Media keys and VLC

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.x
Operating System: MacOS X

Media keys and VLC

Postby ajmas » 08 Apr 2009 22:39

I have been trying to assign the media keys on my keyboard for use with VLC (tried 0.9.9 and some of the latest nightlies for 0.9.10 and 1.0.0-pre1) and while the settings recognise that I set them, assigning values such as 'media prev track' and 'media next track', the interface does not seem to react to them. As a test case:

- take 0.9.9
- open the settings and set the short-cuts for previous and next to correspond to the 'media prev' and ' media next' keys (apply and save)
- place some media files into the play list and start playing
- try using those keys to jump previous and next

The result is that the track continues playing as if those keys were never pressed.

Have tested with a Dell keyboard, but I have someone else who is seeing the same issue with the G11 Keyboard.

Edit: corrected typing
Last edited by ajmas on 08 Apr 2009 22:56, edited 1 time in total.
Providing logs, messages, configuration info (VLC, OS, Hardware) and a clear explanation of the issue always helps the problem solvers help you, even if they don't end up solving the issue. Just think what you would need if you were solving someone else's problem. Additional: Always looking for eager and capable MacOS X developers to join the VLC team - for more information see here.

Quatroking
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Media keys and VLC

Postby Quatroking » 08 Apr 2009 22:45

but I have someone else who is seeing the same issue with the G11 Keyboard.
That would be me. I've brought up the subject in the IRC as I can't use my G11's media keys, while VLC enlists them as Media Next Track, Media Prev Track, Media Play Pause and Media Stop. I'd really like to know if its possible to use the keys, since they do work in WMM and WinAmp.

Any help is much appriciated!

Edit: I just tried a Trust keyboard with media keys, and that one didn't work either.

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.x
Operating System: MacOS X

Postby ajmas » 08 Apr 2009 23:03

I have opened a ticket to track the issue, since I couldn't see any open tickets covering this problem:

https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/2647
Providing logs, messages, configuration info (VLC, OS, Hardware) and a clear explanation of the issue always helps the problem solvers help you, even if they don't end up solving the issue. Just think what you would need if you were solving someone else's problem. Additional: Always looking for eager and capable MacOS X developers to join the VLC team - for more information see here.

Quatroking
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Quatroking » 07 May 2009 16:09

Sorry for the enormous bump, but I just tried the same thing in Ubuntu 8.0.4.2 64-Bit Desktop edition, and it didn't work there either, so its not really windows-specific anymore.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 07 May 2009 16:17

No media keyboard on my linux...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”