VLC opens another icon on the taskbar when playing a file. Any fix?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
DukeM
New Cone
New Cone

VLC opens another icon on the taskbar when playing a file. Any fix?

Postby DukeM » 04 Apr 2019 16:37

I recently had to refresh my PC and been having this problem since I reinstalled VLC but haven't before. Basically, what happens is this: Image

I have VLC permanently pinned on the taskbar as shown in the image above (the first VLC icon beside Windows Explorer). But everytime I open a video file, it creates a new one at the end of the pinned programs I have, which is sort of annoying since my reflex is to click on the first VLC icon. This wouldn't be a big deal usually but I have to use a single monitor right now so I wanted to fix it. Clicking the first icon doesn't open a new one btw.

Whenever I unpin the first icon, it also unpins the newly created one, meaning they're from the same location and not two different VLC .exes. I also tried opening multiple windows on other of my pinned programs and they stack up as opposed to splitting like VLC, so I'm guessing it's not something I probably changed in my Windows system either.

As for VLC settings, the only things I have changed are: having a VLC custom skin, Qt interface change where I unchecked the "Resize interface to native video size", and assigning hotkeys for my keyboard media buttons. Things I have done multiple times in the past but have never encountered this problem.

I also have the Allow only one instance and Use only one instance when started from file manager active as I always have.

I'm at my wit's end as I don't know what else I can check to fix this and can't seem to find the right keywords to search posts with this similar problem. Hope you guys here can help me out. Thanks and cheers!

System Info
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.404)
VLC Version: 3.0.6

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: VLC opens another icon on the taskbar when playing a file. Any fix?

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 10 Apr 2019 12:09

You have 2 versions of VLC installed, on your system. Right click should give you the folders where they are.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”