Jan 2013 01:56

You mentioned you attempted to write a cab. The signing you speak of is the process whereby fees are required? And if you do not pay the fee, the user has no way to implement the installer? I was assuming that an install without the paid verification is similar to a program installer where you are prompted to install the application even though it "has not been verified". Perhaps this is something different.
I just didn't find the way to make .cab which installs well (I've try some different ways), I don't know what was the reason - lack of signing or lack of my knowledge.
Very unfortunate about the iPad not accepting plugins. I assume that applies to the iPhone as well, and other mobile devices most likely. In this day and age, having access to video feeds while traveling is a invaluable feature. I tried to use QuickTime to encode the rtsp feed. While I could view the result on a PC, I was surprised to find it did not work on the iPad.
Maybe some application for rtsp exsists in App Store?

rgkluver
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rgkluver » 30 Jan 2013 00:15

Has anyone attempted to build the .cab yet using that old set of instructions? It does not look that hard. Before I get started and see I can do it, would not want to waste anyone's time (including my own) if an official developer for VLC is already working on a solution. I am preparing to use VLC in a very large project and having IE support is essential. I need the process to be pretty much automatic, where IE asks if you want to install the plugin and then does so.

I am also having some other issues using the dll plugin from the 2.05 install with asian translation of the plugin name and version, making it look like jibberish to many of us. IE is also registering listener events but doing absolutely nothing when they should be firing. I have to wonder if that is related to this whole, in my opinon, completely fubar'd IE support.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 06 Feb 2013 17:26

Has anyone attempted to build the .cab yet using that old set of instructions? It does not look that hard. Before I get started and see I can do it, would not want to waste anyone's time (including my own) if an official developer for VLC is already working on a solution. I am preparing to use VLC in a very large project and having IE support is essential. I need the process to be pretty much automatic, where IE asks if you want to install the plugin and then does so.
The old set of instructions will not work, but yes, I will look at it. Since we rewrote a lot of the code lately (see latest code, that will be shipped for 2.0.6).
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

rgkluver
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rgkluver » 19 Feb 2013 03:36

I was able to build a new cab file and it works for installation BUT of course it lacks the security credentials at this point. I have been looking around for a low cost way of getting it signed, and I can host the cab file if need be, but wondering if it would be better that we do this officially via the Videolan site? Is it legal for me to get the cab signed on my own, hosted on my site?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 19 Feb 2013 05:18

I was able to build a new cab file and it works for installation BUT of course it lacks the security credentials at this point. I have been looking around for a low cost way of getting it signed, and I can host the cab file if need be, but wondering if it would be better that we do this officially via the Videolan site? Is it legal for me to get the cab signed on my own, hosted on my site?
How did you build it, btw?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

rullbandspelare
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rullbandspelare » 25 Mar 2014 11:18

http://www.pixelsplasher.com/_downloads ... cabsdk.exe
install and follow instructions here https://wiki.videolan.org/ActiveX/
for example
C:\cab\BIN>CABARC.EXE N axvlc.cab axvlc.inf vlc-2.1.3-win32.exe

This creates an unsigned cab. I have trieed to install it by making the site a part of the trusted sites in IE. But it is blocked!

We need to sign it!

jmundo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jmundo » 06 Sep 2014 22:26

What is the latest status on this?

Is there anyway will we be able embed Activex on a webpage again?

Thanks much!

Return to “Web and scripting”