VLC 1.6 and 1.7 *.txt subtitles problem

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Vinthar
New Cone
New Cone

VLC 1.6 and 1.7 *.txt subtitles problem

Postby Vinthar » 02 Feb 2011 22:18

Win Vista 32 bit. VLC 1.6 and 1.7 problem.
Subtitles in txt format are not displayed at all :( (srt format seems to work just fine, but I am to lazzy to convert) I had to back to 1.5. I love VLC - greatest plater out there but this bug is really anoying, when I noticed problem with 1.6 I didnt care much, hoped it will be fixed in 1.7... but 1.7 is out and bug is still here. Fix it, pretty please.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: VLC 1.6 and 1.7 *.txt subtitles problem

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 03 Feb 2011 09:39

Some people said playing txt files automatically was annoying because they had unrelated txt files in their folders. We cannot satisfy both camps.

And truth be told, using txt for subs is kinda stupid. subtitles are not really plain text.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

HermeZ
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 1.1.7
Operating System: Win 7 Pro

Postby HermeZ » 03 Feb 2011 10:27

So maybe adding checkbox to allow autoload of txt files would be the best option? And autoloading text files with same name as video file?
In 1.1.7 I can't open txt files even manually.
And truth be told, convertig hundreds of subtitles are not an option here (no matter having txt subtitles is stupid or not). So please reconsider your decision.
Have a Nice Day :)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 03 Feb 2011 16:56

So maybe adding checkbox to allow autoload of txt files would be the best option? And autoloading text files with same name as video file?
Maybe yes.
In 1.1.7 I can't open txt files even manually.
This isn't normal.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Vinthar
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Vinthar » 03 Feb 2011 18:10

Some people said playing txt files automatically was annoying because they had unrelated txt files in their folders. We cannot satisfy both camps.

And truth be told, using txt for subs is kinda stupid. subtitles are not really plain text.
Well... cant imagine why anyone would keep unrelated txt with the same name as movie file at same folder as movie at file with the same name as video file... but hell, people are strange sometimes.

I am not sure - but I think "our camp" - ppl who would like autoload txt subtitles files is bigger.

Anyway - checkbox would be perfect solution to satysfi both camps!

Kosashi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Kosashi » 07 Feb 2011 21:40

I confirm - I was very surprised that not only my .txt subtitles (I was never concerned what format they're in, so I don't rename them) aren't autoloaded... and they cannot be even loaded manually. What's more, dragging and dropping .txt to the movie aparrently tried to load the .txt file as a movie, which resulted in a cryptic error message about "undf" not being supported! I basically had to guess what's the real problem. The error message in such case shall be changed to something legible like "couldn't recognize the video format of file XYZ".

I had to revert back to 1.1.5 to be able to use the .txt subtitles at all. I'm surprised that such thing made it through to the release version..

solazy
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 1.1.11
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Postby solazy » 07 Feb 2011 23:03

Hi all,
Well...I never have problems with subtitles because all subtitles I got are ".srt" files
The question I would like to ask is : what do you see when you open your ".txt" subtitles files with Notepad ?

If you find something like this in your ".txt" subtitle file :
00:02:25,200 --> 00:02:26,667
Can I help you?

00:02:27,802 --> 00:02:31,329
They told me to take a
streetcar named Desire...

00:02:31,539 --> 00:02:34,064
...then transfer to one
called Cemeteries...

Then those ".txt" files can easily be renamed as ".srt" files on your hard drive and you won't have any issue.
Of course, if you already burned those movies on DVD's , with subtitles having a ".txt" extension then it won't solve anything.

Although, using Vlc 1.1.7 , I just succeeded in a test, opening a movie and its ".txt" subtitle (in fact this ".txt" subtitle is one of my ".srt" file that I temporarily renamed ".txt"), but this test didn't work directly from Windows Explorer.
Here is what I did :

* Launch Vlc
* Menu Media => Advanced Open File
* Add the movie
* Add the ".txt" subtitle file
* Play

And all goes fine, the ".txt" subtitle opens nicely.
Sure it's less user friendly than double clicking on the movie name in Windows Explorer and have everything open automatically (movie + ".txt" subtitle file) but well...that's all I found to help you solve this (temporary ?) issue :)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 07 Feb 2011 23:50

I will find a way for getting this .txt autodectetion back
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

UglyKidJoel
New Cone
New Cone

Postby UglyKidJoel » 05 Mar 2011 19:54

I know this isn't what you meant ( Jean-Baptiste Kempf ) but the only way I got mine to work is un-installing the update
and re-installing an old version. In my case its the only one I had was 1.1.0 but it's back to working the good old fashioned way.
:D :mrgreen: :D

MacEachaidh
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MacEachaidh » 13 Mar 2011 16:36

I'll add my vote to being happy the new version of VLC *doesn't* open .txt files automatically. I'm sure the change was in response to a lot of requests, so I'm doubtful of the validity of claims that those who save subtitles as .txt files are in the majority.

In my case, I keep info files in .txt format with the relevant video files to give details of cast, order of broadcast, all that stuff. A lot of people keep these as .nfo files, but having them as .txt is far simpler - just double-click and they open in Notepad. No file association conflicts.

But surely, for a .txt file to work as subtitles, it has to be a .srt file just renamed as .txt anyway? To those who have subtitles saved in .txt files, why not simply name them as .srt, and then the one solution works for everyone?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 13 Mar 2011 17:36

@MacEachaidh: VLC 1.1.7 solves this issue elegantly. It tries to open .txt files but doesn't complain if they aren't subtitles.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 13 Mar 2011 17:36

I know this isn't what you meant ( Jean-Baptiste Kempf ) but the only way I got mine to work is un-installing the update
and re-installing an old version. In my case its the only one I had was 1.1.0 but it's back to working the good old fashioned way.
:D :mrgreen: :D
1.1.7 works fine.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”