keeping player open after vid clip ends

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
seanvt
New Cone
New Cone

keeping player open after vid clip ends

Postby seanvt » 18 Jul 2009 22:20

Hi, thanks for VLC first of all, an indispensable app for so many, and a shining star of open source.

I wish the player wouldn't fold itself back up after a video clip is played. I wish it would stay open to the size of the video that was just played. I remember reading some thread about this a while back, and the reply was that it would happen in Version 1. It looks like it hasn't happened.

Here's my real-world user reason for wanting this: I have some little clips in flv format that are guitar playing how-to videos. I use them when practicing guitar and trying to learn songs. They are kind of small so I zoom it to double size. I watch it, I practice, and I watch it again. But each time the video is over, the player shrinks down to its default compact no-screen state. When I press play again to watch the video, it's back to 100% size and I have to fiddle around to get it back to double size, while the video is playing and I have a guitar on my lap.

I was hoping I could change the Windows file association for flv files from RealPlayer to VLC with this version, but I guess I can't. A small matter when you think of how many times VLC has saved the day by being able to play anything and everything. But it's small things like that that stick in a user's craw. Please let the video window stay open until I play a different file or shut down the player.

erwan10
Developer
Developer

Re: keeping player open after vid clip ends

Postby erwan10 » 18 Jul 2009 22:36

In Preferences(first panel), uncheck "Resize interface to video"

You can then resize vlc as you like, and the video will respect your choice.

Erwan10

PeteDeLago
New Cone
New Cone

Postby PeteDeLago » 18 Jul 2009 23:54

Tried your solution with version 1.0, and even after changing Preferences as you suggest and restarting VLC, at the end of each video selection the player reverts to the default minimum instead of staying at the size I selected (fullscreen) for the video while it was playing.

seanvt
New Cone
New Cone

Postby seanvt » 19 Jul 2009 01:05

Tried your solution with version 1.0, and even after changing Preferences as you suggest and restarting VLC, at the end of each video selection the player reverts to the default minimum instead of staying at the size I selected (fullscreen) for the video while it was playing.
Yup.

Erwan10 - I'm looking for the player to not fold itself up into its minimal state after a video ends, or after pressing stop.

erwan10
Developer
Developer

Postby erwan10 » 19 Jul 2009 10:13

Okay, two things to do (both in the first panel of preferences) :
- select "Complete" in "display mode"
- uncheck "Resize interface to video size"

With these settings, vlc don't resize at all.

Erwan10

zozizozu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby zozizozu » 02 Aug 2009 11:57

Hi, and first thanks to all ,
I have the same trouble, but erwan10's solution don't change nothing.
Does it works for you seanvt ?, if yes, there may have something else to do in config ...
Regards

ps: I have the same trouble with linux and mac, so maybe this post have to move ....

cybmole
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby cybmole » 05 Aug 2009 10:26

Here's my real-world user reason for wanting this: I have some little clips in flv format that are guitar playing how-to videos. I use them when practicing guitar and trying to learn songs. They are kind of small so I zoom it to double size. I watch it, I practice, and I watch it again. But each time the video is over, the player shrinks down to its default compact no-screen state. When I press play again to watch the video, it's back to 100% size and I have to fiddle around to get it back to double size, while the video is playing and I have a guitar on my lap.

HI, I'm a guitar teacher -
I can suggest a couple of workarounds -
1. I have a cyberlink remote control and reprogram the VLC hotkeys to number keys whcih the remote can generate. then I can restart / resize the video by pressing number keys on the remote. This works also with the official microsoft remote control. I did look one time for a foot operated remote to use while holding a guitar! but no luck .
you can go frame by frame with the remote by changing the default "e" hotkey to something that the remote can generate.

2. a small wireless keyboard or a combined keyboard+touchpad is another option - you can place it on a chair next to where you sit with your guitar & control VLC with that

3. use the A_B loop function in advanced controls. then the video will continually loop-play between points A & B at your chosen zoom setting.

zozizozu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

[CLOSED (for me)]Re: keeping player open after vid clip ends

Postby zozizozu » 12 Aug 2009 17:45

Hi, i had an answer on the mailing list, this can help :
This happens if the video have distinct decoded formats, such as different
resolution or chroma coding. Otherwise, I have no problem (Linux here).

-- Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/
Thanks again to all

zozizozu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby zozizozu » 06 Sep 2009 09:04

Hi, and sorry to re-new this post, but this trouble happen again :

I've tried with 2 flv videos and fullscreen was correctly staying on while changing tracks.
But now, it doesn't work anymore. After reset and change config (cf erwan10 post) I thought it was due to an update so i downgrade to vlc 1.0 (instead of 1.0.1), but it changes nothing.

I don't have any clue on this, so if you heard about , please help ...

Regards

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”