VLC code modifying a DLL to configure options?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
MrB
New Cone
New Cone

VLC code modifying a DLL to configure options?

Postby MrB » 17 Jul 2008 11:28

Hi all.

Not sure if this is quite in the right forum...

I want to find out WHAT system changes are made when you CONFIGURE the DIRECTSHOW VIDEO properties.
i.e, if I go to Preferences > Input / Codecs > Access Modules > DirectShow and click CONFIGURE on Video Device Name, I can change the Video Decoder from NTSC_M to PAL_I.

NO CHANGES are made to the registry or files.

Does anyone know what exactly happens (what the VLC code does to the system) when I change to PAL and click OK/Save? Is a DLL being addressed? Is a service being modified?

Can anyone point me to the specific code areas so that I can examine it?

(This relates to this post)
Thanks.

MrB
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC code modifying a DLL to configure options?

Postby MrB » 17 Jul 2008 13:24

After checking the source code, filter.cpp seems to be referencing the AnalogVideoStandard Enumeration used by directshow.
See lines 158 - 173.

It seems to be here that the COM object is being modified.
Ideally, I would like a C++ program that simply sets the COM object with the correct setting. This could then be placed in the startup folder and change the directshow object to PAL_I for me.

I haven't played with directshow before, so I'm unsure on how to call the setting (whether I change it in the VLC source and recompile, or create a new program to set it "stand-alone"). Can anyone advise on the function that should be used to set it?

Thanks.

jason.stepp
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC code modifying a DLL to configure options?

Postby jason.stepp » 23 Feb 2010 21:45

Here Here...
This issue has plagued me for months. Don't blame it on VLC. It's the lovely MS development folks that won't do anything about it. This forces the end user to possess their own tool or utility to auto-configure the device settings. So far, I have found no such tool, but welcome any comments.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”