wma format

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
simplefella
New Cone
New Cone

wma format

Postby simplefella » 08 Oct 2009 19:26

my last version of vlc would not play my wma files held on computer hard disc - nor will latest version. I see this same query has been made before but I can't trace a solution. Is there one?

vegita625
New Cone
New Cone

Re: wma format

Postby vegita625 » 09 Oct 2009 02:49

As of VLC 1.0.2, some wma files don't work for me either. I don't remember the last time they all did work, but WMA files did work for me at one point in time, I think they had still worked at 1.0.0, but I'm not certain.

I should mention that I'm using Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 3.

The ones that don't work, when I say they don't work, I mean I can open them, but they're silent in VLC (no audio plays). I've played the exact same files in Windows Media Player, and they work perfectly there, so the files are good. The files are normal WMA files, as well, we're not talking about streaming or login/authorization required or anything, normal, everyday WMA files.

File information from one file that does NOT work by right clicking and selecting Information in the playlist:
Stream 0
Type: Audio
Codec: wmap
Channels: 2
Sample Rate: 48000 Hz
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 440 kb/s

Now I said that SOME don't work. I have multiple wma files that are from ripping from a CD via Windows Media Player, and they DO work. Here's the information from a working wma file:
Stream 0
Type: Audio
Codec: wma2
Channels: Stereo
Sample Rate: 44100 Hz
Bits per sample: 16
(some of the working files also said Bitrate: 128kb/s, others didn't mention Bitrate)

Is it the codec? wmap vs. wma2?
Could it be the channels? 2 vs. Stereo?
I would highly doubt the "sample rate" or "bits per sample" being related to this issue, but it is a real issue.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 09 Oct 2009 11:37

This might have been solved in the latest nightly build. Please give it a try and report the result here.

Download the most recent Branch version (not Trunk) from there:
http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win32/?C=M;O=D

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 09 Oct 2009 11:49

wmap support should get better at least with 1.1.0 release.
http://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/v ... 67485.html

vegita625
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vegita625 » 09 Oct 2009 20:13

Well, the latest nightly build, suggested by Lotesdelere above works fine with wmap codec files. If I find other files with a similar audio problem, I'll report it.

To VLC_help... I see a link to a portion of source code in your post... but while I might sound ignorant for saying such, I have no idea where an installer for 1.1.0 is, and I don't know where that source code would go if we're expected to put it in ourselves to update to 1.1.0. If you're going to suggest installing a different version, please give an idea where the installer for that different version is? Doesn't matter, though, Lotesdelere's suggestion worked, and I would guess that 1.1.0 has a similar solution in its code.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 10 Oct 2009 17:15

Trunks in nightlies are 1.1.0 but the fix was also backported to 1.0.3

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 14 Oct 2009 14:21

Well, the latest nightly build, suggested by Lotesdelere above works fine with wmap codec files. If I find other files with a similar audio problem, I'll report it.

To VLC_help... I see a link to a portion of source code in your post... but while I might sound ignorant for saying such, I have no idea where an installer for 1.1.0 is, and I don't know where that source code would go if we're expected to put it in ourselves to update to 1.1.0. If you're going to suggest installing a different version, please give an idea where the installer for that different version is? Doesn't matter, though, Lotesdelere's suggestion worked, and I would guess that 1.1.0 has a similar solution in its code.
CAn you state which version exactly did you use that fixed it?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

vegita625
New Cone
New Cone

Postby vegita625 » 14 Oct 2009 23:57

At the time of the post, the version I got was 1.0.3-git-20091009-0007 Goldeneye. I have no doubt that any nightly build after this point would have the fix.

VLC_Help replied to a PM I had sent earlier asking where to find "Trunks in Nighties" and I was sent this: http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win32/?C=M;O=D and told to check the latest Trunks, and that those are builds of "Nighties," thus "Trunks in Nighties." I was lost on what VLC_Help was talking about until I got that PM. I still never tested any of the Trunks here, but I was told that the fix in 1.0.3's builds was taken from 1.1.0's builds... so logically, 1.1.0 should be fine (aka Trunks in "Nighties"), as well.

So it's up to you, the latest nightly build of 1.0.3 (see Lotesdelere's reply above) or the latest "Trunks" from the link in this post for 1.1.0 Nighties.

relun
New Cone
New Cone

Postby relun » 06 Nov 2009 21:31

Just installed 1.0.3 Goldeneye. WMA still has no audio, just playing indicated by the progress bar. File is wma lossless, OS is winxp sr3

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 07 Nov 2009 17:09

The FFmpeg project has reverse-engineered and re-implemented the WMA codecs (except WMA Lossless and WMA Voice)
So WMA Lossless support isn't going to happen via FFmpeg.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 08 Nov 2009 21:33

Can you share a sample?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”