Directshow and PAL as default

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
MrB
New Cone
New Cone

Directshow and PAL as default

Postby MrB » 16 Jul 2008 16:30

Hi all,

Been using VLC for a long time, but want to do something new with it and need a bit of help.
Whenever I set PAL_I as my video standard for direct show, this gets reset to NTSC_M at each reboot. I would like it to stay as PAL_I.

Full scenario:
Windows XP (SP3).
I have a video input card (ATI Radeon All-in-wonder 9800).
I am using the composite connection for feeding my VHS/DVD player into the PC.

When I do a reboot (or cold boot) of the PC and start VLC and open the DIrectshow, the video feed is in NTSC_M configuration. As far as I can tell this is default. I would like this to be in PAL_I configuration as default instead.

I can of course change this setting by:
"Open capture device..."
"Advanced Options..."
Check "Device Properties" box
OK > OK

This will then open the PROPERTIES window when starting the stream, where I can hit the VIDEO DECODER tab, and choose the PAL_I option for the "Video Standard" setting. I also have to go through the other settings (Stream format/Audio/Crossbar) although I only have to press OK on these screens.

I would have to change this setting every time, which is a very annoying.
Does anyone know where I can save this setting? Even if I could start VLC with the command line, do some registry hacking, or some file/ini settings I will be happy.

Just for reference, I have tried starting the directshow feed with:
width=352, height=288, chroma=YUY2, fps=25.000000
:but no joy.

I tried saving the DSHOW playlist with the PAL_I settings, but this makes no difference.
I have also tried to do a regmon/filemon to see what VLC is changing when I choose the PAL_I in the properties page, but I can't determine the right area.

I hope someone can help as I really need this to open with PAL_I as default.
Thanks!

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Directshow and PAL as default

Postby VLC_help » 16 Jul 2008 17:45

So VLC doesn't save the settings that you select from device driver settings? Same issue with nightlies?
http://nightlies.videolan.org/

MrB
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MrB » 17 Jul 2008 11:21

No joy with the nightlies - same problem.

It seems to me, after monitoring the system when I change to PAL (or any other configuration) that there is no registry or file changes being made whatsoever. This leads me to believe that a DLL (or such) is being addressed directly and a change made "on the fly". This would also explain why a reboot loses the setting, as the DLL would load again with the regular settings.

What I would now like to know is how VLC changes from NTSC to PAL using hte CONFIGURE options of the DIRECTSHOW VIDEO. What method is used by the code? What does it interact with? I could write a script that does the same thing at system startup.

Further, I would recommend that VLC saves these options in the VLCRC file so that when VLC is loaded next time it makes the change to the DLL accordingly, however I am aware that may take some time to be added - if added at all.

Anyway, I have created a new thread relating to my new question (both in the hope of someone seeing the question who may have read this post, as well as to help others who may be searching on that question topic), as well as adding a feature request in that forum too - I hope you don't mind me posting so much on a similar topic mods! :oops:

Thanks

New Post - VLC code modifying a DLL to configure options?
Feature Request - Save Directshow decoder option (PAL/NTSC)

BackEMF
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BackEMF » 20 Jul 2008 18:35

Hi MrB

I'm having EXACTLY the same difficulty. I just need some way of changing the Capture Device settings to PAL_I - either by default or by passing a command line parameter.

I can do everthing else I need from the command line, but when I restart my PC, as you say, the video format reverts to NTSC...thus leaving me with a non-usable stream...

I hope there is some workaround, or perhaps even a feature addition in the near future!

(I'll keep investigating in the meantime.)

Thanks

Jossnaz
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Jossnaz » 28 Aug 2008 02:08

i got the same problem

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 28 Aug 2008 20:22

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=48316&p=157135&hilit=pal#p157135
it seems there isn't a way to make it work.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”