Delay WMA [hey that rhymed]

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Delay WMA [hey that rhymed]

Postby CloudStalker » 10 Apr 2007 00:36

I have problems...ok let rephrase that: There are some problems I have...NO! :evil: Alright: 8)

VLC doesn't play wmal (Window media audio lossless) files from the beginning but instead there's always a slight delay of about one second (works fine in Windows media player, Creative media source and Media player classic); This is my problem. :roll:

I've tried recording music to my computer and adding a 2, 3 or even a 4 second delay, I save the project, close the wave editor and start VLC. No matter how much of a delay I add to the audio from the wave editor there's always a slight hiccup at the beginning of the songs. So is there anything that can be done to fix this? Sorry about the strange post. :P

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 10 Apr 2007 06:35

This is because the song is cut to close to it's actual start and the burp you hear is the converters opening. No amount of delay will correct the digital 0s not being there. This can also be a issue in Vorbis, FLAC and Wave files.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 10 Apr 2007 06:41

So why does it seem to work fine in the other media players? Is it possible that VLC will be able to correct this in the future?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 10 Apr 2007 08:46

I have no idea! What I have run across is Vorbis, FLAC and Wave files that are the same in all players. They are just cut to tight. But changing the delay will NOT correct the problem. Try dragging the file into an editor and add padding in the correct format (digital 0s) to the front of the file to see if this resolves the issue. You can also just create some silence and edit it on the front of the file if your editor can't do padding.

I suppose that some files could be right on the edge (so to speak) and VLC is the trigger. When I was doing lots of editing, I would always cut tails and count tempo to the next tune and cut on three rather than four leaving one beat for the pad on the cut and four beats from the last tune. This also generally worked when I did song markers for CDs, but there is nothing wrong with cutting on two if you know you have a problematic format like Vorbis or FLAC.

GamePat
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Delay WMA [hey that rhymed]

Postby GamePat » 10 Aug 2007 19:48

I also have same problem. Have lot of music in wma and it's frustraiting to have the music cut off in the beginning. Also I'm wondering if you can't do this: Like play the file with a delay in the beginning like 2 or 3 seconds, then you would have the delay cut instead of the actual music right? or am I wrong?

On my portable player (Creative jukebox 2) and windows media player the music files in wma is playing ok, so something must be "wrong" in vlc, besides that I just love vlc.

nifelan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nifelan » 16 Apr 2008 20:34

I am experiencing that same problem with the current (0.8.6f) version and ogg vorbis files. This is really annoying when trying to find certain sound effects that don't last for longer than a few seconds. The first half second is completely cut off. Using audacity I saw that the sound wouldn't be much noticeable till 0.2 seconds in the file - but using VLC I get the sound starting only after like 0.4 seconds (which effectively cuts off at least a complete, spoken word).

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 16 Apr 2008 20:42

Does using dmo solves it partially ?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

nifelan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nifelan » 16 Apr 2008 20:56

Does using dmo solves it partially ?
If you'd tell me what dmo is and where to select it, I could tell ;)

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 17 Apr 2008 20:53

nifelan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nifelan » 20 Apr 2008 19:01

nope, no difference.

GamePat
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby GamePat » 05 Aug 2009 11:49

Still not fixed in current version 1.0.1.

I hope that this delay will be fixed in near future. If Windows media player can play wma without any cut off and also creative mp3 players, then there should not be any problem fixing this in vlc?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 05 Aug 2009 18:11

This would require some changes to VLC architecture. So I am guessing it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”