Windows Power Settings

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Windows Power Settings

Postby DJ » 27 Jan 2006 00:48

VLC is not restoring the Windows Power Settings after playing a video and closing the player.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 30 Jan 2006 03:53

I find it difficult to believe no one else has noticed this. :shock:

Windows establishes Power Down settings for Video and your Hard Drive along with the time to go into standby and system hibernate. They are called "Power Schemes". When any media player is used these settings are defeated so that the file is not interrupted during playback. When the player is closed the "Power Schemes" are reestablished.

VLC is not reestablishing the "Power Schemes".

dontthrow

Postby dontthrow » 15 May 2006 18:35

I find it difficult to believe no one else has noticed this. :shock:

Windows establishes Power Down settings for Video and your Hard Drive along with the time to go into standby and system hibernate. They are called "Power Schemes". When any media player is used these settings are defeated so that the file is not interrupted during playback. When the player is closed the "Power Schemes" are reestablished.

VLC is not reestablishing the "Power Schemes".

I am having the same problem. Please suggest if anybody knows how to fix it.

halsnook

Postby halsnook » 20 May 2006 04:42

I too am having this problem.

mechman

Postby mechman » 28 Jul 2006 13:59

Got the same problem. Screen does no longer turn off.
Anyone solved the problem?

Greetings

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 28 Jul 2006 22:26

I have been wondering if anyone else has been experiencing this problem. For me it started showing up in VLC 0.8.4 and now continues with the versions. Going to Windows power utilities and simply pressing OK! clears the problem. But it's annoying to need to do this.

To date a developer has not responded to this issue.

Saribro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Windows Power Settings

Postby Saribro » 29 Jul 2006 00:27

VLC is not restoring the Windows Power Settings after playing a video and closing the player.
Yeah, here too, I was close to posting about it.
[EDIT]For clarity, I've only started seeing this since 0.8.5

mechman

Postby mechman » 29 Jul 2006 18:58

Going to Windows power utilities and simply pressing OK! clears the problem.
In my case it's not that easy. Only reboot solves it.
I've set the timeout to 15 minutes to turn of the screen. After playing a video with VLC this no longer works. Setting the timeout to 5 minutes or shorter the turning off still works, but not if set to 10 minutes or longer.

I'm using Windows XP Professional with latest service packs and updates installed. Only tested with VLC 0.8.5.

If anyone need more information to figure this out, let me hear!

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 29 Jul 2006 21:10

Hmm! Just simply gong to the time set menu and pressing OK! works for me and the time set does not make a difference. However, Microsoft issued a bulletin to manufactures (middle of 04 I think) regarding the loss of power settings. This mainly revolved around Laptops and the changes that occur between battery mode and AC mode. Many Manufactures offered a supplement for Laptops at that time and it generally worked. :)

By the time SP 2 was released this problem had vanished except when using VLC. Now it can also be noted that hardware seems to have a part in this as not all people had problems. This is why I originally started this post. To see if others were

1. still experiencing problems in this area and or
2. if VLC was the only program creating the problem.

From what you describe, it sounds like you never got the supplement or something in SP 2 didn't take or your hardware is stranger than other peoples. :lol:

Saribro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Saribro » 30 Jul 2006 01:42

Well I still have to reselect a timeout to enable the "Apply" button and apply the settings.
But that does the trick, still very annoying though :/.

[EDIT]
That's with VLC 0.8.5, WinXP SP2 fully patched, nForce 2 motherboard with latest drivers.
If there's a log or something I can check to get more clues as to the cause of this, let me know and I'll see if I can find more data to get this fixed :).

Mechman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Mechman » 30 Jul 2006 12:25

The problem appeared the first time I used VLC. It was never there before and I didn't change anything else.
Well, my hardware is a little bit strange. It's a subnotebook from JVC (MP-XP741) identical to a model from Asus. But components are standard (Intel Chipset 855GME with integrated graphics, Pentium M 1,1Ghz with 2MB L2 Cache, 256MB Ram). Graphics driver is the latest. Screen resolution is 1024x600 if this is relevant.
That it only works if time is set to 5 minutes or lower after using VLC is really strange... I would expect it works or it never does, regardless of the time setting.

Is there any way to prevent VLC from changing the power settings? That would be a suitable workaround for me.

If I can provide more information to get this fixed let me know!

Zane
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: latest, always!
Operating System: Win7 x64

Postby Zane » 17 Sep 2006 21:23

Same problem here! Asus A8V (VIA Chipset), Athlon 64, Windows XP SP2, GeFo 5500, dual monitor.
Setting the timeout to 5 minutes or shorter the turning off still works
Uhmm, are u sure? that's doesnt seems to fix the problem for me!
Gianluigi "Zane" Zanettini

Mechman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Mechman » 26 Sep 2006 10:49

Yes, absolutely sure. Tested serveral times.

StefanoA
New Cone
New Cone

Postby StefanoA » 21 Feb 2007 10:34

I'm experiencing the same problem.... I can solve it only re-setting the power settings.

Even for me setting longer or shorter monitor shutdown time doesn't solve the problem (I'm using a notebook).

Did someone report this problem to the VLC support team? Maybe it can be easily fixed.

alokdutt
New Cone
New Cone

Postby alokdutt » 08 Jul 2007 18:37

Hi All,

I have also experienced this problem and has read this thread.

Found this solution.

Open VLC media player. settings > Preferences > click on Video tab on the right corner chk the advanced options chk box now a new set of options will be displayer scroll down to the disable screensaver unchk this san click on the save button .

Video files played will be interrupted with monitor settings but alleast it will ensure that electricity bills are low .

Now even after you have played the a video on VLC media player power settings will remain unchanged .

Ideally this should not happen once the application is closed it should change the windows settings (power settings here) to normal .

Hope the developers are listening to this.

Regards,
Alok

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 08 Jul 2007 22:27

Mitnek
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Mitnek » 09 Sep 2007 19:40

Yeah I have this problem too, disabling the screensaver option in advanced video settings does not resolve the issue. The windows Power Option still defaults as soon as you start up VLC.

It always defaults it to:
Turn off monitor - 15 mins
Turn off HDs - 30 mins
Standby 20 - mins

That really isn't that annoying for me.. on my laptop it changes the advanced settings everytime so when i close the lid of my computer it goes into standby...

Mitnek
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Mitnek » 17 Sep 2007 05:34

Found the solution if you have an ATI integrated card for your laptop: http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1188383980

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”