VLC tearing during DVD and AVI playback

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
darkt
New Cone
New Cone

VLC tearing during DVD and AVI playback

Postby darkt » 23 Jan 2008 08:13

im good at most computer things but i suck at video stuff so im sure this is going to sound dumb.

during dvd or avi file playback i get tearing across my screen similar to when i play games and i dont have vsync enabled. i know its the fps going above the refresh rate which mine is 60 for my 24" lcd screen. question is how do i fix this in VLC? directx is enabled ..skip frames etc is enabled ..yuv to rgb is off. ive tried the other outputs as well..all gave me the same clipping. tried dienterlacing with the same issue. it doesnt happen for the "slow" part of the video just the high paced scenes when there's plenty of motion...just seems like the bottom half can't keep up with the top half.

ive had this issue on and off in the past with different computer builds through various reformats etc. some would give me this problem some wouldnt... some it would start after a while and for others it would start right away. unfortunetly i cant pinpoint the culprit. i would like ur guy's input to see whether it IS vlc or if i can move on to say my gfx card or not (i have a sneeking suspision that its giving me hell although ive had other gfx cards and they still gave me this problem). lol also before you say my problem is the drivers i want to know any other reasons that this could be happening before we dive into that area. so lets assume i have all my drivers updated etc.

any help would be appreciated.

amd athlon 64x2 4200+
2 gb g.skillz pc6400 800 ddr2
evga geforce 7600GT KO
WD 80GB IDE HD
Asus m2n mobo nforce chipset
creative sound blaster LIVE! 24bit
(still kicking it with this setup..medium settings ftw)

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: VLC tearing during DVD and AVI playback

Postby VLC_help » 23 Jan 2008 11:43

You have enabled vsync from display adapter control panel?

darkt
New Cone
New Cone

Postby darkt » 27 Jan 2008 06:01

yes i have still to no avail

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 27 Jan 2008 13:44

You tried wtih V-sync enabled and using Direct3D with VLC?

FedEx
New Cone
New Cone

Postby FedEx » 05 Feb 2008 22:35

I too am getting screen tearing using a 10 day old hd3870. (dvd playback)
Rather annoying right across the center of my screen (19" Samsung 932b 5ms lcd)
I have the latest catalyst drivers (8.1)
I have vsync enabled to always on, Ive tried to tweek my settings to get the tearing to disapear, upping the refresh rate to 70, turned on all the goodies, turned them off (AA, Anisotropic) enabled legacy support disabled legacy support... nothing changes.

if the shot in the movie is relatively calm, it doesnt happen, but as soon as theres any fast movement/action - Bam! screen tearing ruining my movie.

c2d e6750, 3gigs ddr2 800, hd3870 (512 ddr4), samsung 932b - digital dvi connection (driver is up to date), catalyst is up to date.

I went in and knocked the windows acelleration down one notch at a time to see if the hardware accelleration was the issue, but there was no change.

ill try disabling write combining, but that requires a restart, and doubt that will be the cause.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 06 Feb 2008 17:01

If you can try Media Player Classic, we could figure is this issue related to VLC only or is it universal problem with video playback. With Direct3D output, VLC should be like a game, so v-sync should work if it is forced from control panel. Also on code level, changing D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD to D3DSWAPEFFECT_COPY in direct3d.c might help (or it might also cause other issues).

FedEx
New Cone
New Cone

Postby FedEx » 11 Feb 2008 05:05

Hi, I just got media player classic (bundled in satsuki decoder pack)and it plays dvd media perfectly crystal clear with no screen tearing....
same dvd on vlc is still tearing (horizontal ripping in the screen).... the other program that ive used to watch dvd video - nero showtime - is all
screwy as well (cannot get the screen resolution, or aspect ratio correct... looks horrible) so ive uninstalled it, maybe a reinstall will remedy it.

also ive deleted and removed the local cache in vlc, uninstalled it (removed cache again) reinstalled it (removed cache again) and still no changes.
my guess is there may be a codec or direct show filter artifacting with the ati catalyst drivers...??? makes no sense that media player classic works fine.
my next headache --> uninstall ati catalyst and drivers, wipe dot net + windows installer 3.0 and reverse my steps in reloading.
... I should know this but i dont :arrow: is vlc built/dependent on dot net 2.0?

the film i used to test :arrow: 28 Weeks Later :twisted:

cmw
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby cmw » 11 Feb 2008 18:51

VLC does not use .NET in any way. VLC also doesn't use DirectShow filters, therefore the problem must be somewhere in the output itself. I have the same issue. It's worse on OpenGL actually than on DirectX Output. I also can't use Direct3D as that will give me extremely SLOW video in Window Mode.

I seem to have fixed it by "accident". I believe you have to turn off "Use triple Buffering" in the DirectX Output Module settings, restart VLC, then enable it again (at least I believe that is what fixed it).

Optionally you can set OpenGl, but be sure to enable "Use triple Buffering" in you GRAPHICS DRIVER configuration (not VLC, there's not an option for that). Both should repari the tearing.

Furthermore: You can check if Overlay is actually used by going to the DirectX Output Module setting and check the "enable Wallpaper Mode" (also, set your System Wallpaper to none while testing this.

FedEx
New Cone
New Cone

Postby FedEx » 12 Feb 2008 03:49

I followed your steps, cmw, it did improve the tearing, but it didnt solve it completely, I was getting tearing in action sequences probably every 20-30 frames
now its down to around every 87 frames... even though the same film is crystal clear in media player classic...

opengl was a bust, made the tearing worse, dx3d slowed the output , dx output is the smoothest outside of ascii art :D, but its still tearing.
unfortunately I havent nailed this down, I guess ill go ahead with the reinstall of the ati drivers...

cmw
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby cmw » 12 Feb 2008 14:46

Did you activate Triple Buffering for Open Gl in your driver settings? That should make OpenGL Tear-Free

EdwinHoegen
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby EdwinHoegen » 25 May 2008 22:25

I also tried to deactivate Triple Buffering and activate Triple Buffering and I've tried every option in the VLC player, but it unfortunately didn't solve my problem. I work with a Parhelia APVe card and this card doesn't support GDI output. Are there other options that I can try?

LordNyson
New Cone
New Cone

Postby LordNyson » 11 Jun 2008 05:54

Its been a while since this topic has been posted on. My problem is similar, not completely the same, however possible solutions to this problem may help with my other screen tearing problems.

My Current Specs are:
CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2200 MHz (11 x 200) 4200+
4GB DDR2-800 RAM
nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT OC - GPU: 650 MHz, Shader: 1625 MHz, Memory: 950 MHz, Memory: 1024 MB
Dual Screening With:
Compaq S900 - 19" CRT Running at 85 Hz
LG L225W (Digital) - 22" LCD Running at 60 Hz - 5ms
I currently have Vertical Sync Forced on in Nvidia Control Panel, and Triple Buffering on in the same application.
I have all my drivers updated fully (my bios is not, though im not sure if that would affect anything).
I however still get screen tearing on both monitors, this happens regularly no matter the size of the movie, I generally only play avi files.
This also happens in some games, specifically CS:S, but does not increase substantially when i run both a movie and game at the same time. Vsync and Triple Buffering helped reduce the amount of screen tearing, having only one monitor also does this, however I require 2 monitors, wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to remedy this problem (not just software, but upgrading of hardware) it would be much appreciated.

Starviper
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Starviper » 13 Jul 2008 09:13

Yeah.. Im also still getting this problem, ive tried all the codecs and buffering/deinterlacing/Post-Processing/ whatever options I could find really. I haven't tried Classic, but i'll give it a shot. It's really bugging the hell out of me, since this is my favorite player but some videos get really bad.
Also, I did try one of the recent Nightly builds and it seemed to help a bit actually. Not sure what is changed but.. Hope it helps.
Specs:
Intel Duo 2.0
XP SP3
2 gigs RAM
Geforce 8600M GT

EDIT: Media Player Classic seems to have fixed the problem I was getting, im almost sad to say. :/

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 20 Jul 2008 20:08

Here is a new build where I used D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_ONE. If you have tearing issues, please try this one with Direct3D output and tell if it is any better.
http://rapidshare.com/files/131165051/v ... D.zip.html

deviation
New Cone
New Cone

Postby deviation » 22 Jul 2008 23:13

This helps a lot, thank you! I'll try and keep you posted if I run into any issues, the video i'm watching seems to have a low framerate and I have yet to determine if it's the video itself or the player. No tearing at all here anymore

deviation
New Cone
New Cone

Postby deviation » 23 Aug 2008 01:55

unfortunately the issue doesnt seem to be completely solved.. im still getting tearing on videos :/

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 23 Aug 2008 16:40

You tried the build I made?

stevebow
New Cone
New Cone

Postby stevebow » 09 Oct 2008 16:19

I just wanted to share how I solved this issue. I was also seeing awful vsync tearing on videos, especially when the camera pans or zooms.

I have an nVidia 8600GS. In the nVidia Control Panel I went to 3D Settings->Manage 3D Settings->Program Settings. In step 1 I added vlc.exe as a program to customize. In Step 2 I scrolled the list of options down to Vertical sync and changed the settings to Force on. I closed the CP and was asked to save changes. Now the tearing is gone, the video is clean on camera pans and zooms.

Hope that helps.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”