Smooth repeat for Video Loop

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Aliby
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Smooth repeat for Video Loop

Postby Aliby » 03 Apr 2008 07:31

I use VLC for looping backgrounds on a digital projector in various public forums. It is great for atmosphere before and after (even during) presentations etc. I also use it for moving background using ZionWorx.

I set it to run on \\screen2 and in the play list click on the "repeat one" button for the current video loop.
However, there is a slight delay before the start of the repeat. Even though it is about 0.4 sec it is enough to catch your eye and thus is distracting.

Two questions:
  • 1. Is there a setting to buffer the video clip in memory for faster access and thus no delay? Perhaps a "looping video" option is somewhere I can't find yet?
  • 2. Is there a way to add the "repeat buttons" to the embedded playlist. I can only find them when it is in it's own window.
:?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Smooth repeat for Video Loop

Postby VLC_help » 03 Apr 2008 15:34

You could try to force video window size from Settings -> Preferences and Video (remember to tick advanced options) and adjust Video width and Video height to avoid VLC switching itself when next playlist item starts (I am not 100% about this).

Aliby
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Aliby » 04 Apr 2008 10:37

It's not that VLC closes and then opens the video "screen" - that stays there and its set to full screen.

I have a single video clip in the playlist and have set it to repeat.
It is that when the loop reaches the end and starts again that there is a slight pause and you can see the video stop then carry on.

You can try replicate it by downloading a loop from http://www.movietools.info/.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 05 Apr 2008 10:53

That might be a bit hard to overcome because there isn't repeat between selection option in VLC.

Aliby
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Aliby » 07 Apr 2008 10:34

This seems to imply that the "Repeat" option in VLC is simply a feature of the playlist?

Surely there is a command that can be used to create or simulate a loop by ...
[*] ... adding buffer for the first part of the current file for VLC, or
[*] ... adding a line that forces the "read ahead" to look at the current file.

Without this "enabled" it makes a loop a little embarrassing to use in all forums or events.

I am not well informed as to the command line options in VLC but surely there is a way to do that there?
eg. "in the streaming options are "caching=###" etc.
:?:

Actually if a "read ahead" or buffer can be added to the playlist it will enable seemless video clips to play in an effective stitched manner.
This is a great feature if you want to create AD or News loops and not have to render a contuous movie each time. With read ahead you just sort the order of individual clips and VLC would seemlessly play them with no preload stutter or relay.
8)

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 07 Apr 2008 17:01

You should add feature request and/or trac ticket if you want see this one day in VLC :D

Socks
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Socks » 16 May 2008 16:31

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”