Won't open .wmv files

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
RedDog3
New Cone
New Cone

Won't open .wmv files

Postby RedDog3 » 23 Jan 2009 17:40

I'm using VLC v 0.9.2 and cannot open any .wmv files sent to me. Every other media types work fine.
Any suggestions?

RD3

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Won't open .wmv files

Postby VLC_help » 23 Jan 2009 22:30

Any error messages? Sample file you could share to us?

RedDog3
New Cone
New Cone

Postby RedDog3 » 24 Jan 2009 15:30

When I try to open it, this flag appears: "This file does not have an program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folders Option (in the) Control Panel."

I went into the Control Panel, opened the Folders Option, and the .wmv files ARE associated with VLC. I changed the setting, reset it to VLC, rebooted, and still can't play any .wmv file with VLC. Actually, since I loaded VLC, it has positioned itself as the prime program for opening various files, but .wmv files are the only ones I'm having problems opening with.

Right now, the only way I can get around this is to unload VLC v 0.9.2. I had an older version that didn't give me this problem, but for some stupid reason thought I should be upgrading to get the best version. If I could just go back...........

RedDog3
New Cone
New Cone

Postby RedDog3 » 24 Jan 2009 15:39

Ooops. Something strange happened. I downloaded a .wmv file into my Temp folder, and I was then able to open it. However, I still cannot open this same file when it's an 'attachment' to an email. I'm still using OE6, but don't think this should matter.

Anyone have any ideas?
RD3

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 24 Jan 2009 19:07

kins
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kins » 16 Mar 2009 20:42

Please don't try to pass the problem on the Outlook express when the problem is clearly with the VlC Player. When opening an .wmv(windows media video)file within Outlook express, it does not work correctly after Vlc player is installed and and associated with that type of file. Without VLC player installed and associated with .wmv files, the open option works fine within outlook express as .wmv files are associated with Windows Media Player and NOT VLC.

Glenn
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Glenn » 14 Jul 2009 05:01

It is Microsoft's fault. As they typically do, they ignore their own rules and break things as a result.

If you look at the the "File Types" configuration in Explorer by opening the Tools menu, select "Folder Options", then select the "File Types" tab, you'll see the VLC configures the files that it plays with a default option called "Play", instead of Microsoft's default name of "Open". Any properly written software should take the default action, but Outlook Express STUPIDLY looks for Open and dies.

If you rename "Play" to "Open" or make an exact copy of VLC's Play and call it Open for the desired file types, Outlook Express will open the attachments. Assuming the typical installation location, the action contains this information.

Action: Open
Application used to perform action: "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --started-from-file "%1"
Use DDE: checked
DDE Message:
Application: vlc
DDE Application Not Running:
Topic: System

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 14 Jul 2009 07:17

Waouw, thanks for the info. I think we have renamed "Play" to "Open", now, didn't we?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 14 Jul 2009 14:25

I think we have renamed "Play" to "Open", now, didn't we?
Yep. Should be Open in VLC 1.0.0

jshaw42
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jshaw42 » 23 Jul 2009 17:50

If you look at the the "File Types" configuration in Explorer by opening the Tools menu, select "Folder Options", then select the "File Types" tab, you'll see the VLC configures the files that it plays with a default option called "Play", instead of Microsoft's default name of "Open".
Why do I not see a "File Types" tab under "Folder Options" in Vista Home Premium 64 bit?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 24 Jul 2009 14:54

Why do I not see a "File Types" tab under "Folder Options" in Vista Home Premium 64 bit?
Because Vista and Windows 7 doesn't have it anymore. It only exist in Windows XP and earlier.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”