the interface Unicode characters bug is back with 0.8.6d

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
secarica
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

the interface Unicode characters bug is back with 0.8.6d

Postby secarica » 05 Dec 2007 21:00

The same bug described in this topic here is present in version 0.8.6d. In fact this was present all the time during the nightlies builds for this version (I have checked from time to time).

Cristi
... I think it's too hard to think

secarica
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: the interface Unicode characters bug is back with 0.8.6d

Postby secarica » 08 Dec 2007 00:23

Well ? At present the "d" version is simply unusable for my language (Romanian). This is how it looks like:

I can take also a snapshot with the French language selected, which looks quite the same. See the other thread for more details.

Cristi

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 08 Dec 2007 05:32

Grr... I will investigate that.
I hate wx.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

secarica
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby secarica » 09 Dec 2007 00:07

If that helps on something, it is the same "libwxwidgets_plugin.dll" file that turns the interface back to normal, if this file is replaced from a previously well-working VLC version (0.8.6c for instance).

Cristi

secarica
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby secarica » 15 Dec 2007 22:47

Well ? Version 0.8.6d will remain broken forever ?

Cristi

MT
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MT » 18 Dec 2007 14:17

Hi

to secarica: yes your are right: this Unicode characters bug is back again with 0.8.6d!

My polish system can't even display the german letters in the VLC menu!
Yes its this "libwxwidgets_plugin.dll" file from the new VLC - d that makes this bug.
I replaced this file with the old one from the c version. The previous version was OK.

sadly, the last VLC 0.8.6 will be a buggy version! I recommend to all polish VLC users
that they should keep or download the good old 0.8.6c version and download separately my polish language file

or just change the libwxwidgets_plugin.dll file with the old one (0.8.6c), so you can still choose
polish in the preferences menu.
Maybe someone can fix that but i don't know if they want to make a VLC 0.8.6e version.

so many of us will still use the good old bugfree VLC 0.8.6c....

MT

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 19 Dec 2007 01:03

F**k, F**k, I will do another version if you want.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

secarica
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby secarica » 19 Dec 2007 01:30

Giving te fact that version 0.8.6d is THE official version currently offered on download, perhaps it might be a good idea to distribute a bug-free version ...
(why the other time this same problem was quickly fixed, but this time appears to be ignored ? why the problem reappeared once it was fixed ? why version 0.9.0 is clean from this point of view ?)

Cristi

MT
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MT » 19 Dec 2007 02:25

I agree that the last 0.8.6 version should be bug free one and this problem shouldn't be ignored!
cuz many users want to use they language on a different system
maybe some one can fix that in the current 0.8.6d ???

If there is a chance to do that i recommend to put also my current polish file into the new version
(link above) and activate the polish language in the installer, like you did it in the current 0.9.0
(http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/changeset/20671) And don't forget to update the news file with
the new polish localization.

MT

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 19 Dec 2007 03:11

Giving te fact that version 0.8.6d is THE official version currently offered on download, perhaps it might be a good idea to distribute a bug-free version ...
(why the other time this same problem was quickly fixed, but this time appears to be ignored ? why the problem reappeared once it was fixed ? why version 0.9.0 is clean from this point of view ?)

Cristi
Because this is more difficult to do.

For 0.9.0, we dropped wx BECAUSE of these kind of problems. This is exactly to help Unicode support, so yes, 0.9.0 will be much better from this point of view.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

MT
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MT » 19 Dec 2007 14:30

Ok!

While the current 0.8.6d is still unusable and none want to correct this
I decided to make a better VLC 0.8.6d Version with my modifications:

1. with the CORRECT old libwxwidgets_plugin.dll file from the previous 0.8.6c - so this shitty unicode bug is gone
2. corrected the NEWS.txt file with polish
3. included the corrected polish pl.po file cuz the old one has a nasty grammar bug in the play list menu
4. and included the still missing installer languages in the vlc.win32.nsi.in file

I uploaded this compiled file to my homepage:
http://www.alice-dsl.net/m_t/vlc_086d_rev2_win32.exe

Please use my VLC version if you use different languages on you system and can not work with the new 0.8.6d cuz of this fu*king unicode bug!
Yes, 0.9.0 will be a beautiful version BUT it isn't finish now or a beta so many of us still use the good old 0.8.6 and will do it further even when 0.9.0 will be released in .... hmm... late 2008?

Thanks

MT

funman
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: All of them

Postby funman » 19 Dec 2007 21:58

thanks for your optimism.

please don't blame us too much for wxwidgets bugs.
You didn't test windows compilation before we release the binary, did you ?

secarica
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby secarica » 20 Dec 2007 00:32

I find strange this particular situation, in which this same bug was once identified and somehow solved, and now it is back again without much chances for solving.

[offtopic] Other than this, I don't understand why the updated Romanian translation was not included in the final package, giving the fact that I have sent a language file update on 14 November (i.e. before official 0.8.6d release) specifically for version 0.8.x (and then again on 9 December, whereas this latest update appears to be missing from the trunk – perhaps because it is a 0.8.x version instead of a true 0.9.x version ?).
I am waiting for a stable release for version 0.9.x (to be frozen, or something), so I can switch my Romanian translation to this version (where will be published this kind of information ?). Until then I am offering full language support for version 0.8.x. [/offtopic]
I tested the Windows precompiled d version approx since its beginning (this was after some time the c version was official) and since then a few times again (from time to time I do the same with version 0.9.x). For the d (beta) version this bug was always there live and well, but being a beta I put no particular attention to this, even if I asked myself why the bug was back again shortly after it was already fixed in version c.

Cristi

funman
Developer
Developer

Postby funman » 20 Dec 2007 01:04

I find strange this particular situation, in which this same bug was once identified and somehow solved, and now it is back again without much chances for solving.
It was identified and forgotten, and guess what, it is a wxwidgets bug, THEIR configure script doesn't recognize --enable-unicode. Hopefully there will be another build for windows in some time.
[offtopic] Other than this, I don't understand why the updated Romanian translation was not included in the final package, giving the fact that I have sent a language file update on 14 November (i.e. before official 0.8.6d release) specifically for version 0.8.x (and then again on 9 December, whereas this latest update appears to be missing from the trunk – perhaps because it is a 0.8.x version instead of a true 0.9.x version ?).
I am waiting for a stable release for version 0.9.x (to be frozen, or something), so I can switch my Romanian translation to this version (where will be published this kind of information ?). Until then I am offering full language support for version 0.8.x. [/offtopic]
I don't know why it has not been included, there is absolutely no reason except the person who merge translations (xtophe) forgotten about it, that can happen. Please resend your translation.

0.9.0 will not be frozen before a while, but I doubt the strings evolve that much, so you can start working on it if you want.
Any way he will mail the translators to warn them that 0.9.0 release will be imminent, so don't worry.
I tested the Windows precompiled d version approx since its beginning (this was after some time the c version was official) and since then a few times again (from time to time I do the same with version 0.9.x). For the d (beta) version this bug was always there live and well, but being a beta I put no particular attention to this, even if I asked myself why the bug was back again shortly after it was already fixed in version c.
Next time don't think we notice all the bugs ;)

secarica
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby secarica » 20 Dec 2007 01:21

I don't know why it has not been included, there is absolutely no reason except the person who merge translations (xtophe) forgotten about it, that can happen. Please resend your translation.
No need for true resending, the package is available at anytime at this location (last update was on 9 December if I remember well). The file is actively maintained and is associated with my page here (page is in Romanian language only).

Ok for the rest, I'm just sitting here with some hope ...

Cristi

funman
Developer
Developer

Postby funman » 20 Dec 2007 02:49

just mail xtophe at nxtelevision dot com when you make an update to the file, giving him the url, so he can merge it

funman
Developer
Developer

Postby funman » 30 Dec 2007 16:34

i merged your file today, and i'm *trying* to look at the wxwidgets bug

secarica
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby secarica » 30 Dec 2007 17:14

Perhaps j-b can remember what he have done the other time ? ... (although I'm not sure if 30 December is the perfect moment for such rememberings :roll:)
(and thank you for the merger ;))

Cristi

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 28 Feb 2008 19:38

Fixed in latest release.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”